mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arps not working on Rack ES…"

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 02:51 PM
dklopfenstein
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-14-2009

I have a CP300 being used as a controller and have really enjoyed it.  Recently, I bought a used rack es and like many of the sounds that it has as well.  My problem is getting the arps to work.  I have been told that I have to set up a song before they can be used...because the CP clock is used by the rack.  I play in a band and want to be able to use some of the arps in a live setting, which I don’t want to set up a song in the CP’s sequencer for.  Is this possible to do?  I am hoping it is.  Whenever I try to use the arps, nothing comes from the rack at all.  If you have any ideas on what I can do, let me know.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 03:57 PM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

What mode are you in?  I haven’t used the song mode, but either in voice or performance mode, i make sure the “Arpeggio” button is turned on. 

Have you checked it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 04:44 PM
dklopfenstein
Joined  04-14-2009

I have tried voice and performance mode...nothing.  I have held the shift button and pressed the arps button, scrolled down to “switch” and turned it on...still nothing.  In performance mode, there is an outputswitch as well and still nothing if I turn it on.  Yamaha support says I have to use a preprogrammed “song” so that the rack knows what tempo to follow...I just can’t hardly believe that this is true.  Live performances just wouldn’t be conducive for this.  Any other suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2009 @ 09:57 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

It is true to a point.  The RACK has to know what the tempo of the “Music” is so that the arpeggios are playing at the same tempo.  It wouldn’t be very cool if you’re playing a piano ballad at q=60 while the RACK is playing its arpeggios at q=132…

In VOICE mode, if you push the AUDITION key sequence, do you get output?  If not, then lack of tempo reference is very likely the cause of both problems.

Make sure you’ve got MIDI SYNC set correctly in the UTILITY screens:

MidiSync:
Internal -> The RACK will use the tempo reference specified in the Arpeggio / Audition phrase definition.

MIDI -> The RACK expects an outboard device (controller / sequencer / tempo pedal / whatever) to be sending SYNC data to set the tempo, and will play the auditions and arpeggios at whatever tempo is received.

Arpeggios and Auditions both require a tempo reference.

If you’re using a SEQUENCER, you probably want MidiSync set to MIDI.  Then, define the tempo in your project, and make sure it sends CLOCK or SYNC data even if the project isn’t “Playing.” Different sequencers accomplish this differently.  I use SONAR and can point you to a detailed post on how to set this up if needed.

If you’re NOT using a sequencer, ie, you’re just playing a single voice, you probably want to set MidiSync INTERNAL unless your controller can send tempo data…

In a “Live” setting, you can use a stomp-box like pedal to set the tempo. Either that, or you’ll have to guarantee that the band stays in time with whatever tempo reference you use (either the CP300 or the RACK’s internal clock..)

Let me know if this gets you going.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2009 @ 10:00 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Oh, by the way, the Arpeggio OUTPUT SWITCH just tells the RACK to send the Arpeggiator’s MIDI data OUT the MIDI port.

The only thing you need to do to turn the Arpeggiator “ON” is to push the ARP button.  The light will come on.

(Well, that’s being a bit simplistic… You also have to program the arpeggiator if it’s not already done with the patterns you want...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2009 @ 10:48 AM
dklopfenstein
Joined  04-14-2009

Thanks for your help...I will try this tonight after kids are in bed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Studio Connections
Next Topic:

Performance from ES7 to EsRack ››