mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS8 AS VST IN LOGIC 8"

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 03:47 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Did you know that Logic 8 is already equipped for any MLAN outfitted XS to operate within Logic as a Software Instrument (VST)? Meaning, you can route the sixteen channels (8 Stereo) of audio into software instrument tracks and add Logic effects to them even before they are recorded…

The audio can be bussed around Logic, side chained into Ultrabeat, etc… It can be bounced as part of a mix without recording it…

You do want to make sure you properly set your Monitor Setup on the XS to ‘with PC’
Hey, this works with any Audio Interface/synth but we’re XSers here… :)

Here’s the Link

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 04:44 AM
alwaysuptil1
Total Posts:  137
Joined  02-07-2009

This is excellent.  This isn’t the first time you’ve explained this Motiv8, but this is the first time I’ve tried it and it’s great!  BTW, haven’t dug too deeply into it but have you noticed that the level meters are very low when you make the MotifXS an External Instrument?  How do you adjust that?

Always thankful,

-C

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 11:39 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Of Course, I used the VST very loosely, as an attention grabber, because Logic does not natively run VST’s. But, the External Instrument is a functional equivalent… I only operate in Logic via the Song Mode. So, from there- I have a couple of options.

1) UTILITY > [F2] I/O, and adjust the output gain(s)
2) SONG > MIXING > [F1], and adjust the volume…
3) SONG > MIXING > [F6] (Voice Edit), from there in Common Edit, [F1] General > [SF2] Play Mode, you have the opportunity to increase the Output Level…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 12:10 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Yeah, the External Instrument is what I’m talking about.  I’m a Logic only person as well. Curious, as I’m still learning the Motif XS, Why is the VOICE VOLUME not the same as the METER settings in MIXING MODE (of the Motif)?

Using your song mode as an example, from SONG I hit the MIXING button.  Channel 1 is set at 100 but when I hit the VOICE EDIT button and then the PLAY MODE tab, I see that the VOLUME is set at 59.  That seems to be a reason for the low output, no?

Do you know of a way, without adjusting each channel, to maximize all VOICE output VOLUME’s?

Also, regarding the External Instrument in Logic, I noticed that when you create the External Instrument, you can choose the INPUT VOLUME to max out at +6.  This seems to help normalize the Logic Meters.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 12:30 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Have tried this before but could only see how to achieve a stereo return using the External Instrument plugin.

Do you set up 8 of the plugins to achieve (if you need to that is) the 8 stereo returns?

B

PS I suspect there might be an embarassingly obvious answer to this :))_

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 02:01 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Have tried this before but could only see how to achieve a stereo return using the External Instrument plugin. Do you set up 8 of the plugins to achieve (if you need to that is) the 8 stereo returns? PS I suspect there might be an embarassingly obvious answer to this :))_

OK, bear with me, I’m not at my keyboard so, I’ll have to verify this later but,
1) Press Command+Option+’N’. In the pop-up dialog, choose ‘Software Instrument’ and check ‘multi-timbral’. It defaults to opening 16 tracks but you can change as necessary. You can also uncheck ‘Open Library’, (see Example #1).

2) Click and hold the I/O section of the Inspector, and choose External Instrument > Stereo, (see Example #2).

3) An External Instrument will open and the I/O section of the Inspector turns blue and reads External. In the MIDI Destination Section of the EI pop-up, select the mLAN Port #1, (your name may be different). When you highlight different tracks in the Arrangement Window you have the opportunity to change the Output Bus Assignments in the Inspector for that track… (See Example #3)

Do you know of a way, without adjusting each channel, to maximize all VOICE output VOLUME’s? Also, regarding the External Instrument in Logic, I noticed that when you create the External Instrument, you can choose the INPUT VOLUME to max out at +6.

