mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES, Mlan16e and cubase4"

Posted on: June 14, 2009 @ 07:22 PM
hansjbs
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-14-2009

Hello everyone,
I’m new to this forrum and having problems with setting my motif es,mlan and cubase4. I did everything according to the manuals and online help on how to connect it to cubase sx 3. I don’t know if there’s a cubase 4 setup with motif or if there’s any changes but so far i got no luck.
Ok first i can get audio in to cubase 4 with regular audio in via Mlan. But for some reason when i tried it with midi tracks and opening up studio manager go thru all the setups and setting up motif mlan outputs( part 1:as1, Part2: as2, Part3: as3....) i can’t hear anything. if they’re on regular(L&R;) i can hear sounds but it looks like it’s playing it and sending midi data to all the chanels instead of one part per chanel like i set it.
I know it’s kinda confusing to explain but what i really need is a STEP BY STEP instruction on seeting motif es, mlan 16e and cubase 4 from someone who has it working already and working right like it’s suppose to work thru midi in and studio manager. I just bought the mlan card and now i’m regretting it.

Please help
Thanx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 07:09 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I have set up the similar setup as yours last night (only difference is Cubase SX) and I should say: NEVER regret for buying mLAN!! I’m glad that I bought it recently and now have my ES completed!! Now about my setup:
Suppose that you have install the latest software (mLAN driver 1.63, Studio Manager 2.3, Editors v2.2). After connecting ES to PC via firewire cable you should select Auto connector (right click on mLAN monitor icon).
I set Wordclock to PC, 44.1kHz, 16bit, 16out channels, 8in channels, stereo out to channels 15 and 16.
Than in Cubase go to Devices menu, call Studio Manager and in workspace place MultiEditor and VoiceEditor. Also check ‘set default’ option.

But for some reason when i tried it with midi tracks and opening up studio manager go thru all the setups and setting up motif mlan outputs( part 1:as1, Part2: as2, Part3: as3....) i can’t hear anything.

As I understand, you are confused with Audio and MIDI. You send MIDI notes, commands, etc. via MIDI channels and what you are played on any channel (track) you will hear via mLAN audio master output L&R;.
Under MIDI setup in Studio Manager set your MIDI ports/channels:
- mLAN In to MIDI in
- mLAN Out to MIDI out.
- mLAN In(3) and mLAN Out(3) set for remote channels.
Set bulk time to 15ms.
In Motif go to Utility mode and press [F4] CTL ASN - [SF4] REMOTE. There you should choose for Mode A ‘Cubase’ from the list and set Port 4, while for Mode B select ‘General’ and port 3. Store your utility settings with Store button!
Since I don’t use MIDI Thru in Cubase, I leaved in Motif MIDI settings LocalCtrl to on (that’s only difference to the guides).

For audio I/O I have created 8 input stereo buses:
BUS 1 (mLAN 1,2), BUS 2 (mLAN 3,4), etc.
In that case BUS 8 is master stereo out from Motif.
As outputs I defined 4 buses: mLAN1 (mLAN 1,2), mLAN2 (mLAN 3,4), mLAN3 (mLAN 5,6), mLAN4 (mLAN 7,8).
Just to give you example: a friend of mine who is now in Holland saved SX project with audio files played on his guitar.
I placed MIDI channels in that file, while for his audio tracks I used my mLAN1 bus as output. In that case I could hear his guitar along with my keyboard performance that I recorded on MIDI tracks! Also, I have added some Motif reverb to his guitar.
Now for me mLAN is the completely new way of musical thinking!
Hope that this help you to complete your setup and enjoy music.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 08:38 AM
hansjbs
Joined  06-14-2009

I understand the fact that you can record audio coming from Mlan into cubase. i got that part right and i understand the diffrence between midi and audio. What i was trying to say is thatfrom what i read from different manuals(motif and cubase), I can set midi track in cubase and set each one to a part in the motif vial Mlan this way i can record the tracks from my motif into cubase thru studio manager as a “midi track”. That’s what i’ve been trying to do. I don’t know if i have it wrong but that’s what i think it means.example if i set midi track 1 to mlan midi in, it’s cool i can hear but if i add a second midi track and set it to mlan midi in(2), i can’t hear anything from that midi track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 10:14 AM
A-Bomb1200
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-11-2009

Hey man I am new also and I was going to buy the mlan card also.
But after hearing you I don’t know. I am already having problems with the motif Es. Not by itself so much but when using it in sx3 when the studio manager is open and Im in voice editor or multipart editor. Can you please step me through setting up the voice,multipart editors. I did get the multipart working before. But never the voice editor completely,when editing the elements I dont hear any of the changes I made or if I choose a different apr or just turn on the apregiator. I only can do this in the motif itself.I should be able to control everything in voice editor with my mouse and not have to touch the board. I cant get it synced rite. I dont want to trade in my motif but I have been working on this problem for a while. I just want to use it to its full potential, and be able to edit and make new user voices by editing the elements.Edit,customize and layer my drums Please HELP Thanks
A-Bomb1200

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

Here’s where you’re going wrong. I occasionally get it confused too.

On the mLAN card, there are 16 midi PORTS. Each port has 16 CHANNELS.

With the ES, the mLan In (1) is the port, and the only port, the ES can use to talk to Cubase for the multi-timbral tracks in it’s normal sound engine. If you’re in Song Mode on the ES, then each track is assigned to an individual midi channel there, and you also assign the midi channel in Cubase. But in the midi setup in Cubase, you can only use the mLan In (1) port for the tracks. Within the port are the 16 channels.

