mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "For fans of Jordan Rudess…. you’ll LOVE this"

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 11:44 PM
spalding12
Total Posts:  42
Joined  03-11-2009

not Yamaha Motif-related
but.... fans of music HAVE to love Jordan Rudess
take a look at THIS link and video.... it’s really something else

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/03/jordan-rudess-meets-wivi-band.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 12:09 AM
MoGut
Total Posts:  1535
Joined  05-08-2004

Thats WAYYYY cool… thanks for the link. Iphone people will dig it.

ps. the old farts around here will trash talk it im sure. Call it usesless, and so on....

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/442407/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 12:52 AM
spalding12
Joined  03-11-2009

glad you liked it
and.... i surely hope that even the “old farts” will get a kick out of:
1.  this technology
2.  jordan rudess embracing it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 03:04 AM
BajaCapt
Total Posts:  326
Joined  03-25-2008

Wow, that is something I never expected when I click to see a Rudess video clip. When I first saw it I commented to my wife “Look like he is playing an iPhone” but in a joking way, I figured it was some new instrument, but then we both got a kick of it when we found out it is indeed Jordan Rudess playing an iphone, lol!
There is nothing but respect and admiration from me to talent such as Jordan Rudess, also, I am into new tech, so this stuff is a welcome thing for me to see…
Dont know about the “old farts” but at 47, I feel great and receptive to all the new stuff, specially as music is concern.
Thanks for the link! ;)
On a quick note, I dont own an iPhone but my only concern with the design of this app for music playing in the phone would be to accidentally blow saliva into the microphone, I mean, wind instrument players know the constant cleaning required to their instruments, not sure that I would want my expensive phone sent to repairs with a drowned mic… but like I said, I dont have an iPhone, perhaps the design of it allows for this use of it without concern for the potential saliva trouble…

Jose.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 09:09 AM
spalding12
Joined  03-11-2009

i’m glad that the two of you liked it, Jose
and i can appreciate your thoughts about the microphone
i don’t have an iPhone, either
but, the program CAN work on my iPod touch.... with the add-on micrphone
have you see OCARINA?

http://ocarina.smule.com/

the first, and more famous “instrument” for the iPhone
cool technology.....
thanks for taking the time to look and comment
i appreciate that

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 09:41 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

Useless and stupid! But enough about Mogut…

It is cool what’s going on with modeling of instrument behaviour at Wallender instruments. Having their virtual intruments play on an iPod is a good demonstration of the small footprint and resources required for their products. Not sure the form factor would be real practical.. kind of like trying to use a 25 key controller.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 10:40 AM
bdaugie
Total Posts:  150
Joined  01-14-2003

This is the first time I’ve wanted an iPhone!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 03:14 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

As opposed to the link initially provided by Mogut (the useless TED), virtual modeling is indeed a very interesting and compelling technology. Yamaha has the VL70M and the VL expansion card for the older Motif family, but stopped development about 8-10 years ago (or so?) for some reason, probably commercial viability. I think the device Jordan demonstrated sounds better than where Yamaha left off. Maybe they should reengage the technology themselves.

I own the VL board and BC3 for my Motif ES and think it’s great for specific, wind instrument-type work.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 03:29 PM
mo-z
Total Posts:  724
Joined  11-18-2005

I’m thinking that Wivi band would sound great with USB-EWI from Akai....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
SpongeBob - 13 April 2009 03:14 PM

As opposed to the link initially provided by Mogut (the useless TED), virtual modeling is indeed a very interesting and compelling technology. Yamaha has the VL70M and the VL expansion card for the older Motif family, but stopped development about 8-10 years ago (or so?) for some reason, probably commercial viability. I think the device Jordan demonstrated sounds better than where Yamaha left off. Maybe they should reengage the technology themselves.

I own the VL board and BC3 for my Motif ES and think it’s great for specific, wind instrument-type work.

Bob

In practice, Wallander instruments are optimized for wind controllers. They don’t work as well with keyboard controllers.

Virtual modeled instruments are getting much much better. If you haven’t checked it out, you owe it to yourself to check out the demos for these products:

http://www.samplemodeling.com

These products require a LOT of controller movement and essentially need to be “learned”, they’re not instant gratification but once you get the hang of using multiple controllers and key switches, they really do sound amazingly close to their real-world counterparts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 09:22 PM
spalding12
Joined  03-11-2009

thanks for the link, dave
awesome trumpet and sax
quite incredible actually

nice of you to share that with us

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2009 @ 09:41 PM
tearsinraine
Total Posts:  15
Joined  09-27-2006

wow!  that was pretty cool…

I remember checking out the Rudess video from a month earlier where he’s playing with Bebot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFG7-Q0WI7Q

but the sound of the wivi sounds amazing…

ah well… but count me among the iPhone deprived :( lol

[ Ignore ]