mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "RIP MICHEAL JACKSON- FARRAH FAWCETT"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: June 26, 2009 @ 01:43 PM
Good__Vibes
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-25-2009

This is really sad news which has only now reached me here in Europe. Like many people, for me it’s a strong reminder that often only when you’ve lost someone, you become fully aware how much you cherished and loved him.

Thank you for sharing your personal impressions Dave. My best wishes to everyone involved in the show production which is still presented at the tour website (http://www.michaeljacksonlive.com) as if it were to start soon - probably a sign of how shocked people feel there.

Rest in peace, Michael.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Dukester:

Scotch...just “maybe” no one really felt as impacted as you with the death of Ali Akbar Khan. That doesn’t make us “culturally deprived (sic)

Scotch actually said ‘depraved’ and not ‘deprived’. There is of course a subtle but sizeable differenece.

With regards to Scotch’s comment, I would add that to expect a forum which is populated in the majority (I am guessing) by US citizens to regard the death of Ali Akbar Khan with anything like the significance of the death of Michael Jackson vacillates between blind optimisim and stupidity.

Let me say that while I personally regard Ali Akbar Khan as a magnificent musician and artist (I was fortunate enough to be invited to see him receive the Ghandi award in London in ‘92), he was not exactly omnipresent in the popular psyche.

Michael Jackson on the other hand will have (in some way), touched the lives of almost anyone between the ages of 10 and 70 in the USA (and indeed my own country - England) . I must say that I find your ‘sitting in judgment’ over the manner in which each person reacts to these deaths presumptuous in the extreme.

Let me posit the following:
It is unlikely that anyone on the forum had his first furtive fumble in the back seat of a Buick while listening to the melifluous strains of the classical sitar. ----(yes.. yes… I know it was a Sarod but I was playing to the gallery!)

On the other hand, it is highly likely that at the moment of one of life’s milestones (first date,/ first slow dance/first car / first prom), one of the many great songs in Mr Jackson’s canon was actually playing.

Scotch:
Do not think me either culturally depraved (or deprived) when reading the above; merely someone who appreciates a great artist regardless of genre.

Best regards,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 06:38 PM
jimjones
Total Posts:  11
Joined  02-17-2009

THANKS DAVE FOR THE EYE OPENER ABOUT MICHEAL JACKSON , HE WAS A GREAT ICON AND INSPIRATION TO ANY ONE WHO LOVES MUSIC.MAY HE REST IN PEACE ....MIKE WAS THE MAN.........

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 07:59 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Scotch actually said ‘depraved’ and not ‘deprived’. There is of course a subtle but sizeable differenece.

With regards to Scotch’s comment, I would add that to expect a forum which is populated in the majority (I am guessing) by US citizens to regard the death of Ali Akbar Khan with anything like the significance of the death of Michael Jackson vacillates between blind optimisim and stupidity.

Let me say that while I personally regard Ali Akbar Khan as a magnificent musician and artist (I was fortunate enough to be invited to see him receive the Ghandi award in London in ‘92), he was not exactly omnipresent in the popular psyche.

Thank you for clearing up “my” error. I was dealing with a measure of annoyance with Scotch and his usual disdain for areas in music that “he” deams as insignificant, or in this case, the ignoring of an artist who “he” holds in much higher esteem. I know the difference but at the moment I made my comment I didn’t “check back” to make sure I was quoting him accurately.

As most of you “probably” are, I’m getting a little weary of the over coverage of the death of Michael Jackson. It seems that all the networks are running the same loop of images, revisiting the same works and rehashing all of the same dowmfalls and issues over the last 48+ hours. The repetition of the “highlights and lowlights” along with the repeated non-information has kind of worn me out. Instead, I’ve just played the songs.

That said, I think I’ll hold off on my commentary on Michael and what “I” witnessed during his career that, maybe, some of you didn’t hear or forgot about.
I suspect Scotch could care less.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 08:11 PM
jmreeves
Total Posts:  449
Joined  03-25-2009

Hi,
Some people make stuff, or make
peoples lives better in some way.
Others stand on the sidelines
and claim they play better.
May these folks pass in peace,
they must have a hell of a band.
Maybe FF plays too.

