mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Notes meant for Logic Pro 8 Internal Software Sounds triggering my external Motif XS6"

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 10:08 AM
w7ptt
Total Posts:  156
Joined  02-16-2009

Hello All,

I have a question about using Logic Pro 8 with some of it’s internal software sounds in addition to hooking up an external synth (my Yamaha Motif XS6).

I do understand Midi Chanels.  For the purpose of example let me illustrate the following.  Let’s say I am going to build a sequence and I use Midi tracks/channels 1-4 with internal Logic Pro 8 software sounds (Bass, Guitar, Piano, Flute).  Then on Track/channel 5 I am going to use a Synth String sound that is in my external Motif XS6.

How do I not have the notes that are playing for Tracks/chanels 1-4 (the notes that are meant to be played with the internal Logic Pro 8 software sounds) not trigger anything on tracks/parts 1-4 on the Yamaha Motif XS6?  As we all know when you setup a template/pattern the default sound in the Motif is Piano.  How do I make the Motif NOT sound anything for Tracks 1-4?  I tried muting those tracks in the Motif XS and that did NOT work. 

What am I missing here?  How do I kill Parts/Channels 1-4 in the Motif XS6?

Bill :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 02:59 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

What you are describing sounds impossible. At least in this sense, the MIDI for software instruments is not sent to Port- meaning, it cannot get to your XS.

So, what’s happening? Good question! I’m even failing to see what settings you may have changed that could effect this. Perhaps, if you did some specific work in the environment…

I’ll think on this, but for now, try trashing your Logic preferences and see if that helps…

What is your setup? USB or MLAN?

Oh yeah, one other thing: are you referring to the recorded MIDI regions on Software Instrument Tracks triggering the XS tone generator? Or, are you referring to th XS being triggered as you play a Software Instrument? One is solved by turning off the Local On.{/i]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 03:09 PM
w7ptt
Joined  02-16-2009

My Setup is via USB.

I am baffled too.

I do know that if you record MIDI data to a given MIDI track/ channel, if you have two sounds on the same MIDI channel both will play.  So I was wondering how in the Motif XS I can make chanels 1-4 for example have no patches assigned to them so they will not sound if there is MIDI data on those MIDI channels for a different instrument (another board or internal software sound inside of Logic Pro 8?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 03:24 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

I add to my answer above so check it out! Anyway, are we dealing with a hypothetical or this is actually happening? Because- this is not about MIDI Channels, it’s about MIDI Ports.

Example: on I-75 you can drive drive north in your choose of lanes 1,2,3,4 etc… that’s MIDI Channels. Now, I-15 does the same thing the west coast; I-25 in the southwest; I-95 on the east coast that’s MIDI Ports… Those interstates are discrete! You can’t just jump from one to the other… And, the MIDI moving back and forth to your XS is traveling in lanes (channels) on an interstate (port).

I’m belaboring the point for this reason: Near I-75 in Kentucky there is a Speedway and cars run around that track also. But unless something’s seriously broken, there’s no provision made for them to ever reach the interstate. They just go round and round in their own little world: that’s a software instrument track…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2009 @ 04:09 PM
w7ptt
Joined  02-16-2009

You crack me up.  :)

Yes this really did happen to me.  I had recorded a chord with one of the internal Synth Sounds inside of Logic Pro 8 (I think it was called “Synth Sweep” or something similar).  I believe it was on Track 2, Midi Channel 2. What was weird was when I went to play it back (the MIDI data) it did play the Synth Sweep sound I had recorded, plus it played a note on the piano sound in the Motif XS6.

Very, Very strange.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Logic Environment Motif XS
Next Topic:

Instruments sounds different in different modes ››