mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "128 Factory Performances"

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 08:06 AM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

I was watching my DVD (A Complete Guide to the Yamaha Motif ES) and during the chapter on creating Performances, the video mentions “going through the 128 internal Performances”.

I bought mine used and evidently all factory “Performances” were erased before I received it. I am having a blast creating my own but would have been interested in exploring the factory set. Out of the 3 discs that come with the ES, I received the Tools and Sound Library discs. I have looked through the contents and tried to load PERFORMANCE but it doesn’t find any. Will resetting my machine bring them back? I have saved everything already so point me in the right direction if you would be so kind! Thanks in advance!

Mr. Brad

(my name is Brad as well and I thought with a little play on words I could prevent any confusion. If only I could do a Vulcan Mind Meld with the original ...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 11:23 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Do a factory reset AFTER saving all your own stuff.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 11:49 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

I caught that in the owner’s manual about 10 minutes after I posted the question. Before I posted I had looked in the index and couldn’t find anything about resetting. Anyway, that did it and I’ve been checking out the factory performances ever since. Thanks for the quick reply though Joop! And I know ... RTFM !!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 01:23 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Besides, those Yamaha manuals ain’t so bad.
But people must take their time to scan them entirely.
Too many questions in this forum have been answered
over the years by “Read page X”.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 01:54 PM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004
sciuriware - 23 June 2009 01:23 PM

Besides, those Yamaha manuals ain’t so bad.
But people must take their time to scan them entirely.
Too many questions in this forum have been answered
over the years by “Read page X”.

;JOOP!

The manuals are fairly complete, but not necessarily intuitive to a new user IMHO. Once you know the instrument, the manuals make much more sense.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 03:04 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

You ain’t seen nothing yet.
For instance, the manual of my TV-set!
At least, on the motif you can leave menu-situations
by pressing EXIT; my TV hasn’t one .....

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 03:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Manuals are textbooks… best in small doses as you come up with questions. Reading it cover to cover… not sure that really helps as much as people think. You have to be pushing the buttons as you read the manual… doing the process.

Reading about saving to a USB driver when you have not data to save is really just reading (spending time). Your attention to what your doing when you actually have something to save is much more focused.

If you do all the tutorials (and I’d be willing to bet that pick any 100 synth owners, 100 will tell you they read the step-by-step tutorials but, in fact only about 20 actually have executed the steps while reading through the book) you can pick up rather quickly.

You are right once you know something about the synth, reading it a second time the light bulbs really start to go on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 05:02 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

That’s why I said “scan”.
It takes only a few minutes to browse through the manual to know
what it’s all about and where it is if you need to know more.
I get the impression that most motif owners did only the first
few pages and pictures and then threw it on a shelf.

On the other hand, you simply can’t try all 768 (ES) Voices
in one day and decide which one is useful for what.
A modern synthesizer (workstation) is a source of exploration,
may be for years.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 05:15 PM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

Put the paper manual aside and download the PDF manual so you can do a keyword search.

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 05:18 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Good idea, but in the paper version you can make notes and highlights.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 05:41 AM
ohernie
Total Posts:  450
Joined  10-13-2003

Yeah, but you can’t find anything unless you already know where it is.  Find it, fix it, highlight the manual for future reference.

Ernie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 07:06 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

I have been reading away and you guys are right, it’s not very intuitive. It does help that I have figured some of this out already and when I read the things I know they do make more sense. The video is not a whole lot better either. I find myself stopping and rewinding and looking at which buttons he pushed and replaying until I “get it”. But it is coming along nicely. It seems every day I uncover another little tidbit that makes me glad as hell I purchased this board! Ernie’s suggestion about doing a keyword search on teh pdf manual sounds like something I may try. Adobe Reader WILL let you use a highlighter on items and bookmark them as well. HEre’s to more reading and working through the tutorials.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ -=Rebuilt Fantom EP’s for Motif XS=-
Next Topic:

Accordion / Musette Sounds ››