mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Is 61 keys enough?"

Posted on: April 25, 2009 @ 07:28 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

I play a MO8 and have just started to jam with others at a rehearsal studio. My style is to play arps w/left hand and chords/melody w/right. Schlepping the MO8, even though it’s fairly light is still a pain, partially due to weight (probably 70 lbs in the case w/pedals, power supply, etc), and also due to length (I have the Yamaha bag w/wheels and should strap, which works great for smooth floors but steps and sidewalks not so much). Not to mention getting it in and out of the car. So, I’m wondering about using a 61 key board when playing out. Want to hear from people if it’s adequate. I know it depends somewhat on style of music, and especially what the bass player is doing, but I’d like to hear any general comments/ideas people have to offer. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2009 @ 08:50 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004

If your using lots of splits you will miss those extra keys and I’m not sure if MO8 keys are weighted or not, but if they are you will surely miss that too.

All my synths I use are 61 keys that’s all I’ve used since I got into synths only 88 I have is a piano ;)

P.S.

IMHO

Get you a real case for that investment.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GAT-GTOURKEY-LIST

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Well, there’s only about 10 pounds between the two. I suggest putting a cookie sheet or a piece of wood (or something) over the keys you’ll be missing. You’ll know for yourself pretty quick.

And welcome to the world of your schlepping gear around. :)

Bob

p.s. I like 88, but 73 or 76 is just about perfect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2009 @ 08:48 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

Bob’s suggestion about covering the keys as a test is a good one. I bought a MO6 because I was tired of schlepping my Motif 8 “Classic” around--not just the weight but the length made transport difficult. I find I miss the weighted keybed and would really like to have one more octave. I’ll haul the 88 keys around if I really need them but otherwise I can make do with 61. A 73 or 76 key version would have been nice but you pay a lot for those extra keys in proportion to what you actually get. Can 12 plastic unweighted keys, keyswitches, and a little extra case material really add $300 or more to the cost? There’s no change to the synth engine or other electronics in the board.

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

The test idea is good.

Personally, I can’t stand playing without weighted keys. But I’ve prob never given it a fair chance, and that’s just my personal preference.

kevinb - 27 April 2009 08:48 AM

Can 12 plastic unweighted keys, keyswitches, and a little extra case material really add $300 or more to the cost? There’s no change to the synth engine or other electronics in the board.

Don’t forget that the cost of parts/materials is not the only factor. Making different parts (at least the case if not more) for a different size would require the design and cost for separate manufacturing tools. Plus you now have another product for which you have to manage inventory and promote/market.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2009 @ 09:20 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

Sure, I’ll agree with you on the greater inventory cost, but don’t think the difference in manufacturing costs is that great. The major design costs are in the circuitry, which is the same in most board series. For example the suggested retail on Motif XS series:

XS6 $2800
XS7 $3500
XS8 $4000

Street prices may vary but that’s a $700 difference between the 6 and 7, and only $500 between the 7 and 8. The 8 has a weighted keyboard and some other features, which certainly cost more to make. Most of the case parts are the same (ends, knobs, sliders)except the bottom and metal top--which are drilled to accept the same circuit boards and jack panels. Whatever the reason for the difference in price of a 73/76 key board, it doesn’t make economic sense (to me at least).

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2009 @ 07:47 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

Thanks for sharing thoughts about this. Weighted keys is important to me too, I find it too easy to accidentally hit adjacent keys with non-weighted (wish I had better chops, even though I practice 90 min most days..fingers are just sloppy).

So ideal keybed might be a 73 key, weighted, with pitch bend & control wheel above keys (not at end). And about 20 lbs. Does it exist? Nord Electro2 w/weighted keys???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2009 @ 10:07 AM
HappyHarryNET
Total Posts:  488
Joined  12-10-2006

Personally I just grew out of 61-keys. I love my XS6 but I am trying to sell it so I can purchase an XS8.

I too tend to be a tad sloppy on SFX keyboard versus balanced hammer which provides much more tactile feedback when playing.

But on the 61 i find myself constantly running out of keys. My hands and fingers literally running OFF the board!

I’m selling my XS6 with soft case, half-damper pedal, 1GB RAM installed, mLAN installed, 3 different video training courses and a keyboard stand $1700 firm.

BestBuy will sell me XS8 for $3000

;;cheers;;

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2009 @ 02:54 PM
Floydtom
Total Posts:  28
Joined  07-20-2009

I don’t know how you play, but I cannot use 61 without running out of keys.....76 is perfect.. for me. I think very few people use the highest octave of an 88 key.

Tom Floyd

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2009 @ 09:42 AM
HappyHarryNET
Total Posts:  488
Joined  12-10-2006
Floydtom - 03 August 2009 02:54 PM

I don’t know how you play, but I cannot use 61 without running out of keys.....76 is perfect.. for me. I think very few people use the highest octave of an 88 key.

Tom Floyd

hi Tom,

perhaps i should have provided further details to my outgrowing 61-keys.

yes 76 keys could be acceptable, however, for the sake of all of the MOTIF_XS functions i would prefer having the entire 88-keys so there is no need to use [OCTAVE +/-] for splits, layers and extras that get placed on the bottom octave and top octave.

also, i definitely should have mentioned

I MUST HAVE BALANCED HAMMER

although, the FXS keyboard is great for synths, organs and pads, i am a heavy handed player and find myself having a much deeper sense of control over my style when playing on balanced hammer vs. FSX. on the FSX, playing same music using same [VOICE] i generally make LESS mistakes due to what i call key-slip.

but i too have been playing 61-key synths for years and for me, this truly is a situation of outgrowing both the 61-keys and non-balanced-hammer.

this is why i have wished for Yamaha Balanced-Hammer-Tyros_4 !!

still, i am grateful to have my XS. its a wonderful instrument and for me, it provides and manages all of the sounds that i needed with my songwriting, recording and performing.

HHNET

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2009 @ 09:56 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

61 keys is enough, especially for beginner. As a matter of fact 12 keys would be enough either. Anyway few more keys you can always orders separately later if needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
Cindy Jon
Total Posts:  16
Joined  10-14-2009

I prefer 88 keys. I can usually get by with 76. Anything less would bring gloom, dispair and agony on me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2009 @ 12:57 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

I prefer 88 keys. I find 76 to be ok, and 61 to be a bit of a limitation but I can get by with any of the above.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2009 @ 04:12 AM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004

Hmmmmm....61 keys for beginners? Don’t think soooo...BUT!

(61 X 3) + 45 ?  Yeah!!! The way to go!!!!....lolz

Image Attachments
61 x 3 + 45A.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2010 @ 08:59 PM
yahhamm
Total Posts:  114
Joined  01-22-2010

Let’s talk about the type of music that you are playing.  I have a motif 6 and another board that has 76 keys.  I find that when playing good old rock and roll, I was having to hit the “octave up” button to give me the Jerry Lee Lewis high range sounds.  It was doable but adding the 76 key board mad it easier to play the rock and roll.  Motif still has the best piano sound though!

YH

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Getting Ready to Go LIVE... HELP!!!
Next Topic:

just ordered an SL990XP ››