mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif xs as external instrument in logic 8"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 11:59 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

There are so many things going on, I can’t address all of them in this post. We need to split them up. First, in the Audio section of the AMS, have you selected the Mobile Pre as your Input and Output? I forgot that it will not show in on the MIDI side until you connect to the Mobile Pre’s MIDI ports, not necessary to do in your setup!

However, it think I remember the cause of this problem. Have you downloaded the latest USB Driver? I believe the initial driver was not leopard compatible. My driver is ver. 1.1.1.

Last, no the multi instrument is created automatically. You can download one from here- The only value of it is that it will allow you to call up XS patches via Logic. I added them myself. But, you’ll still have to edit this enironment, if you use any of the XSpand your world voices.

http://www.bienlein-music.de/Equipment/equipment.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 02:21 PM
axxe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-20-2009

Yeah, it is set as the in and ouput. And i think i have the latest driver. At least it is version 1.1.1 as shown in the image below.

Image Attachments
Bilde 2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 09:05 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Hey Axxe,
I’m on vacation! 1st time in about three years. Anyway, I am not going to be able to get to my XS in order to try and replicate your problem… I will be checking in from time to time.

Can you play / record software instruments without any problems? Also, I should have asked this earlier. When you highlight the region containing the X’s and o’s, AND press the ‘E’ Key- What information appears in the Event Editor???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 12:49 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

I can record software instruments. But the xxx´s appear here as well. In addition I also hear whatever voice is selected on my motif because of the cable between the board and my interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 01:05 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

so lets say im playing a piano patch on the motif on a external midi track in logic, and then switch to lets say a exs24 instrument, i will still hear the motif along with it despite playing on a software instrument track. Am i going to switch midi ports every time i switch between the different track types?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 02:13 PM
gustavimprov
Total Posts:  59
Joined  01-16-2009

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 02:26 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

weird stuff is happening with my posts:

In addition I also hear whatever voice is selected on my motif because of the cable between the board and my interface.

What cable or cables are between your board and the interface? Are you talking Audio Cables, MIDI or both? I am assuming (Big Risk!) that this is your setup:

1) USB from XS to MAC; USB From Mobile Pre to Mac; Audio Cables from XS to Mobile Pre; And, nothing else… Am I right?

2) Also, check the following- From your Toolbar in Logic go to ‘Settings’>MIDI>General. Under ‘MIDI Thru’- ‘Sysex without MIDI Thru; should not be checked and ‘Instrument without MIDI Thru’ should be set to ‘No Output’. Under the Synchronization Tab (’Settings>Synchronization>General’), Sync Mode should be set to ‘Internal’. Under the Synchronization MIDI Tab make sure ‘Listen To MMC’ is not checked…

Am i going to switch midi ports every time i switch between the different track types?

The quick answer is ‘Yes’. But, it’s done automatically when you select a different instrument. For, instance: I have an external module connected to the MIDI Out of my XS. Port 3 is a MIDI Thru Port. So, when I select an external instrument and choose that 3rd port, MIDI goes to it every time I highlight that track and/or when there is a MIDI region in that track.

What where the events in the Event Editor????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 06:34 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

Here

Image Attachments
Bilde 1.pngBilde 2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 06:40 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

You are right about the setup. There is only one cable from the xs to the interface. Im going to get another cable as well, cus right now i can only play in mono. And there are no midi cables, only the audio cable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 06:46 PM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

Here are the other information in the event editor ( it seems like i just selected some of it in the previous post. And i checked the midi settings; they matched.

Image Attachments
Bilde 3.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

In the pic, you are the filtering out the “Additional info” what is it showing? And, did those changes have any effect?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2009 @ 10:22 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Seriously, at this point I think it time to start over.

1) Disconnect both the Mobile Pre and the XS from the MAC.

2) Follow the manufacturers directions to uninstall the Yamaha USB /MIDI Driver. Afterward check Mac HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers to make sure it is gone. If it’s there, trash it… Delete any remaining XS devices in Audio MIDI Setup…

3) Trash your Logic Preferences: go to the MAC HD>Library -> Preferences location and look for anything with “Logic” in the file name. Drag it to your desktop. After following all these steps, if the problem is resolved you can trash them. If not you can place them back in the folder… Do the same with anything name Logic here: home folder>library>preferences>

4) Reboot… Download and install the latest USB / MIDI driver from Yamaha… Power down… reconnect the Mobile Pre and the XS…

Follow that list I gave you the link to earlier:

1) Logic Pro 8 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected.
2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS. (So from the Desktop, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab. Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. You can rename it ‘Motif Baby’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close)…

3) Move it (the Motif Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). (There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports. Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’)…

4) Open Logic 8 and create an external instrument track; the Motif should appear in the Media / Library as an option… (more than one Motif port will be shown; select the one that has the exact name as the device in you setup in AMS. The 1-16 correspond to your XS Midi channels)

5) To record more than one midi channel at a time, you must do the following: From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings}; Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel… When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the Motif Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel. When each track is record enabled, the Midi should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops… Of course, follow the Motif Manual’s instructions about turning off ‘Local’, etc…

This has got to work!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 06:38 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

I cant really uinstallt the driver. The uinstallation guide tells me to delete certain files; like Library → Audio → MIDI Driver → YAMAHAUSBMIDIDriver.plugin. But the file werent there, thats strange and implies that the usb driver had not been properly installed in the first place. But anyway, i have deleted the components the guide told me to, at least the ones i had, but the usb driver still shows here:

Image Attachments
Bilde 4.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 09:57 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Aha!
Make sure you’re checking the Main Library Folder (MAC HD> Library. Typically, when you open the finder it highlights your ‘Home Folder’ (Your Name>Library).

Anyway, if your cannot locate it, go ahead and reinstall the driver…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 11:19 AM
axxe
Joined  03-20-2009

I managed to delete it and reinstalled the driver. But Im still getting the x´s no matter what channel im on. And the motif still has 4 items in the library. Am i going to keep the files at my desktop or?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ logic and motif xs
Next Topic:

How do I route the audio from mLAN into LOGIC 8? ››