mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording arpeggios from the xs in pattern mode directly into logic"

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 08:38 AM
axxe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-20-2009

Hi, i am just wondering how i can record arpeggios right into logic ?( like right into logic and not by syncing a pattern on the motif to logic and then record )I could not find a similar post so i do not think this has been answered before.

Thanks, Axxe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 10:46 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Why would anybody want to record something into a DAW that is not synced?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 11:14 PM
alwaysuptil1
Total Posts:  137
Joined  02-07-2009

Even synced, how is it done?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 07:53 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

i mean, yeah they are synced together and connected, but i want to record right into logic and not on the motif first and then into logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 05:06 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Me too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 04:54 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
axxe - 10 April 2009 08:38 AM

Hi, i am just wondering how i can record arpeggios right into logic ?( like right into logic and not by syncing a pattern on the motif to logic and then record )I could not find a similar post so i do not think this has been answered before.

Thanks, Axxe

Ok, sorry it took so long to get back to you. But, you are asking about two different things: Arpeggios and patterns and how they are recorded is somewhat different as well. And, are you talking about recording the arps as MIDI or Audio. Also, recording arps from one Motif XS instrument can be handled differently from attempting to record arps from many… So exactly what are you trying to do…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 09:42 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

I was mistaken and asking about patterns which you just helped me out with on my other post. (Thanks a million, btw) So this question should address moreso the transfer of Arps into Logic from what I’m wondering at least.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2009 @ 09:49 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

Yeah i want to record midi from the motif, just one arp sequence at the time, not multple.  And I am recording from one motif only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2009 @ 02:36 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Yeah i want to record midi from the motif, just one arp sequence at the time, not multple.

Alright Axxe,
I finally got out from under it so, I can answer your question now… I’m going to give you two ways to accomplish this. For some reason this first way is acting a little funky today, even though it’s worked quite well in the past…

OK, all the work I do in Logic is from Song Mode so I haven’t tested any other way. There may be a simpler way but, here goes…

FIRST WAY

1) In Logic select from the Toolbar>Settings>Metronome and change MIDI Port to Off.

2) Select the MIDI Tab ( Toolbar>Settings>MIDI) and in MIDI Thru, change the ‘Instrument Without MIDI Thru’ to ‘Input Notes’- Reverse these settings when finished...

3) Create a software instrument track to record onto (this prevents a MIDI loop). Leave it blank. And, arm it to record…

4) On the XS, from Song Mode, Press [SEQ SETUP]; Press [F3] QUICK Select Template #4: ‘Recording Arpeggio to Computer’. Press enter to set it and exit.

5) Press Record, then F2 (Arpeggio). Set switch and hold to on. If you dont select hold, you’ll have to keep the key depressed. Select your arps and turn the Master Arpeggio Button On/Off to ‘On’…

6) Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic and press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps as necessary).

7) When finished, drag the regions to your External instrument track so you can hear it play… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will also record the arp to the XS sequencer…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

SECOND WAY

(Same as above with the following exceptions:

Skip step #3 / Steps #1, #2, #4 & #5 remain the same… then, proceed as follows:

6) Press stop on the XS transport…

7) On the MAC, Press ‘R’ to start recording in Logic- and, on the XS, quickly press: ‘Stop’ to stop the XS transport; press ‘Record’ and [F2] ‘Arpeggio’ (so that you can see and change the arps), then press any key on the XS (in sync with the click track) to start the arp on the XS. Change arps as necessary.

8) When finished, drag the region(s) to the beginning of the External Instrument Track… Edit, et cetera, et cetera…

NOTE: This will record the arp to the Logic only…
NOTE: At times after auditioning or recording arps you will continue to hear stray notes or arps playing. Toggle the Master Arpeggio Button to clear…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 06:52 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

thanks a lot man, i will try it soon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2009 @ 12:22 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

well tried the first method, but it didnt record it to my xs as well though..but that is actually great cus then its less work for me..but how can i match the tempo logic to the arp...the midi sync got to eb set to midi right? but then it would even play the arp

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 12:46 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Without knowing what settings may have been changed within Logic, it’s hard for me to discern why a particular method may not work… But you may find that the arps do not sync until starting the transport in Logic. It then sends the sync / and start transport messages to the XS…

As mentioned above, the sync should be set from the ‘Quick Setup’ screen on the XS: as follows-

The Utility settings on the XS. Interface should be set to USB or MLAN depending on your connection. MIDI Sync settings on the XS should be set via the Sequencer Setup button. Press ‘F3’ for ‘Quick Setup’ and choose #2 (Recording internal sequencer to computer),#3 (Recording to computer),or #4 (Recording Arpeggio to computer) depending on how you are recording into Logic.

Also make sure that Logic is set as your master clock: Settings> Synchronization> General Tab> Sync Mode= Internal; Auto enable external sync= unchecked…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 06:42 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

ok what i did was a bit different..i like the method though...i was playing with the xs yesterday and the arpeggios..and i went into pattern mode and set my arps as necessary. then i opened logic and set it to input notes...then i recorded.. the tempo matched because i just set the tempo manually within the xs according to logic. then i went on to another track and recorded another arp or just a normal instrument..this enables me to record both arps and instruments in one process which is great for me...have you tried this method before...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 04:15 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Very early into using Logic but, Logic and the XS have very different resolutions when it comes to it’s clock.and that’s not a very reliable way to ensure the performances are in fact synced…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 10:27 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

hmm. sorry maybe i should have started another thread for the sake of organizing. but when i record from the xs now, right into logic, no matter what mode or instr or arp, logic wont play it how it lies on the grid. Like if i record a piano patch from the motif and put it on the very first bar of my song..i will hear it like 1/2 second later...what am i missing here, some sync settings maybe? is there anything i should have set in the utility of xs and settings in logic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2009 @ 05:35 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

not sure- let me see if I can replicate it…

[ Ignore ]