mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Logic wont bounce midi region to audio"

Posted on: May 05, 2009 @ 05:50 PM
axxe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-20-2009

I recorded a region in logic with a piano patch from the motif and when i bounce that region to audio theres no sound. The audio file has no audio signal, its empty. I would really appreciate some advice on what im doing wrong....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2009 @ 07:19 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Bounce is a greatly misused word. But take note: in recording from the XS into Logic via MLAN, two things are possible: 1) Recording MIDI onto either a Software Instrument or External Instrument Track or, 2) Recording Audio from the XS onto an Audio Track. These two can be done simultaneously but, they are discrete processes (totally separate from one another).

And, since you mentioned:

region in logic with a piano patch from the motif

I’m going to assume we are talking about External Instrument Tracks…

So you record (not bounce) Audio from the XS onto an Audio Track. MIDI regions Are Never bounced to audio. When bouncing a Software Instrument Track, what is actually happening is that the audio of that Software Instrument (triggered by the MIDI) is bounced to an audio file.

That said, there is, in Logic, an External Instrument. It is different from an External Instrument Track because it utilizes an external synth, keyboard, etc… to mimic a Software Instrument with the following exception: all bounces are real time: which is the equivalent of recording an Audio Track in the first place… But, for now, for clarity sake, create Audio Tracks for each of the Motif Instruments you want to record. On the XS or Sound Manager / Editor route those tracks to an MLAN output pair or mono. Within Logic, set the Input Bus of the Audio Tracks to conform to your MLAN settings remembering that L,R= tracks 1-2; and, m1-m2= 3,4 and so on…

Set your levels and record: vada bing vada boom…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2009 @ 10:14 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

i dont have mlan, only the keyboard connected to my m-audio mobile pre audio interface

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2009 @ 01:07 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Then, within Logic, set the Input Bus of the Audio Tracks to address the Mobile Pre…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2009 @ 06:17 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

sorry but im kind of lost. I make an external midi track and record on that, then what do i do next? The input of my audio tracks can either be input 1 or input 2, but these are mic pres. I tried to record on a audio track once to see what happened and there were no sound in the audio region after the recording, so i guess ive done something wrong

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I make an external midi track and record on that, then what do i do next? The input of my audio tracks can either be input 1 or input 2, but these are mic pres.

This is from your manual- Page 18

Channel 1 Inst/Line Input Jack: This 1/4” balanced connector accepts an instrument or line level signal for Channel 1 of the MobilePre USB. This input is ideal for recording guitar, bass or synthesizer. If you are recording a stereo line-level source, plug the left channel into Line Input 1 (on the front panel of the MobilePre USB) and the right channel into Line Input 2 (on the rear panel).

On the audio track you must select the input in the I/O section of the Inspector: see below…

Image Attachments
Picture 5.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2009 @ 01:28 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

wow i feel ignorant when u refer to ``my own manual``. But actually its not my preamp and i dont have the manual, though of course i should have looked it up on the web. But i thought i had connected it right...Ima check it out once i get to my studio tomorrow

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2009 @ 02:12 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

wow i feel ignorant when u refer to ``my own manual

That wasn’t my purpose. It should be pretty straightforward for you…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2009 @ 04:42 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

ok so the only way i can turn my external midi tracks to audio after im finished with the midi editing is to record the external midi regions to audio in realtime? And after they are exported then i bounce the project as a whole right?… Cus yeah as you told me i cant bounce external midi files, they have to be converted to audio sooner or later if you want to hear the external instruments in your bounce version. Have i got it right now..?

Thanks a bunch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2009 @ 07:06 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, ok- again that word ‘bounce… :)
The quick answer is yes… and I’ll force myself to leave it at that…

You route the XS instruments that the External Instrument Tracks are triggering to Audio Tracks and record them. Then you can bounce them along with whatever other Audio & Software instrument tracks are in your project…

[ Ignore ]