mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help setting up an MO8 with Logic Express 8"

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 01:39 PM
salzburg
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-10-2008

Hey guys!!

This would be probably a kinda newbie question, but I’ve been having a hard time setting up my MO8 as an external MIDI device through Logic Express 8. When I thought I had it, it turned out to be that I had no sound coming out from Logic. I want to use the MO’s sounds, however I haven’t been able to figure that out yet. I keep trying to change the Audio-MIDI settings, but there still no sound coming out from the software. Am I doing something wrong? Would you recommend me to read a specific tutorial to perform this?

Thanx in advance

Salz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 05:30 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

When asking a question, it would be good to list what equipment you are using and how you are connecting to the MAC. What Audio Interface are you using? IOW, how is audio getting into the MAC? Secondly, External Instruments Tracks record, play and transmit MIDI only between the MO8 and Logic. You would either monitor the audio through the MO8 itself or setup Audio Tracks within Logic and set the track(s) input bus to the Audio Interface…

EDITED 5/3/09 AT 7:46PM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 07:53 PM
salzburg
Joined  07-10-2008

Ok
I have an Apogee Duet audio interface. However, I’m playing the Yamaha MO8 using the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. My main concern is that I’m able to use the Logic sample library using my yamaha MO8 via MIDI connection. Still, If I want to use the Yamaha MO8 sound library, i.e. the keyboard’s internal sounds, I am aware that one of my options is to connect the keyboard itself from the analog audio outputs to the Apogee Duet, recording a performance as an AUDIO track, not MIDI. But, how can I play/record the MO8’s sounds via MIDI????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 09:21 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

My main concern is that I’m able to use the Logic sample library using my yamaha MO8 via MIDI connection.

You do that through software instruments not external instruments…

But, how can I play/record the MO8’s sounds via MIDI????

OK, Terminology is a very important thing! Among other things it helps you to think through exactly what you want to do and how to do it and assists in problem solving / troubleshooting…

Bear with me…

In reality, MIDI can never be recorded as audio. The MIDI triggers a Tone Generator and the sound can be recorded as audio. For instance, in a piano performance, the MIDI represents what the pianists fingers are doing- air piano, as it were. When the fingers actually hit the keys, sound is produced…

Likewise, the MO8’s sounds cannot be recorded as MIDI. Sound is recorded as audio, period. The MO8’s Tone Generator is triggered by MIDI but does not produce MIDI.  MIDI and AUDIO are independent of one another… and External Instrument Tracks and Audio Tracks within Logic are also independent. Software Instrument Tracks are different in this way: while they can and do record MIDI information, they also output audio to the mixer that can either be routed to an audio track and recorded, or bounced directly to CD, etc…

In other words, the MIDI in the track also triggers the Software Instruments “Tone Generator”

Have you properly installed your Yamaha USB MIDI driver and do you understanding how to set up the MIDI ports from within the MO8?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 09:46 PM
salzburg
Joined  07-10-2008

Thank you!!!.....I’m really confused with this as you can see, hehehehehe. As for the MIDI issue, I had no problem with playing software instruments in a MIDI track. On the other hand, my Yamaha USB-MIDI driver is OK (at least that’s what I being thinking; I was able to import the User Voices to my Mac using the Studio Manager Application).
I totally understand what you are saying, however, I thought that If a created a MIDI track and assigned this track to an external MIDI instrument, I would be able to play/record the MO8 sounds as MIDI (That’s why I connected my MO8 via USB-MIDI, to play/record MIDI, no matter If I was using the Logic sample library or the MO8 voice bank).
If I wanted to play/record the MO8 sounds in an AUDIO track, I would totally rule out the USB-MIDI (as this is just a MIDI connection, not AUDIO) and plug an instrument cable from my MO8 to my Duet. However, this is not the case. I’m trying to play/record the MO8 sounds in a MIDI track. Is that possible?? Or do I have to plug a cable and play/record them as AUDIO in an AUDIO track?
Sorry If I tend to be annoying, It’s just that I’m new to all this.
As for the Ports, I don’t know where to set them up. But I took for granted they’re all right, as I could link my MO8 with my iMac using Studio Manager.

Thanx again

Salz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 10:27 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Alrighty then, :)
Let me try this again:

MIDI Cannot Be Recorded As Audio!!!

Audio Cannot Be Recorded As MIDI

MO8 sounds= Audio= Audio Interface= Record to Audio Track

MIDI= record to External Instrument Track or Software Instrument Track In Logic
(The External Instrument Track triggers the MO8’s Tone Generator)

Software Instrument Track in Logic is basically a MIDI Track connected to a Synth, Sampler, etc...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 10:44 PM
salzburg
Joined  07-10-2008

MIDI= record to External Instrument Track or Software Instrument Track In Logic
(The External Instrument Track triggers the MO8’s Tone Generator)

How do I do that??? Triggering MO8’s tone generator. That’s why I been asking!!! Sorry If I wasn’t clear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 11:43 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Without knowing what you done in terms of setup, I’m going to start from scratch and suggest setting up the MO8 in the following way. if you follow it from scratch, it will work…

1) If you have not loaded Yamaha’s latest USB / MIDI Driver, do so… It can be found here: http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/mo/driver/

2) Logic Express 8 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the MO8 is connected. Also, it may not appear initially until the MO8 is connected via USB and set to operate via USB for the first time… Like this, [UTILITY] âžž [F5] MIDI âžž [SF4] OTHER âžž MIDI IN/OUT = USB you must be set to transmit via USB anytime you are interfacing with Logic… so, do that within the MO8… Also on Page 208 of the MO8 manual, it tells you how to use the ‘Quick Setup’ Function to setup the MO8 to record it’s internal Sequencer into Logic (Option #2); record into Logic without the MO8’s Sequencer (Option #3); or, record ARPS into Logic (Option #4)

3) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS. (So from the Desktop, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab. Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘MO8’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close)…

4) Move it (the MO8 Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). (There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports. Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the MO8 Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’)…

5) Open Logic Express 8 and create an external instrument track; the MO8 should appear in the Media / Library as an option… (more than one MO8 port will be shown; select the one that has the exact name as the device in you setup in AMS. The 1-16 correspond to your MO8 Midi channels)…

6) To record more than one midi channel at a time, you must do the following: From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings}; Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel… When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the MO8 Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

When each track is record enabled, the MIDI should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops…

NOTE: The MIDI recording into Logic will be echoed back out to the MO8, the MO8 must be connected to either your amp, audio interface etc… in order to hear it.

[ Ignore ]