Yeah, alwaysuptil1, I forgot about changing the -’Input Gain’ in the External Instrument. So you can have a range of -12db to +12db there… (see Example #4)... But, there is no shortcut except the XS Editor, which will help speed the work… essentially you are acting as a recording engineer as well as a musician / producer and there is no way around balancing maximizing your signals… The XS voices are ‘tweaked’ so that there is an internal balance within the instrument itself; to help facilitate a good mix. You are maximizing signals for recording: a different proposition…

Personally, it would speed things up for me if the XS Editor afforded us the opportunity to control the mLAN Output Gain… Unless I’m totally overlooking it- it does control the mLAN Output Select so, it’s seems natural that that functionality would be there also…

Image Attachments
EGS. 2.pngEGS. 1.pngEGS. 3.pngEGS. 4.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 06:04 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

Maybe I’m still not as clear as I thought I was on this External Instrument.  The latency is quite blantant (si?).  If I’m using my Motif as a plug-in and the sequence is coming from Logic through mLan of course, the sound is coming back as quick as it can, but not quick enough.  So if I am to Bounce this Logic Mix (song), won’t it bounce the latency?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 08:23 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

The latency is quite blantant (si?).

I’m not noticing any latency whatsoever. Have you switched your mLAN Monitor Setup to ‘with PC (DirectMonitor)’ that setting will eliminate any latency. The signal path is heard direct instead of flowing through the DAW which accounts for the slight delay that you hear…

Also, having done a little work in the External Instrument today: the advantage of a multi instrument is that you can simply highlight a track and you will hear the XS instrument for that track / MIDI channel. The disadvantage is that only six outputs are available to you. That is you can do a stereo mix or a couple -three submixes max.

Go through the trouble of created a different External Instrument for each corresponding XS track ensure that you can both route all 16 mLAN channels and add different effects to each individual instrument…

There are probably a great deal more differences but I only did some preliminary work with it today…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 10:09 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Boulez:

PS I suspect there might be an embarassingly obvious answer to this :))_

.....which of course there was:

I missed the ‘Multi-Timbral’ check-box in the External Instrument dialogue.

Once I ‘discovered’ this, all made sense - many thanks.

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2009 @ 10:22 PM
alwaysuptil1
Joined  02-07-2009

With PC.  That did it. Thanks again. I have MIDI routing questions regarding this External Instrument setup but let me do some reading before I post.  Just still a bit confused about the MIDI area.  Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 12:47 PM
paas
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-30-2010

First let me thank you for the clear explanation so far.

motif8mine - 06 July 2009 08:23 PM

Go through the trouble of created a different External Instrument for each corresponding XS track ensure that you can both route all 16 mLAN channels and add different effects to each individual instrument…

I can’t seem to get this working. I’m using a motif xs with mLan and I’ve created 2 external midi tracks (one for piano and one for bass) and 2 external instruments. The first external instrument Inst1 has a midi destination of XS8 MLAN:1 piano and the second external instrument has a midi destination of XS8 MLAN:2 bass. They both have for 1-2 for input which is also the output of the instrument track. Now when I add an echo to Inst1 (piano) I can hear the echo too on my bass. This is not what I expect. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance
Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 01:35 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

A couple three things:

First, use either external MIDI tracks or external instrument tracks but, not both. Actually, let me clarify. Often, in order to get the external instrument to ‘see’ the Motif’s ports, you must create a single external MIDI track before creating the external instrument tracks but, after that, it (external MIDI track) can be deleted…

Second, audio routing. You don’t mention which driver you are using, hopefully it’s the latest YSFW driver.

They both have for 1-2 for input which is also the output of the instrument track.

Ok now, regarding mLAN Output assignments from the XS: L,R = 1,2 in the input bus of Logic’s Track Inspector; m1/2 = 3,4 in Logic and so on. If both piano and bass are assigned to the exact same input bus in Logic, any effect placed on one is necessarily going to effect the other. So, for instance, if both tracks have an mLAN Output assignment of m1/2 as a stereo pair, their input assignment in Logic is 3,4. Even if they are on separate tracks, you are basically, doubling the signal- sending both piano and bass to each track in Logic. Are you following me? Change the external instrument representing the bass therefore to m3,4 for instance and the Logic input bus to 5,6. Then, you’re good to go…

p.s.- the bass doesn’t necessarily need to be in stereo… :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 05:21 PM
paas
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-30-2010

Thanks motif8mine!

I’ve deleted all external MIDI tracks, using only external instrument tracks now.
And I’ve used the XS editor to change the output select of each track and set the corresponding input bus in Logic’s external instrument.

Works like a charm now :-)

Cheers
Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Deleting Drum Samples
Next Topic:

Assignable footswitch ››