mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transfering Multi/performances from Rack ES to Motif ES?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 08, 2009 @ 03:05 PM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

Hello,

How do i transfer Multis/performances from Rack ES to Motif ES? 

Would I be able to save my performances with the Rack Voice Editor and load them on the USB stick and onto the Motif ES?  Or is it more complicated than that?

Please let me know..  :)

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2009 @ 03:24 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Would i need to install the studio manager and multi editor?

Would it be possible to save all my performances (using Studio Manager)from the Rack ES and load it onto the Motif ES (via USB drive)?  I do not wish to do any complicated bulk dump and stuff like that.

If so, does anyone happen to know how?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2009 @ 03:59 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

I did a quick check of the system exclusive commands for the Motif ES and the Motif Rack ES and they appear to be compatible (down to the Model ID of “7F 00”. As a result, I believe this means that you could use the Motif Rack ES multipart editor to capture multis/performances from the Rack unit and then simply connect your computer to the Motif ES and use the same software to bulk dump them into the Motif ES.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

(Or if someone - perhaps BadMister - knows it won’t work, they’ll let us know.)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2009 @ 04:08 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Thanks, Brad.  That is what I was thinking as well. 

I guess i can’t use the USB drive. 

Connecting via USB shouldn’t be a problem.  Going through the Rack ES Multi Part Editor manual now.  Will hook it up shortly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Ok, one basic question.  Is “Multi” the same as “Performance”? 

If not, how would i dump the ES Rack Multis on Motif ES6 performance bank?

It seems I can have 16 parts in a Multi, whereas I can only have 4 voices in a Performance.  I am now totally confused.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2009 @ 06:17 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

I believe the Multi on the Motif Rack ES unit is the equivalent of a song or pattern mix on the Motif ES keyboard unit.

Regards,

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 10:21 AM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

I have done a search and it seems many were able to synchronize the voices from their ES workstation to the ES rack, but it may not be possible the other way around, unless Phil or someone from Yamaha can confirm this.

Oh, well, its a few voices/multis.  It should take me an hour or so to program them in my Workstation.  I bought the Rack only to be mobile, but it seems it can be a pain to keep both in Sync.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 11:01 AM
OneWatt
Total Posts:  57
Joined  08-07-2005

I don’t have a Motif keyboard (just a Rack ES) so I’m out of my element regarding half of your rig, but I would assume the Studio Manager would make transfers pretty easy. Easier still might be John Melas’ tools… but both options entail a computer in between.

Is it the case that you’re looking for a transfer mechanism that is USB-stick based only - no PC?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Actually, the Rack ES does have performance mode.  I need to check where i have the patches created. If it is in Performance mode, I should be able to dump the performances from the rack to the workstation.

Thanks everyone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 08:35 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002
Enigmatic - 10 April 2009 10:21 AM

I have done a search and it seems many were able to synchronize the voices from their ES workstation to the ES rack, but it may not be possible the other way around, unless Phil or someone from Yamaha can confirm this.

If you read closely, what folks who failed in their attempt were trying to do was to load Rack ES Multi editor files into the ES Multi-Editor… this will not work as the ES Multi-Editor (since the ES preceded the introduction of the Rack ES) has no knowledge of the Rack ES Multi-Editor format.

What I was suggesting you do is to simply use the Rack ES’s Multi-Editor to both capture the Rack ES’s performances and Multis and to transmit these to the ES. I think this will work (but, of course since I don’t currently own any of this gear, I can’t verify that). Since you have the gear, you have nothing to lose in trying this.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 05:03 AM
Derek Cook
Total Posts:  249
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi,

If you visit http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk and take a look at motif.factory, then (assuming you like it and register the demo) it should be able to do what you want and you won’t have to it a performance or a multi at a time.

With motif.factory, you’ll be able to bulk dump everything from the Motif ES Rack and then you’ll be able to load performances directly into the ES Keyboard.

As mentioned above, an ES Rack multi is equivalent to an ES keyboard song mixing template. motif.factory allows you to copy ES Rack Multis to the Song Mixing Templates or directly to a Song

HTH

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 11:07 AM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

Derek,

I had forgotten about your products… sounds like a great solution for this user’s challenge.

Best Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 04:14 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Hello Derek,

Thank you for such an awesome product.  I have purchased it and waiting for the license key.

Meanwhile, is there any way, I can hook up my Rack ES with a Midi controller and a PC at the same time?

It seems I can only perform one task at time, which is no biggie, but it would nice if i were able to play the rack and perform editing on the PC as well (MIDI/USB thingie).

Thanks everyone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 04:58 AM
Derek Cook
Joined  12-31-2005
Enigmatic - 11 April 2009 04:14 PM

Hello Derek,

Thank you for such an awesome product.  I have purchased it and waiting for the license key.

Thanks everyone.

Hi, You should now have your license key by email, thank you.

Enigmatic - 11 April 2009 04:14 PM

Meanwhile, is there any way, I can hook up my Rack ES with a Midi controller and a PC at the same time?

It seems I can only perform one task at time, which is no biggie, but it would nice if i were able to play the rack and perform editing on the PC as well (MIDI/USB thingie).

There’s no simple way to achieve this, and it’s my biggest frustration with the Rack, it would be great if it could treat both MIDI and USB MIDI as inputs that could be used together.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2009 @ 04:12 PM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the fast response.  Yes, i successfully transferred the performances to my ES workstation.  It only took few seconds to do the job. (It saved me hours of work and frustration.  Awesome job with the software.)

There’s no simple way to achieve this, and it’s my biggest frustration with the Rack, it would be great if it could treat both MIDI and USB MIDI as inputs that could be used together.

I guess I’m not the only one with the MIDI/USB dilemma with racks.  I wonder how we are supposed to even edit a voice using the Rack ES voice editors and with no preview of what we are editing. 

Yamaha makes all these cool softwares, which i sometimes find useless. 

Thanks for helping, though.

Warm Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
Derek Cook
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi,

I’m glad you found the software useful. When writing these apps I tend to focus on the stuff that I need which is not already in the available software, and bulk multi/performance dumps were something that I really needed on the Motif ES.

The USB/MIDI thing really frustrates me as my MIDI IN ports on my rack units are permanently plumbed together to the MIDI OUT of my keyboard rig. So the USB port is the only way I have of connecting the MOTIF to my PC for doing transfers.

But a thing I’ve learnt about Yamaha over the years is that their great products usually have a funny quirk somewhere ;-) On the EX5, it’s only being able to set two layers in a Performance mode to be played from the keyboard!

Cheers
Derek

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2