mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "working with VST in Cubase 5.0"

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 08:17 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Sofar I get the HALion one working properly as a VST in Cubase 5.0 and I am impressed with the quality of some of the voices. Especially I do like the Expressive Flute voice of HAlion one.

So because I got this VST working properly I installed my Garritan Bigband Jazz software again. But no success. Oh yeah, Garritan appears in the VST Instrument List and I can create a midi track for it as well, but the library is nowhere to find.
When I open the folder there is nothing. No Garritan instruments. Nothing.  The kontaktplayer opens also, but when I load from there an instrument it comes with an error mtelling me that the voice I select is made with a newer patch, so I have to download this patch. It does not tell what kind of patch or waht to download from. When I check my kontaktplayer licenses, everything is OK and there no new patches to download too.

So, I dont know anymore. I think the best thing is to forget those external VST LIbraries.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 12:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I certainly don’t know about where the content for those libraries goes… but why not ask Cubase to locate it for you?

When you open a VSTi, there is usually a way for you to Load Preset… when that dialog box opens there usually is a Categories button and a LOCATION button… try clicking on the Location…

This should open a tree that will indicate where the data for that VSTi is found. Uncheck the box next to the folder, and recheck it… if you are asked about the data answer “KEEP” and recheck the folder, this should locate the data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 12:25 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Yes, I think I tried that already. Using the Category and locate knob. But no Garritan instruments came in sight. Now I am not sure, so I will try it again to-night.

Thanks

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 01:05 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Jan, please don’t think negatively about all VSTi(s), simply because of one with which you might be having a problem. :) Many of us are running 20 or 30 VSTi(s), with no problem, so it’s just a matter of sorting out what is wrong with this one. A ‘fix’ is usually easy, and it’s often just a matter of moving something or pointing things in the right direction.
The install for JABB should have gone without a hitch. I know that because I just reinistalled myself on a new computer about 3 weeks ago. So something may have gone wrong during your install. Did you pay close attention to each stage of the install, and did you install the library on a separate hard drive or partition as recommended. If so, did you then point the JABB VSTi to that library? Since you can see the JABB VSTi in Cubase, that suggests that the JABB .dll is in the ‘right’ location and is being recognized. That in itself is already a big step towards success. However, your description also suggests that the library and instruments are not ‘talking to each other’. Can you tell us where your libary and the instruments are located. Are they together as they should be?
I assume you have downloaded and installed BOTH the NI update for the Kontakt player AND the update for JABB from Garritan...correct?? Both of these are important.
Anyway, as I say, please don’t give up because of this one incident. Installing a VSTi is usually problem free, but once in awhile during an installation, something goes into the wrong place. 99.9 times out of 100 though it’s either just a matter of getting the .dll file in the right place or getting the VSTi to find and identify its library.............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 03:55 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

frankE,

Installed are: JABB KP2 2.2.3
Kontaktplayer: 2.2.4
Everything is registered and activated.

OK. Its not working yet. The following files are in:

Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder: Garritan JazzVst.dll
kontaktplayer2.ddl
kontaktplayer 2_8 out.dll
kontaktplayer 2_16 out.dll

In the Garritan Jazz Bigband folder are all the libraries part 1 and 2. NKC and NKS files and the Jazz and Bigband KP2 NKX file
also in that folder are the instruments folder and the multis folder.

I suspect those files in the Garritan folder have to be moved elsewhere? or ??

Jan

Important. I found my mistake. Oh well mistake. In the VST instrument list you can also select kontaktplayer 2. LOL. So I did select that one and bingo theree was the kontaktplayer 2 with JABB inbedded. Now I can select instruments and play them in Cubase 5.0.

The instruments sounds very dry so I have to figure out how to make them sound better, more reverb etc. Any suggestions?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 05:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can make your own presets (actually with most VSTi synths you have to)… this is different from hardware synthesizers where you get Voices already processed with effects. VSTi mostly expect YOU to create your own.

Once you do you should save these as your “presets” so you don’t have to wind up processing them everytime you want to use them. You can use both INSERT Effects (where you route that individual VSTi to its own effects) and/or you can setup a SEND/RETURN situation for things like Reverb where every audio lane has access to it…

Setting up a SEND/RETURN REVERB is fairly easy in Cubase. You can create a FX CHANNEL.

You find it same as when you ADD a track. You can do so either by right clicking in the track area and “ADD FX CHANNEL TRACK” or you can go to PROJECT > ADD TRACK > FX CHANNEL

Now you can select a Reverb from your VST Effects.

Each AUDIO track or lane can have a SEND to this EFFECT.
So go to the AUDIO lane for your VSTi and click on the SEND. In the list you can create a SEND to the FX CHANNEL you created.

Of course additionally you can use INSERT effects on your Audio lane as well and save these as presets with that sound. If you come up with a combination of effects you like, then execute a SAVE PRESET - this way you can recall the sound with all the Inserts you used.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 06:21 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Jan,
Re: “In the VST instrument list you can also select kontaktplayer 2. LOL. So I did select that one and bingo theree was the kontaktplayer 2 with JABB inbedded.”
---So pleased you discovered that! Yes, you are not the first person that has made that ‘mistake’. :) There are several libraries now like JABB, Chris Hein Horns and Ethno World 4 that all run in the Kontakt player, and that’s the only way to get to them. This is not uncommon either. All the EastWest libraries run in their “Play” engine, and to open a library, you load PlayVST, not the name of the library you want. So it’s a very good thing to have discovered, and do hold on to that information for the future.

Re: “The instruments sounds very dry so I have to figure out how to make them sound better, more reverb etc.”
---BM has discussed how to add reverb in C5, and you can also look in the Plug-in Reference .pdf document that comes with C5 for more details on Cubase effects. Many of us use reverbs other than than the ones supplied with Cubase though, mainly because we feel the quality is better. There are many good reverbs on the market...to buy of course, but popular ones around here have been Altiverb (a convolution reverb something like the C5 Reverence plug-in)(expensive, but superb), SIR2 convolution reverb, RoomVerb, CSR (Classik Studio Reverbs) from IK Multimedia, and the reverbs from Universal Audio on their UAD-1 and UAD-2 cards (my favourite of those is the Plate 140). But they are all plug-ins and inserted in exactly the same way Bad Mister described. Perhaps first get familiar with the plug-ins provided by Steinberg in C5 then, if you ever feel some day like expanding your horizons, check out some of the other products I’ve mentioned.

And now that you’ve got a couple of VSTi(s) working, if you ever decide to add more, you’ll have a better idea of how they work and what to do. And JABB is NOT the best plug-in of its type on the market, especially when one considers sound quality, so there’s a whole new world out there just waiting to be explored by you. For example, check out Omnisphere (from Spectrasonics) some day, and I expect you’ll change your mind forever about synths, modules and VSTi(s). Absolutely superb!..........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A warning from Mr Stupid!!!
Next Topic:

Cubase 5 normal vs educational any difference? ››