mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hard Disk Recorder Recommendations"

Posted on: April 07, 2009 @ 11:40 AM
S80Bob
Total Posts:  497
Joined  05-14-2003

Hi, I was wondering if you kind folks might be able to recommend a hard disk recorder with the following features;
1) could be an older used model
2) needs 8 track simultaneous recording, preferrable 8 xlr w/ phantom, but minimum 4 xlr (w/ phantom) and 4 1/4”.
3) needs min. 20GB HD, 40 or more would be better
4) needs a USB port. preferabble 2.0.
5) Does not need an on board CD writer. Tracks will be moved to PC in most cases.
6) I prefer dedicated knobs for EQ, effects send, panning as opposed to just a few multi-function knobs.
7) pretty decent pre’s.
8) I don’t need a drum/rhythm machine built in or amp modeling effects

I have in mind only four in mind in this order:
1) Korg D888
2) Yamaha AW1600
3) Zoom HD16
4) Zoom MRS-1608

I once had the AW16G but was disapointed in the lack of connectivity to a PC and sold it and went with a Lexicon Omega but I did not like recording to a PC. I had to fire up the PC, the hard drive, the interface… too much then all mixing controls were through a mouse… I didn’t like that. I often like to close my eyes when mixing so, dedicated knobs are big for me, that’s why I’m leaning towards the Korg D888

I appreciate any input or advice anyone is willing to share. Thanks.
Peace.
Bob <><

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2009 @ 05:19 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

FWIW...I had an AW1600 for a month, and just before throwing it in the front yard, I took it back to the store :) The issue for me was the complexity of the thing. It sounded great for the one recording I was able to make without gobs of reverb, but I never did come to terms with it. I tried a Tacsam 2488 and had it down in 30 minutes time, but it did not sound as good. Not sure this helps you any, but I have seen the 1600’s a while ago at around $850 new at GC. No experience with the Korg, but the Zoom recorders feel pretty cheap, especially compared to the Yamaha, which is bigger than you think, and built like a tank. It also has USB connectivity so you can move files to the computer without burning disks.

If you figured out the AW16G, then the Yamaha might be for you. The GC by me no longer carries them because I’m told the return rate was too high (ditto for the now defunct 01x). Could have something to do with the low price I saw a while back.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2009 @ 08:06 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

I use the AW16 and it is decent. I found it a breeze to use especially after the learning curve on the Motif. I have listened to all units except Zoom which is a more entry level machine. By far, the Roland VS2480, an older discontinued machine has the best quality recording I’ve heard. I’m not sure if it has USB connectivity, you would have to check. There is a noticeable difference in the sound quality of the recording on this machine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2009 @ 11:07 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I don’t know what you are looking to spend but, I do have a VS2480 for sale. I moved the Audio to my PC via the Presonus V-fire. Can record 16 channels simultaneously. I selling because I now own all MACs and Presonus stopped supporting the V-Fire Mac OS. Anyway, pm me if you have any interest…

Here is a link but, the VGA monitor was an option, any VGA would work. And, the CD on mine is external…

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=338

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2009 @ 11:29 AM
S80Bob
Total Posts:  497
Joined  05-14-2003

Well,

I went with a Zoom HD16CD… Should arrive this week. We’ll see how this goes. At one time I did have the AW16G and was a bit overwhelmed. Almost went for a Tascam 2488 but the inputs were too limiting.

Thanks
Bob <><

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mlan16e2 or Audiogram for XS7
Next Topic:

Newbie Need Sound Card Help ? ? ››