mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using MO8 as DAW Midi controller in Logic"

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 02:39 AM
wilsonhiroband
Total Posts:  7
Joined  04-20-2009

Hello. I have been having difficulty setting up my mo8 as a midi interface to control logic pro8 on my macbook. It is currently connected to my macbook via usb. I have downloaded and installed studio manager 2, the hardware update for the mo8, the usb midi driver, and the voice editor. Unfortunately, the midi driver does not show up under audio-midi settings. Also, on my mo8, there is no sequencer tab under the utility settings, making it impossible to chance my “quick setting.” (unless I am doing something wrong). This is frustrating for me because my mo8 is essentially worthless to me if I can’t use it as a midi controller.

Thank you,
Hiro.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 12:03 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

This is frustrating for me…

I fully understand. Even with calling both Yamaha and Apple Pro Support, it took me three months and $60+ dollars in book purchased before I was was able to properly setup and use Logic and my XS. But, it’s pretty simple when you know what to do…

Also, are you using Logic Pro 8, Express or another version?

I have downloaded and installed… the usb midi driver… Unfortunately, the midi driver does not show up under audio-midi settings.

There are only two reasons why the USB Driver would not show up. First, the driver is not show up until the MO8 is physically connected to the MBP and set to operate via USB as follows: [UTILITY] âžž [F5] MIDI âžž [SF4] OTHER âžž MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Second, if the driver still does not appear, it is not properly installed. You would need to follow the instructions to uninstall, reboot and reinstall the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver…

Also, on my mo8, there is no sequencer tab under the utility settings, making it impossible to chance my “quick setting.

It sounds like you may have read one of my posts for the XS. The ‘Quick Set’ as it’s called in the MO8 is found on page 208 of the manual… (see pic below)

Also for Remote DAW control, that button (DAW Remote) must be engaged on the MO8 and the MO8 set to control Logic as per page 114 of your manual.

This post should walk you through all the steps… http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/443101/

EDITED ON 6/17/2009 AT 11:08AM

Note Also: I believe DAW Control Uses Port #4 on the MO8, if things still are not working, this port may have to be manually set in Logic…

Image Attachments
Picture 3.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 02:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Note Also: I believe DAW Control Uses Port #4 on the MO8, if things still are not working, this port may have to be manually set in Logic…

Here’s how: Select from the toolbar:  Preferences> Global>Control Surfaces>Setup and make sure the Out Port is set to your MLAN channel 4 (for MO8)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 09:58 PM
wilsonhiroband
Joined  04-20-2009

Thank you very much for your reply. I have in fact uninstalled & reinstalled my usb midi driver. I also have set my mo8 to usb functionality. I have yet to change any settings in Logic Pro 8 (not express). Regarding your post, I have yet to find the midi driver under “audio midi settings”, though I have created an external midi device and have named it MO8. I still don’t know how to find the sequencer tab under my utilities on my mo; there is probably something I don’t know about that I need to change.
Thanks for all of the help,
-Hiro.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 11:25 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I have in fact uninstalled & reinstalled my usb midi driver. I also have set my mo8 to usb functionality. I have yet to find the midi driver under “audio midi settings”

The first time I loaded the Yamaha USB MIDI Driver, I remember having quite a time getting it to properly uninstall and reinstall. But, believe me- if it is properly installed AND your MO8 is connected via a working USB cable AND the MO8 is set to operate via USB, the driver will appear in AMS automatically. If you are not seeing it, open up the uninstall instructions again an go through more thoroughly… and, remember to reboot before reloading the driver. (I’ve renamed mine and changed in the icon in the pic below). Also, I don’t believe the MO8 should be connected while you are installing...

I still don’t know how to find the sequencer tab under my utilities on my mo

The Utility is context sensitive. That is, you must be in either song or pattern mode in order to se the ‘Quick Set’ option. Enter Song Mode- Press UTILITY] âžž [F3] SEQ âžž [SF4] QUICKSET

Image Attachments
AMSPIC.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 05:27 PM
HappyHarryNET
Total Posts:  488
Joined  12-10-2006

additionally, i have the USB driver installed, but am NOT using my XS via USB, so in LogicPro8 the USB MIDI device shows up, but no device is there

note: sometimes it can be helpful to know the reverse scenario

;;cheers;;

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2009 @ 08:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

additionally, i have the USB driver installed, but am NOT using my XS via USB, so in LogicPro8 the USB MIDI device shows up, but no device is there

note: sometimes it can be helpful to know the reverse scenario

Thanks,
There are any number of scenarios that I was not addressing. It is possible, (for instance), to have saved an Environment containing a Usb-Driver even though it has been deleted from the AMS and it will still show up in Logic.

I was speaking to a very specific instance of attempting to setup the Driver for the first time… :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 10:44 PM
wilsonhiroband
Joined  04-20-2009

Thanks for all of your help. Broader question: how do you program custom midi assignments in DAW mode without screwing up daw mode (specifically in logic pro)? I find that when I replace preassigned functions like a volume fader to a custom function like a drawbar in B4 II, the fader stops sending out any midi signal altogether. Very frustrating…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2009 @ 10:47 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

First, can you please clarify what you mean by DAW Mode? Are you referring to controlling the DAW Remotely from the XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Problems in Logic
Next Topic:

Motif + Mlan + Logic still unclear. ››