mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting levels equal between voices"

Posted on: May 05, 2009 @ 07:10 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Total Posts:  302
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi - I’m going through what everybody I’m sure has gone through before…

I’m on stage playing, change to a different performance (or voice within a performance) and then BLAM, it’s a zillion times louder than the previous program or voice, and it sounds horrible in the context of the stage show.

For example, I’ve got a piano voice going during the verse, with the strings muted on the 2nd voice. Then for the chorus I unmute the strings. They are both at 127, but the strings are sooo loud :-(

Question to this esteemed forum is please: Is 127 on one voice = 127 on all voices? Or do I just have a lot of listening to do during practice and programming to make sure that everything is about the same volume?

Edit: I forgot to say that I am also using a Yamaha FC- foot pedal, and I guess the problem could be there as well?

Thanks much -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2009 @ 12:40 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

In a performance, you need to pre-programme your sound volumes so that when you un-mute a voice it comes on at a reasonable volume. You can edit this fairly easily. You can also change it on the fly using the faders if the volume is too high or too low.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2009 @ 02:59 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002
Wellie - 09 May 2009 12:40 PM

In a performance, you need to pre-programme your sound volumes so that when you un-mute a voice it comes on at a reasonable volume. You can edit this fairly easily. You can also change it on the fly using the faders if the volume is too high or too low.

Cheers

Thanks, Wellie!

The main problem I have takes place during changes from one Performance to another, or a Performance to a Voice. For example, I have a 4-voice Performance, I leave the Performance during a song to play a 5th “Voice” (usually just a piano voice), then go back to the Performance. When I go back to the original “Performance” from the piano Voice, the Motif seems to reset so that all 4 Voices in the Performance come in at 100% levels, rather than the attenuated level the FC- foot pedal had it at before leaving the Performance to go to the Voice.

When that happens, I know I can lower the performance volume by quickly setting my Yamaha FC- foot pedal to zero, and then returning it to some estimate of the position it was at originally. Another solution as you suggest is possibly using the faders (but will adjusting the 4 faders undesirably affect the overall volume balance among the 4 voices?). In any case, it’s those first few very loud notes that are aggravating, and taking the time to make the adjustment back to the original volume accurately in the heat of a live gig is quite distracting and challenging for me.

Is there a way to at least have all the volumes stay steady within one stage song? Is that what song mode is for - can I go from one performance to another within a song, and then back, and the volumes remain steady?

Thanks, Wellie for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2009 @ 05:27 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Hmm,

I think you may want to explore Master mode - however, I have not used it and could not pretend to know much about it, except to say that it was designed to be the system to deal with the scenario you are in - worth a look I woudl say :)

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 01:17 AM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002
Wellie - 11 May 2009 05:27 PM

Hmm,

I think you may want to explore Master mode - however, I have not used it and could not pretend to know much about it, except to say that it was designed to be the system to deal with the scenario you are in - worth a look I woudl say :)

Cheers

THanks, Wellie. I’ll take a look at that again in the manual, though I never seem to be able to get past those pictures that show other instruments coming into the Motif.

I’ll probably also post on the “Motif On Stage” forum as well.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2009 @ 11:17 PM
afterhours
Total Posts:  19
Joined  05-22-2009

I have the same problem when I change Performance settings in the middle of a song - the volume goes to 100%.  I have learned to get off of that by ‘wiggling’ the FC7 volume control pedal.  I don’t have to take it all the way to zero - just wiggle it a little and then back to its original position.  I bought a second FC7 pedal because I was sure the first one was defective, but when it did the same thing I figures it would be something I had to live with.  Learn to ‘wiggle’ the foot pedal quickly.  I wonder if you can unplug the foot pedal for those songs whether it would fix the problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2009 @ 10:54 PM
afterhours
Total Posts:  19
Joined  05-22-2009

Eureka!  I posted this same question on the Sninety.com forum and Bad_Mister answered it!  I no longer have the ‘sudden loud’ volume problem when I change sounds.

Go to “Utility”, “General”, “Other” and on the right side is a setting called CntrlReset.  The default factory setting is “Reset” which means your volume pedal (and all foot controllers?) are “Reset” every time you change settings.  Change it to “Hold” and the volume pedal level into the keyboard will stay put when you change settings, even if in the middle of a song.

Kudos to Bad_Mister for this easy fix.  I never knew that programming option existed.  I had fought this ‘sudden loud’ volume problem for over 5 years.

[ Ignore ]