mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Classic Mo-6 to Garageband"

Posted on: June 18, 2009 @ 02:53 PM
paul76
Total Posts:  13
Joined  11-11-2008

With help from the Forum guru’s, I was able to save my music as SMF files and move it to Garageband in my Macbook(thanks guys).  Now that I have it there, it only opens/plays using Garageband instruments.  Is there a way to import music from the Motif to GB while retaining the original Motif instruments?  Do i need a specific driver for this?  Very frustrated.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2009 @ 06:17 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

The midi information contains no audio information.
So GB routes the MIDI info to its own tone generator, which then produces the sounds you hear.
To get the motif to make the sound, you have to route the midi out of GB and into the Motif.

If you have a MIDI interface, then make sure GB is sending the midi info out via that interface and that the Motif is connected to it :) (In Utilities/MIDI/Other, check that you have MIDI selected in the MIDI/USB switch)

If you don’t have a midi interface, you can always connect using the USB-MIDI driver which you can find over at http://www.yamahasynth.com - get the right one for your OS - I suppose GB means you are on a Mac :)
Once you have the USB driver installed, follow the instructions for connecting your Motif using a MIDI cable.
You need to select USB in Utilities/MIDI/Other.
You’ll also need to send the midi infor out of GB and into the motif by selecting the yamaha-usb 0-1 connection.

Hope this gets you going

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2009 @ 10:27 PM
paul76
Joined  11-11-2008

Hey Wellie, thanks for helping me. Yeah, all i really wanted to do was move my music from my Classic Mo-6 to my Macbook so I could burn it to a CD. I didn’t want to invest in a separate CD burning device since I knew I could do it somehow on my Mac. Personally, I’m not a big fan of Garageband, but since I can’t afford to buy Logic-Pro at the moment I was hoping GB would suffice.  So from what you said all I need is an Interface right?  Something like...i think it’s called the Apogee(sp)Duet?  Would that or something like it do the trick?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2009 @ 07:24 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Paul,

I was actually pointing you towards a MIDI device :)

But, ok if you want to get audio into GB to burn a CD then you will need to do both things:

1 Get midi OUT to the Motif

2 Get Audio back IN to GB.

I have described ways and means of doing 1, above.
However, a box such as an MBox can handle Audio AND Midi. I do not know the facilities of the Apogee, but am guessing that it is an audio interface box of sorts, able to handle stereo out and in. Cool - go for it. But have a good look around - note that many cards come bundled with versions of software which may make your sequencing/programming and WAV/AIFF file creation a little easier.
My MBox2 came with Pro-tools LE - all well and good, though i use it with Cubase :). Cards from the Roland stable will be bundled with a version of Sonar. Yamaha Cards will come with a version of Cubase. So have a look at what comes with the card. I would suggest that a Yamaha card with a Cubase bundle may well give you mare joy than any old card running into GB. But it has to be down to your own research and your own choice.

Incidentally, whilst I use my MBox for audio duties, I usually use the Yamaha USB-Midi driver into my motif to handle midi duties.

I hope this all makes sense - do come back if you need more clarity.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2009 @ 09:24 PM
paul76
Joined  11-11-2008

Wellie, you have given me more information and ways of approaching this than I realized.  Thank you for the tremendous insight!  I’ll let you know how it goes (or if it doesn’t. lol).  Take care.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 05:36 PM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

Paul,

If you want to try something other than GarageBand on your mac until you can afford something better you can try the Mac beta of Reaper from

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

It’s shareware ($60) but not crippled in any way and is a full featured package (found it mentioned in Sound-on Sound magazine a while ago). I’m running it on an old G4 and it works well.

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI through
Next Topic:

Memory, Smart Media, Patterns ››