mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to use wav. files in a song for a live performance"

Posted on: July 01, 2009 @ 02:28 AM
bretasjr
Total Posts:  14
Joined  10-22-2006

Hi everybody.

I would like someone to teach me how can I use a wav file in a live performance. I have recorded the clock noises from Pink Floyd´s song TIME, and need to start playing it at the begining of a live performance. All the rest will be played live along with the band. I don´t know what is the right way to do it. I was wondering if it is possible to blend the clock ticking effect and a track recorded in the motif XS replicating that sound in order to make the tempo information adjustable.

Am I being clear?

After all this, how can I save the work to load it easily before the concert?

One more question. What is the best way to set up voices for a live performance? In most of the songs I should use more than one voice ( eg. piano, organs, pads...)

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2009 @ 06:44 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008
bretasjr - 01 July 2009 02:28 AM

Hi everybody.
I would like someone to teach me how can I use a wav file in a live performance. I have recorded the clock noises from Pink Floyd´s song TIME, and need to start playing it at the begining of a live performance. All the rest will be played live along with the band. I don´t know what is the right way to do it. I was wondering if it is possible to blend the clock ticking effect and a track recorded in the motif XS replicating that sound in order to make the tempo information adjustable.

To load a sample to a sequencer track do the following:

Enter SONG or PATTERN mode
Press [FILE]
Select File TYPE = WAV
Highlight the .wav file
Target the PART / Track you want it to go to
Press [SF2] LOAD

After all this, how can I save the work to load it easily before the concert?

The simplest way is probably just to do a ‘save all’ and load that into the XS before the gig. Obviously you need sample RAM installed on the XS to do this.

One more question. What is the best way to set up voices for a live performance? In most of the songs I should use more than one voice ( eg. piano, organs, pads...)

You should use whatever method works for you. You can use a performance with splits, separate voices, or you could use Song mode and set up a MIX template with each sound you need assigned to individual tracks. The latter option has the advantage of switching between sounds without interruption.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2009 @ 09:49 AM
bretasjr
Joined  10-22-2006

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I successfully put the sample into a track, but it doesn´t play unless I play it from the begining. I know it doesn´t make sense to start playing it from other measure, but how would I do it if needed? I understand that the single note I record is the one that triggers the sample and it has to be sustained on for the entire sample lenght. Is there a better way to do it?

Thank you once again,

Bretasjr.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2009 @ 10:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In your original post you mention that you want to make the tempo adjustable… If you know the musical length (in measures) of the audio clip, you can subdivide the sample so that it is tempo adjustable. This function is called Sample “SLICE”. Basically what you are doing is taking an audio clip and dividing it into multiple time segments. Each “slice” is assigned a MIDI note chromatically to the keyboard - all housed in a single Waveform. The Slice function analyzes the data, creates a new segment for each audio burst and creates a note-on event to trigger the playback of the slice. The MIDI note-on event is precisely timed to trigger the playback of each audio slice and is place on a track of the sequencer assigned to trigger the newly created sliced Waveform.

In a similar fashion to how individual drawings can be made to seem like fluid motion when flipped in front of a camera, the sliced and sequenced data created by the XS SLICE function can animate audio… and make it tempo adjustable!

It has an advanced algorithm that allows it to “fill-in” the gaps created when you attempt to slow down the tempo. You will find that you can tempo adjust data over a large range of tempos without undue artifacts… although your mileage will vary depending on the source material.

Up to a maximum of 128 slices can be made per audio clip (so you are limited to audio clips of up to a maximum of 8 measures) - and because of the small size of the audio slices your data can be started at anytime - not just from the beginning of the entire audio clip. 

The Sample SLICE function is covered in a downloadable tutorial in the SUPPORT area here on Motifator:  Real Time Loop Remix as Applied to AUDIO SLICE & MIDI Phrases

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2009 @ 10:35 AM
bretasjr
Joined  10-22-2006

You are the man! Thank you BM! I´ll study all this material.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 05:43 PM
morrisr
Total Posts:  27
Joined  12-29-2008

How do you load a wav file in a song or pattern so that you can play the kboard while its playing or have it as a track and add music to it to complete a song?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 07:15 PM
morrisr
Total Posts:  27
Joined  12-29-2008

Don’t worry I had to brainstorm it and figure it out myself guys, I also read the manual too. he he he

I am satisfied with my ability to tweek my voices especially the Full Grand Piano, I need help with this one. I am not too please with myself with this one, can anyone say which areas are the primary ones to focus on when tweeking?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2009 @ 07:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We can recommend the following tutorial in the SUPPORT > Motif XS> Download area of this site:

Drum Kit Loop Tutorial

This tutorial goes over how to create (re)samples in the XS and house them in a Drum Kit Voice so that they can ‘play’ from a single note on trigger, either manually or with the sequencer. It shows how to setup so that you can toggle the audio clips on and off using the keyboard.

It would be a simply matter to use this Drum Kit Voice in a Performance or in a SONG/PATTERN and play along with it (this is also covered). Anyway the theory behind the article should give you several things to try and several ideas on ways to proceed.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Changing Voices on Motif XS while playing
Next Topic:

mLAN Questions ››