mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Firewire Hub"

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 10:45 AM
jjmotifman
Total Posts:  15
Joined  03-23-2009

I want to thank everyone for your patience with me being a newbie still.  There is an overwhelming amount of information to understand. 

I had a question about a simple set-up arrangement and if it is possible.  Originally, I had my output of my Motif XS8 going through my Duet using Logic as the DAW.  I reconnected everything and am just using the output going directly to my speakers now and have the firewire connected to the Motif rather than the Firewire connected to the Duet.

I was wondering if getting some sort of Firewire hub would allow me to keep the output going through the Duet (using a firewire for that) AND using Firewire connected to the Motif into Logic.  I was thinking of a Firewire hub because I would need two Firewire connections. 

It is not essential but I was wanting to do this for convenience reasons so I would not have to keep changing my physical connections.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 05:37 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

You are not gong to be successful trying to run audio through a hub. It takes me all of about 30 seconds to move the firewire cable from my XS to my Audio Interface when I wan to record vocals. (The interface is already hooked to powered monitors, of course).

Properly set up, Logic will automatically prompt you that your setup has changed and give an option to use the new Audio Interface (and vice versa when reconnecting mLAN).

Also, what kind of MAC do you have?  My Macbook Pro has (2) firewire ports: 1-6 pin & 1-9 pin. You can find 9 pin to 6 pin adapters just about everywhere. I mention this because, if you connect both mLAN and the Duet at the same time, you can create an Aggregate Device in AMS that would give you 18 channels into Logic (16 from mLAN & 2 from the Duet). Be cautioned however, that some people have noticed performance issues with the option. I have not…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 08:06 PM
jjmotifman
Total Posts:  15
Joined  03-23-2009

I have an iMac which only has one Firewire port on it.  Your aggregate device idea sounds great though but may not be able to do it since I only have one Firewire port unless there is another way somehow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Typically, what you are going to run into will either be digital noise introduced by the hub or power adapter to the hub. I wasn’t aware that Imac’s only featured one Firewire port but, I can’t think of any other work around…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2009 @ 08:59 PM
Cutdawgent
Total Posts:  61
Joined  06-24-2009

Aluminum iMacs have two FireWire ports, one 400, and one 800, I’m not sure about the white ones though

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How To Access XS Editor
Next Topic:

Slowing Tempo in Logic ››