mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "recording audio from motif; nudges from original postition"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
axxe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-20-2009

When i record a midi sequence, the transients begin shortly before how they appear at the grid in logic. Like they supposed to start at the first beat, but instead i hear the sound some miliseconds earlier. its not latency and this is just a problem when recording from the motif and sounds INB.
Anybody knows what is going on? thanks

Im recording right into logic btw, im not recording in the motif and then into logic

thanks alot

Axxe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 03:25 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Are you recording Audio or MIDI? And, if audio, what Audio Interface?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 07:15 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

im recording the midi first...when i look at the midi in the pianoroll, all the notes line up perfectly according to whatever quantization value used. but when i record the sequence to audio, all the notes start earlier than the beat they suppose to be on. I look at the waveforms and the transients and if i zoom in they all start milisecond before the actual beat they supposed to start on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 09:33 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If the XS is slaved to Logic, the only thing I can think of is a sequencer offset setting but, as I think through it- it really can’t be that. A note can’t sound / record before it’s triggered… I’ll have to give it some more thought…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2009 @ 06:58 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

then maybe my motif is not slaved to logic, i only assumed that i had to do this if i was going to record prerecorded patterns in the motif into logic, but im recording straight into logic. but in the utility of my motif, is it supposed to be set to midi or MMC or something else? and what about in logic, i have to have destination 1 checked as motif port 1 right?

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

When i record a midi sequence

Perhaps, I misunderstood this to mean you were recording from the XS sequencer into Logic. Also, are you talking about like tracks? For instance, the MIDI drum track versus the Audio drum track or are you talking about the entire song as a whole?

If you are:
1) Playing the XS and recording the MIDI into Logic. Then,
2) Using the MIDI recorded in Logic to trigger the XS’ Tone Generator and record it a audio in Logic… I still can’t think of how the Audio could necessarily precede the MIDI on a track per track basis. If you have the MIDI edited to your liking, I would apply the quantization destructively (Control + N), and see if that makes a difference. Caution, this permanently sets the quantization you set so, if you need to, experiment by saving the song under another name first…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2009 @ 03:35 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

im recording straight into logic, using the xs as a tone generator or sound module if u like. so im not recording a pattern or song from the xs into logic. i dont use the xs sequencer, i just sequence in logic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2009 @ 11:15 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

Here is a picture of it..

I just recorded the midi track to audio, with quantization on.. I did not move the track one bit…

Image Attachments
Bilde 2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2009 @ 02:19 PM
alwaysuptil1
Total Posts:  137
Joined  02-07-2009

I just ran a couple of test using a rim shot sequenced into Logic, quantized to 8th notes.  I then armed an audio track, recorded the rim shot as Logic triggered the Motif and noticed the same thing you’ve got here.

Then I went into PREFERENCES/AUDIO and tried adjusting the Recording Delay.  I got very close to matching the start of the first Midi note and the audio start,yet right when I was within a few samples of a perfect match it jumped way off.

I then tried not moving the Recording Delay button at all and found that every recording pass I did of the same MIDI triggered rim shot began recording at a different time. (a few milliseconds prior to or just after the MIDI note.)

My conclusion is that MIDI seems fairly unstable. (?)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2009 @ 06:33 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What I suggest is one of the following:

1) Either examine the start point of the MIDI notes in the Event Editor and compare to the start point of the Audio, I bet they are similar… Or,

2) Place your cursor at the beginning of the MIDI region and it click and drag it toward the beginning of the project. I think you’ll find that the first MIDI notes actually start sooner than what is currently shown…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2009 @ 12:46 AM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

I found the Audio chimed in first. 

Record a MIDI channel of a click or rim shot.
Open an Audio channel and record the Audio of the Motif as it is triggered by Logic and you will see that Logic, in what is probably an attempt to make up for latency, shifts the Audio back, causing it to start earlier.  Play them both at the same time and they will not match.  You will hear a flam effect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 12:38 AM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Axxe, I’m going to post the question to the Logic Users Group and see what I get from that side.  Keep you posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 05:51 PM
hotbeatz
Total Posts:  5
Joined  07-21-2009

This is not just a logic problem. I experience this in Samplitude 10 and Cubase 4. It’s due to midi jitter and it is driving me crazy! I use an MPC 5000, rack XS and N8 over 1394 with the Motif 88 as a controller.

Try it. sequence hi hats on 16th notes on a few channels of the Motif. Mutlitrack them into your daw. Zoom in and see how close they are. They dont line up. You can hear a phasing affect as they all play. Now sequence one hi hat track (externally). Record it into your daw several times. You will see that each hi hat hit records RANDOMLY within 3 to 30 ms of the previously recorded track,so latency compensation does not work.

My audio never sounds the same after it is tracked in over the firewire interface. The feel and timing are altered considerably and blatently, and having to nudge each track, everytime is a royal pain. Please advise>

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 06:03 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Doesn’t sound solvable, other than nudging it afterwards.  Not the worst thing in the world.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 06:06 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

This is very interesting to me: my MIDI and Audio are ALWAYS in perfect sync…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2009 @ 12:37 AM
hotbeatz
Total Posts:  5
Joined  07-21-2009

motif8mine,

Are your recordings sample accurate? They line up perfectly? Have you tried several takes of the same material? I’ve tried everything. MTC, midi clock, i’ve even tried recording a 4 bar lead in thinking that it would give the clocks time to align. I’ve tried recording midi to the daw, quantizing and then allowing the computer to trigger the XS. Nothing works. How do we fix this?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2