mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Original, Logic/Ableton, and a Macbook"

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 03:23 PM
zarathaz
Total Posts:  39
Joined  08-21-2006

I see a lot of posts concerning Motif XS/Logic - but does anyone know what can be done with a motif original and logic? (or any DAW and a motif original). 

I’m basically looking to take songs I’ve already written in the Motif, and transport individual tracks to a DAW, being able to keep the motif voices and add effects / edit notes easier etc.

Any help is very appreciated.

(PS: I tried researching this and found Studiomanager/Motif voice editor, but I’m a big newbie when it comes to these programs and I’m unsure if they’re what I need or how to use them)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 10:26 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I see a lot of posts concerning Motif XS/Logic - but does anyone know what can be done with a motif original and logic?

The question is kind of general. Just about anything can be done given enough money, etc… Does the Classic have MLAN? If not, you are going to need an Audio Interface in order to record Audio into Logic…

(PS: I tried researching this and found Studiomanager/Motif voice editor, but I’m a big newbie when it comes to these programs and I’m unsure if they’re what I need or how to use them)

The editor is just that: a way to easily edit the motif’s voices and to utilize a computer to quickly adjust the settings (voices, pan, effects, etc...) in a Multi / MIX on the Classic…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2009 @ 05:04 PM
zarathaz
Total Posts:  39
Joined  08-21-2006

I read through the post next to this one, and it seems like the OP might be trying to accomplish something similar to me

“I think right now my problem is that I am only using the Duet to record audio into Logic and I want to do MIDI as well. If I understand correctly, MIDI can be manipulated once it is in Logic but you would need to find the closest instrument that matches the Motif instruments I have on my tracks.

No, this is not correct. You can record MIDI into Logic and trigger the XS’ tone generator via External Instruments within Logic. (The XS would act as your monitor in this situation). You can record MIDI into Logic and play it through Logic’s Software Instruments on a Software Instrument Track. You can record MIDI to an External Instrument Track set to Mlan’s Port #3 and have it trigger the tone generator of any synth, module, etc… physically connected to the XS’ MIDI Out. And you can also record the Audio output of the XS’ instruments into a Logic Audio Track…”

Basically, I’ve set up an external instruments track in Logic, and it’s recognized my Motif 7 (the track is automatically named “YAMAHA MOTIF 7” and when I press record I can see data being recorded.  I can edit the data, and I also see the volume jumping as it goes past the data when I press play.  But, I hear no sound coming out of my headphones.  I want that data to be a voice that is in my motif, and this is where I’m stuck.

Thank you for your informative replies

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 16, 2009 @ 06:07 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Hmmm, reply didn’t go through… OK, let’s try this again…

Without knowing how you’ve setup your MLAN, etc… I’ll go with simplicity for the moment. When a Motif is connected to Logic via MLAN, the Motif acts as your audio interface and the Audio from Logic is outputted at the L/R Output & headphone jacks of the Motif.

[ Ignore ]