mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Questions regarding mLAN functionality"

Posted on: May 13, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
dILL
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-16-2008

The process of converting/recording MIDI to Audio-tracks is a very heavy and time consuming process compared to VST instruments were MIDI and Audio is linked. Im strongly considering buying mLAN, and hope this may solve this issue.

I need some questions answered before I take the next step:

- With the use mLAN. Will I be able to record my tracks in the same way as VST instruments (with no 2nd recording to Audio)?

- Is it possible to tweak the sounds with XsEditor in Cubase and record the tweaked sound into Logic?

Thanks for your time!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2009 @ 10:16 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

The process of converting/recording MIDI to Audio-tracks is a very heavy and time

MIDI is MIDI and Audio is Audio. You cannot ‘convert’ MIDI to audio anymore than you can convert sound to video. You record MIDI and the MIDI triggers audio (Tone Generator) and in a VST, it does it internally within the DAW and even within the same track.

The advantage of having a Sampler/VST Instrument directly connected to a MIDI track is that it allows you to bounce the track. That is, have the computer calculate the audio result of the MIDI triggering the Instrument + effects and combine them into an audio file.

Via MLAN with one obscure exception, you are always going to have to record the Audio into Logic. That obscure exception still involves a real-time bounce, (which is essentially the same as the recording process) and, it also confines you to a single instrument as opposed to multi-tracking. So, that said-

- With the use mLAN. Will I be able to record my tracks in the same way as VST instruments (with no 2nd recording to Audio)?

No… The XS will act as your Audio Card and you will be able to hear the XS instruments via headphones or whatever amp, etc… the XS is connected to. But, Recording Audio is still a separate process...

- Is it possible to tweak the sounds with XsEditor in Cubase and record the tweaked sound into Logic?

I would suggest that if Logic is to be your main DAW that you load the ‘regular’ version of the editor will does not operate within Cubase. It operates simultaneously with Logic but not within Logic and assists not only with editing voices but also assigning the MLAN outputs themselves…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2009 @ 10:35 PM
dILL
Joined  07-16-2008

Thank you for such a quick response with good answers. Deeply appreciated!

I still have some questions if you dont mind:

- Do I need mLAN in order to “bus” my tracks to the built-in effects?

- When using the built-in effects on my tracks, how do I make sure they are correctly bounced together with the tracks?

- Are mLAN required to generally use the XSEditor?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2009 @ 11:06 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

- Do I need mLAN in order to “bus” my tracks to the built-in effects?

I don’t know that I’m quite following you on this. What built-in effects are you referring to? And, describe a little more in detail what you are trying to do…

- When using the built-in effects on my tracks, how do I make sure they are correctly bounced together with the tracks?

Again, which built-in effects are you referring to? And again, you record audio from MLAN into Logic. You can record it with either the XS effects or Logic’s effects. Once the audio is recorded into Logic, those audio tracks can be ‘bounced’ to a mix, CD, mp3, mp4, ITUNES, etc…

- Are mLAN required to generally use the XSEditor?

The Editor works via MLAN or USB…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 08:47 AM
dILL
Joined  07-16-2008

There are some misunderstandings here.

I want to use the effect modules inside the motif as en external effect module. Using them to mix my tracks. Recording tracks with the built-in effects locks the effect to the track, something you do not want in a mixing situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 12:13 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I want to use the effect modules inside the motif as en external effect module.

Well, the XS forum might be a better place to address this particular question in terms of how to do it, if it’s at all possible to do it and, the bigger question of why you would want to do it. Particularly, when Logic would afford so much more flexibility in both number and type of effects per track, per group or submix, and the entire mix- as well as the mastering process. I would suggest that the effects are, at a minimum, on par with the XS’ effects… And depending on how many tracks you are dealing with-

The XS still has but 8 insert effects for the tracks and two for the Master effects. Which then begs the question of how you would record the XS instruments without the insert effects (since you are opposed to recording with the effects) and somehow add them (the effects) later???? I would think your only option would be to do all mixing in the XS itself and record to a stereo track, but perhaps someone else has somehow divined how this would be possible…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 01:20 PM
dILL
Joined  07-16-2008

Thank you for your help

[ Ignore ]