mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Notes dropping with Noteshift…?"

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 11:44 PM
aarryn
Total Posts:  222
Joined  03-09-2006

Perhaps this has been addressed previously, and if so, my apologies in advance, but...can someone please explain to me the differences between Noteshift and Transpose? I feel like an idiot…

When I record, I’m a bit of a cheater because I only find it comfortable to play in certain keys - I use the Noteshift function quite a bit, hoping my songs don’t end up sounding too similar.

But while playing back a recent recording, I noticed some notes were missing from a track. Upon investigation, it turns out that the keys G5 and Ab5 weren’t producing any sound on that voice. Noteshift was set at (-2). Changing the value to (-3) added A5 to the list of keys producing no sound, (-4) added Bb5, etc., etc…

Wierd. Saved everything, did a Factory Reset, same results. This doesn’t happen, however, when I use the Transpose function. It also only happens on this particular voice, which is the 3 Layer S700 loaded from external HDD. Reloading the voice didn’t fix the issue, either.

In the Manual, the definitions for both functions are nearly identical (Utility Mode, p. 260):

Noteshift: “Determines the amount (in semitones) by which the pitch of all notes is shifted.”

Transpose: “Determines the amount in semitones by which the range of the keyboard is shifted up or down.”

Only difference I can see is that Noteshift has a wider range (24 vs 11). Also, Utility-Transpose setting doesn’t apply to recordings in Song mode, it must be matched in Song mode itself.

I know it seems like a moot point because I’ve figured out how to fix the original problem, but I hate this feeling like I am missing some part of the big picture here.

Thanks in advance :)

-Aarryn

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 05:00 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

See the following: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/349042/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 05:14 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

also note here: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/KnowledgeBase/KnowledgeBaseDetail.html?CNTID=25901&CTID;=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 05:20 PM
aarryn
Joined  03-09-2006

Thanks, motif8mine.
Yes, that all makes sense to me, and it seems I wasn’t really missing too much. Though, it still doesn’t explain the dropped notes on the higher register. Wondering if its a glitch within that particular sound file…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 05:45 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

You didn’t say what voice you were playing but, in the real world, instruments (just like vocalists)[/], do not have the same playing or vocal range and depending on the voice chosen, it may be programmed not to exceed the actual range of the real instrument.

I do not use this function however, it sounds like noteshift is shifting that range both top and bottom…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 05:55 PM
aarryn
Joined  03-09-2006

Thanks again :)

Plausible theory indeed. And originally, I had considered this.
Suppose I should have explained this -

It was the 3 Layer S700 piano voice, and all the notes directly above AND below the ones mentioned played just fine.

Plus, if this were the case, the notes from the lower octave would have been used, as noted in the manual:

“If you transpose beyond the note range limits (C2 and G8), notes in the adjacent octaves will be used.”
Guess I’m just assuming this is the same for noteshift.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Samples cutting off?
Next Topic:

Motif es 6 remote controling Cubase 5 ››