mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording controller data to Midi for external instruments"

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 09:03 AM
jalava
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-03-2009

Is there any way to use any knobs and sliders freely as controllers in DAW?

For example when I am in song or pattern mode I can use cutoff/resonance but if I stop for a second, cutoff is reseted on XS instrument and midi data is no longer sent to DAW.

Is it possible to use sliders and knobs freely assignable in Remote mode or how do you use XS as controller for VSTi instruments / external instruments?

Concrete example: (Cubase 5)

1. New project
2. Add Lennar Digital Sylenth1 VSTi (or any vsti with midi learn) + Midi track
3. Put XS into either Voice mode (allows browsing first 127 presets from synth) or pattern/song mode (allows using 16 xs tracks also)
4. turn cutoff knob. The knob turns correctly on VSTi until xs decides to reset cutoff value back into original on pause and they you have to go back there. This happens because local control is off -> cutoff is not sent to XS -> value gets reseted after a while automatically.

Any ideas for help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 11:29 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there any way to use any knobs and sliders freely as controllers in DAW?

To use the Motif XS as a controller for your DAW you have an entire MODE. You cannot use it in normal mode because, normal mode is designed to control the Motif XS itself.

If you want to control your DAW software here is what you must do:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Select the DAW software you want to control. (Default is the Cubase… although you can select Logic, Sonar, or Digital Performer).

Now when you press the dedicated [REMOTE ON/OFF] button and turn it ON, your knobs and sliders will conform to control the DAW you have selected.

In REMOTE mode the parameters and functions including VSTi parameters, metering, track arming, muting/soloing, etc., etc., etc. become available)

There are, for example, 8 pages of functions available for Cubase Remote Control (including some that are customizable)
Use the [SELECTED PART CONTROL] and [MULTI PART CONTROL] buttons to move through the Page screens or press [SF5] PAGE LIST to see an overview).

Additionally the front panel Program, Track, Group, etc. buttons (right side of the front panel) will allow you to interface with your DAW as well. It varies depending on the DAW in question.

The [SF6] INFO button can be used (in case you forget) what a particular button is currently asigned to do. Press INFO again to return to the Remote Template.

Is it possible to use sliders and knobs freely assignable in Remote mode or how do you use XS as controller for VSTi instruments / external instruments?

When you call up a VSTi (which you can do right from the Motif XS screen) the parameters available for that VSTi will appear in the screen and you can control them with the available knobs. It is all quite easy to get around. And a no-brainer because the parameters appear in the screen.

Concrete example: (Cubase 5)

1. New project
2. Add Lennar Digital Sylenth1 VSTi (or any vsti with midi learn) + Midi track
3. Put XS into either Voice mode (allows browsing first 127 presets from synth) or pattern/song mode (allows using 16 xs tracks also)
4. turn cutoff knob. The knob turns correctly on VSTi until xs decides to reset cutoff value back into original on pause and they you have to go back there. This happens because local control is off -> cutoff is not sent to XS -> value gets reseted after a while automatically.

To open a NEW PROJECT, Typically opening and activating a Project is done on your computer (not from your remote control device) - I’m not sure that this is possible but if you are on a VST CONNECTION screen for example and want to return to the main Project window, there is a shortcut button provided among the REMOTE commands… simply press [PROJECT]…

There are many, many, many functions you can customize yourself, if that is important to you. Take a look inside of Cubase 5. You can assign any of the [F] Function buttons to virtually anything - too many to mention. Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > we assume you have setup Motif XS as your REMOTE device, you can customize what gets called up here - it is one of the most complete remote control implementation…

To add any VSTi you have installed on your computer, you would place the Motif XS in REMOTE mode = ON
Select the PAGE that allows “INST” (Instrument)
You can select the VSTi Slot for example with KNOB 1 and flip through those VSTi you installed on your computer with KNOB 3.

When you select a VSTi (remain on it for more tha 5 seconds) Cubase will ask if you want to create a MIDI track assigned to that VSTi, etc. Once setup the parameters of that VSTi will appear in your Motif XS screen - you will be able to select pages within that VSTi. For example, if it reads 01/09 you are looking at page 1 of 9 pages of parameters.

You can customtize the Motif XS “F” and “SF” buttons to do most things if your QWERTY is not available for quick key functions.

You don’t use the Motif XS assignments (those written on the knobs) but you use those assigned by the maker of the VSTi and written in the screen.

You should download and make reference to the Data List #2 booklet for the Motif XS (see page 53):

Remote Control Assignments

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2009 @ 02:35 PM
jalava
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-03-2009

Now that I spent some more on the remote mode I can see how I can access the VSTi variables from there.

However, because I also use external intstruments and also because I couldn’t find a way to reorder the parameters (31 pages of variables with only first 7 characters showing, it’s quite a task navigating between 16 different FilterA/B/C knobs, in different pages etc), I’d like to send plain old customizable CC messages from motif xs in remote mode or someway other. Any ideas?

I was thinking there could be a VSTi controller that allows generating midi cc messages so I could arrange all the controllers in same page I need, haven’t yet found one though.

[ Ignore ]