That being said, the ES also uses midi ports 2, 3, and 4, but they are for controlling the remote functions and plug-in cards.

Be careful when booting up the PC and let the mLan manager finish negotiating setup before you fire up Cubase. The icon in the task manager should flash 3 or so times, and then you’re ready to fire up Cubase. It takes my PC a good 20 seconds. If you jump the gun you’ll get errors. Likewise, when you launch Cubase, don’t send any midi information. My rule is that when the mLAN manager is negotiating on start up, or Cubase is launching, TOUCH NOTHING!

You don’t need Studio Manager to do any of this by the way. That’s a whole ‘nother topic. It is handy though and I use it frequently.My setup with the mLAN, ES, and AI4 runs flawlessly unless I do something stupid.

Try again. You’ll get it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 06:47 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
hansjbs - 16 June 2009 08:38 AM

I understand the fact that you can record audio coming from Mlan into cubase. i got that part right and i understand the diffrence between midi and audio. What i was trying to say is thatfrom what i read from different manuals(motif and cubase), I can set midi track in cubase and set each one to a part in the motif vial Mlan this way i can record the tracks from my motif into cubase thru studio manager as a “midi track”. That’s what i’ve been trying to do. I don’t know if i have it wrong but that’s what i think it means.example if i set midi track 1 to mlan midi in, it’s cool i can hear but if i add a second midi track and set it to mlan midi in(2), i can’t hear anything from that midi track.

OK, I understood what you have done. For playing/recording MIDI from - to Motif, you will only use mLAN MIDI In/Out not (2),(3),… because those are other ports with 16 MIDI channels each.
You will use (like me) port 2 if you have installed PLG cards in Motif, port 3 is for remote control of MultiPart Editor and port 4 is for remote control of Cubase (or some other DAW).
So, leave mLAN MIDI In as input and just change channel number according your tracks (1-16) in Motif.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 07:02 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007
A-Bomb1200 - 16 June 2009 10:14 AM

Hey man I am new also and I was going to buy the mlan card also.
But after hearing you I don’t know. I am already having problems with the motif Es. Not by itself so much but when using it in sx3 when the studio manager is open and Im in voice editor or multipart editor. Can you please step me through setting up the voice,multipart editors. I did get the multipart working before. But never the voice editor completely,when editing the elements I dont hear any of the changes I made or if I choose a different apr or just turn on the apregiator. I only can do this in the motif itself.I should be able to control everything in voice editor with my mouse and not have to touch the board. I cant get it synced rite. I dont want to trade in my motif but I have been working on this problem for a while. I just want to use it to its full potential, and be able to edit and make new user voices by editing the elements.Edit,customize and layer my drums Please HELP Thanks
A-Bomb1200

I gave you answer for setting Cubase SX in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/443894/

If you whant to buy mLAN16E, hurry up, since Yamaha have discontinued this product, so it would be difficult to find it (I bought recently from http://www.wholesalemusic.com).
If you set your MIDI channels/ports in Studio Manager, than it should not be any problem to communicate with editors. When you are using VoiceEditor, be sure that you have switch to Voice Mode in Motif. When you have made some changes in Voice Editor, you should transmit bulk to Motif, than press store button and save that voices to ALL file.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2009 @ 07:43 PM
hansjbs
Joined  06-14-2009

I got it. For some reason...DOn’t ask me why...Cubase record all midi data from motif es in Mlan MIDI in only. SO this is what i did.

* Run Auto connector(set pc-> Motif ES to 8 chan---PC<-Motif es 14 chan)
* I open cubase 4, add a midi track, set midi in to mlan midi in.
* Then I open studio manager with the setings for midi in,out ect..
* Then i run ES Multi editor within studio manager
* Load already recorded song on motif ES( or setup voices you gonna record)
* Click on setup in multi editor and do a receive multi bulk.
* Then start recording song from motif in cubase as a midi track.
* After recording, right click on the recorded midi data,go to MIDI
and dissolve part. This will dissolve that on midi track into 16 midi track. Delete unwanted track.
There you go. I love my Motif and Mlan 16E Now. I’m now able to record either 16 midi or 16 audio track from my motif to cubase via mlan.  NIIIICCCEEEEEEE

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 12:52 PM
A-Bomb1200
Joined  06-11-2009

Thanks alot for helping me, without you guys I wouldn’t have this thing still. But can somebody please tell me a lil bout voice editor,Im still figurin this out. I have to have SX sequencer on,in loop. If I want to hear the Apregiators in voice mode. To change them. Is this normal?  what is the best way to werk with SX and the studio manager,multipart editor and particularly voice editor. The Apregios etc. 
Thanks Again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 02:06 PM
A-Bomb1200
Joined  06-11-2009

Also can someone please tell me what Mlan I need for My motif es 6. I noticed one is 260 the other is 490 -500. That a big price difference. MY16M card is the more expensive,The Mlan 16E2 is cheaper.How many Mlan devices are there and whats best for the motif es and cubase sx in winXP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2009 @ 06:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There are three different mLAN cards. PLEASE do not confuse them - only one will work for the Motif ES:

1) There is only one card that will work in the Motif ES: this is the mLAN16E

2) The MY16mLAN card is only for Yamaha Digital Mixers (01V96, 02R96, DM1000, DM2000) - it does not work in a keyboard are at all.

3) The mLAN16E2 is only for the Yamaha Motif XS and the Motif-Rack XS.

Hopefully you can still find one.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pedal Wah effect on ES
Next Topic:

Samples cutting off? ››