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 11:12 PM
stramontano
Total Posts:  128
Joined  03-28-2009
TheDukester - 27 June 2009 07:59 PM

As most of you “probably” are, I’m getting a little weary of the over coverage of the death of Michael Jackson. It seems that all the networks are running the same loop of images, revisiting the same works and rehashing all of the same dowmfalls and issues over the last 48+ hours. The repetition of the “highlights and lowlights” along with the repeated non-information has kind of worn me out. Instead, I’ve just played the songs.

That said, I think I’ll hold off on my commentary on Michael and what “I” witnessed during his career that, maybe, some of you didn’t hear or forgot about.
I suspect Scotch could care less.

How are you doing today Mr. Dukester? I hope your well.
don’t take this personal, but I hope N. Korea Nukes the Sh**t outta FLORIDA.

And with that -
I hope you have a wonderful day.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 11:29 PM
stramontano
Joined  03-28-2009

(Laf)just kidding bra - just that I really liked MJ.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 12:57 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Without getting into the details of the story, I and a couple of guys from my singing group were listening to the raves of the bass singer of The Spinners, Pervis Jackson (no relation that I know of), of this “new Motown act” that was about to be launched at the backstage entrance of The Apollo Theatre. We were sceptical as he discribed the act, but listened intently.After a while,as we headed to the train to go home, we passed some “kids” playing around outside an old Ford van. In the rear side window was a sign that read “The Jackson 5”. We thought it was funny and made fun of Pervis’ enthusiasm of this act all the way home. About 2 months later, “I Want You Back” was #1 in the universe.

The first thing that stuck me about Michael was his abilities as a singer. No kid is supposed to have that much understanding about “riffs” let along able to execute. Watching them on Ed Sullivan I could see the zeal and excitement they brought to the stage. Kids,but a maturity about their presentation that, “to me at the time” demonstrated way too much experience for their age. They were like a bunch of “little old souls” singing and playing and popping their routines like “pros”.

I was completely sold on Michael and The Jackson 5 when they did “Never Can Say Good-by”. This was a little kid telling a grown up story that “I” could relate to. In spite of the “bubble gumish” prior hits like “ABC” and “The Love You Save” (my first real J5 favorite),I still appreciated what they were doing and the songs they were releasing. “Good-by” SOLD me on them for good! Years later, my son was going on and on about how great the “Thriller” Michael Jackson was as if I didn’t know. I went into my closet and pulled out the first 7 Jackson 5 and the first to solo Michael Jackson albums. I walked back into the room and said, “Michael Jackson”? I did the albums like dealing out cards, and with each one I said, “There’s Michael Jackson! There’s Michael Jackson! There’s Michael Jackson!” until the last album hit the floor. His eyes like lit up! “You ‘KNOW’ about Michael Jackson?” I said, “Boy! You ain’t got nothing on me!”

This is already getting too long. Suffice it to say, “I” think Michael Jackson did so much through his music and performance to impact world wide social unity across racial, national and gender lines like none before him in the industry. This doesn’t come without the some controversies as the result of living in a fishbowl with those on the outside viewing him with magnifying glasses. Perfect? Hardly. “Mayflower Truck” carrying all of his baggage? Absolutely!! But his impact on the pop culture in spite of it all is permanent and without question.

With all the talk about “Thriller” and the videos from the album, no one is talking about “Can You Feel It” with The Jacksons that changed the way videos would be done early on in the growth of the medium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1fXL3s7bk
The one thing that always bothered me about this video was the the “sound effects” buried the vocal performance...but I digress.

