mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do I set my MIDI output channels for an offboard drum sound module?"

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 07:54 PM
JohnCota
Total Posts:  39
Joined  12-16-2004

I am using the sequencer on my Yamaha Motif 6 to record a song. I have my Roland TD20 drum module connected to the Motif via MIDI in and out cables. I want track 5 of my song to be my TD20 drum track, so I set its MIDI output channel to 10 (because my percussion MIDI input channel is 10 on the TD20). I am able to transmit and receive from my drum set, however, the Motif seems to be transmitting on MIDI channels 1 and 2, which are triggering the melody voices on my TD20 also (which I don’t want). I turned those input channels off on my TD20, and now the TD20 is not being triggered at all - even though I have the MIDI channel on track 5 set to 10. I have been fooling with it for about 90 minutes and I decided to see if I can get some help on it.

Can anyone give me some simple clear instructions on how to get this working properly without triggering the unwanted sounds? The Yamaha user manual is a joke… I cannot find this information anywhere in there. It’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2009 @ 06:43 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

I think you may have to spend time with the TD20 manual to work out how to stop it responding on channels other than 10.

I thought there was a page in the motif where you could set the transmit conditions for the sequencer channels - I have not been able to find that today in a brief search.

But lets see if we understand your scenario:

You have recorded a whole song in the Motif’s sequencer - you want to use the motif as the sound source for everything except drums, but want to play the drum sounds of the TD20 brain.
The switches you have found so far seem to stop the whole setup working as opposed to one or two select channels.
Right?

If not, please post up some more detail of what you are trying to achieve. The TD20 brain is quite complex in itself so may have yet hidden depth for you to explore in the realm of MIDI.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 01:32 AM
JohnCota
Joined  12-16-2004

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. I cannot seem to get the Motif to stop transmitting on channels other than 10. I want the Motif to transmit on just channel 10 to the TD20 and not on any other channel (if possible).

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to make this happen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 01:57 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

On page 182 of the manual. From Song mode press F3 (Output) and from that screen you can change or turn off the output channels per track… This parameter does not effect the internal sound generator…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 05:47 AM
JohnCota
Joined  12-16-2004

Thanks… I saw how you could change the MIDI channel on each track… but I am wondering how to get the other MIDI channels to stop transmitting (1,2, or whatever). Maybe I will just try to turn off all but receive channel 10 on the TD20.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pad cutoff
Next Topic:

Problems with USB Please Help. ››