All in all...tremendous body of work and contributions. He was “Bad” and a “Thriller”.
....some of “my” thoughts

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 03:22 PM
planetrokka
Total Posts:  72
Joined  03-31-2008

Hi, I´m from Germany.
The first record I ever called my own was Michael Jacksons “Off The Wall” album.
I was 6 years old when I get it.
And you know what: I PLAYED IT ON & ON !!! NONSTOP, again & again....
“Don´t stop till I get enough” & danced my ass off, ha,ha

Feels strange to Laugh & cry at the same time ;-) ;-(
I think he gave us all he got

Thank you so much
R.I.P Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 06:51 PM
stramontano
Joined  03-28-2009

DavePolic and Dukester.
Thanks for those stories.

Great insight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 10:25 AM
Coowallsky
Total Posts:  1004
Joined  06-18-2003
scotch - 25 June 2009 10:40 PM

No response to the Ali Akbar Khan thread, but laments for Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon? This forum isn’t just ignorant, it’s culturally depraved.

More fodder from mental eunuch.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2009 @ 02:59 AM
MoGut
Total Posts:  1535
Joined  05-08-2004
DavePolich - 26 June 2009 01:48 AM

Well, this is as good an opportunity as any to comment on this subject.

I have been the programmer for the Michael Jackson tour since April
22nd. That is where I have been for the last three months. We were
rehearsing at the Staples Center this week - MJ’s death was announced to band and crew today on the floor of the Staples Center
about fifteen minutes after he passed away. I saw people collapsing, crying, devastated. It was like 9/11 - a complete and utter shock to everyone.

So here is what I can say. I never spoke to MJ, but I did have the
opportunity to watch him at rehearsals. I was within a few feet of
him several times. He was very wired, in great spirits, very excited about this comeback. Really into it. From everyone I talked to, many of whom worked for him for decades, and from my own observations, I can tell you that Michael Jackson was a person with a good heart who wanted nothing more than to entertain people and make great music. He worked very hard and even though the only
people at rehearsals were the production people, crew, and band,
he performed for us. We were the last people to see him on a stage.
He worked hard until the very end, which came today.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I for one take back anything
I ever said that was derogatory about MJ. I saw that people loved
him immensely and he returned that love. He always thanked all of
us profusely at the end of every rehearsal. He said he loved
each and every one of us and thought we were all the best in the
world at what we did. I believed him.

I won’t forget that I was one of the last to see Michael Jackson alive. That is how I will remember him. This was the greatest
musical experience of my life.It was seven days a week, 16 hours a day.  I’m stunned that it’s over and it will take me a long time to assimilate what has happened.

One thing is for certain, I am a better person for it.

Im reading this way late, but what a great gig that must have been for you DP. Were you programming synth stuff? motif stuff? What was your role as programmer? I’d love to hear any cool techie stuff you had going on for this job.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2009 @ 11:41 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

I programmed the sounds for the keyboard rigs. We had two keyboard players - Michael Bearden (who was also the Musical Director for the band), and Morris Pleasure.

I am working with Keyfax right now to put together a feature on
programming for the MJ Tour, it may even turn into a video.
I have also been working with Keyboard Magazine on an article about it which will appear in a future issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2009 @ 12:02 PM
MoGut
Total Posts:  1535
Joined  05-08-2004
DavePolich - 13 July 2009 11:41 AM

I am working with Keyfax right now to put together a feature on
programming for the MJ Tour, it may even turn into a video.

Oh excellent!

But dont turn it into just a yamaha fanboy-fest, unless of course thats what it was. :P I think it would cool to hear about ALL the gear and geeky details :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2009 @ 03:33 PM
jmreeves
Total Posts:  449
Joined  03-25-2009

Hi,

DP.. my sympathy to you and all those
folks who almost went on tour (nightmare
scenario). I think they used him up and then
threw him away.. you were around, you know much
better that me, what a waste. I am reminded of
the nice doctor in Pink Floyd The Wall.

TD that must have been past strange, one
minute you are yukking it up and then who shows
up on the TV. You mentioned the marionettes
feel.. the back story is not fun.. it’s around,
look if you like, they don’t call it the music
business for nothing, these guys play dirty.

I detest them.

John

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Ali Akbar Khan Is Dead
Next Topic:

regarding Tom Dowd, Laurel Canyon, history.. ››