mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“Reality Check”"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 14, 2009 @ 08:36 PM
mustbthemix
Total Posts:  964
Joined  01-02-2004

I posted this song in “08” for a very brief moment, snatched it off and done some more editing and mixing using T-Racks 3.
I renamed it and compressed it down to a MP3 file, sorry if the sound quality isn’t that great.

File Attachments
Reality Check - (Mustbthemix)-Just Me.mp3  (File Size: 3220KB - Downloads: 893)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2009 @ 08:42 PM
The Funk Master
Total Posts:  3686
Joined  11-26-2007

Nice bass homey LOL, you already know I like this groove.
WHere is the lead, during that brake, just before the bridge?
Hey, nice ending also.,,typesd as I listened.

THanks for sharing your work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2009 @ 08:52 PM
mustbthemix
Joined  01-02-2004

LoL, Sorry I got real lazy and did’nt put one in there.
I thought I’d let the groove cook a lil bit.(LOL)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2009 @ 08:56 PM
lexus
Total Posts:  157
Joined  01-27-2006

Excellent work! Love the drumming and the general composition :)

Keep up the good work…

Bryan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2009 @ 10:18 PM
LovemyMotif
Total Posts:  505
Joined  02-17-2009

MBTM:

This reminds me of some of Chick’s Corea’s early stuff with Return to Forever.  To me they were ahead of their time.  Your song has “Great rhythm and groove.” Laid back enough to just chill and open your eyes every now and then to make sure the that the World is still spinning.  Keep on rolling :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 02:16 AM
hncheema
Total Posts:  1470
Joined  08-27-2008

hey i remember this one,

and this version is better, remind me of philly sound.

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 11:23 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

Smooth and tight.  Easy to tisten to. 

Can you share your drum programming approach?  The rolls and syncopation were very well done… and this is an area of study for me at the moment (read - I suck at drum programming right now...)

Any insight/wisdome/tricks/tips on drum programming?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 12:03 PM
CrocAUS
Total Posts:  421
Joined  03-04-2009

great track, druming was outstanding.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 07:57 PM
mustbthemix
Joined  01-02-2004

A big Thank You! To everyone that replied, I don’t know how to reply to each person’s post on this new site, so I have to compile all of your post in one reply (sorry).

T-Bone, as to your question concerning drum programming?
I use a Korg PadKontrol with Superior Drummer, which for me works better than trying to tap out drum patterns on the keyboard, besides it’s less stress on the actual keys.
What I usually do first is tap out my drum track in a rough draft in what I like the drums to do for the song, I then go back and lay down each drum part on it’s own separate track.
starting with the bass drum on track 1, snare on track 2 etc.
until all parts are laid down, then I go back and clean up each track and make sure all notes are hitting where they should be, then again I go back and edit the velocity on each track, so that my drums are playing hard at certain points in the song and playing softer at certain intervals. this will give the song great dynamics and will not sound bland, and then it’s time to mixdown all the drum tracks ie. applying compression, reverb,eq. once I’m pleased with the results I then bounce down all the drum tracks to a single wave file. (A word of caution). If you are using software to record your music (Do not DELETE your midi data)! archive it, just in case when you are mixing down your entire song and you need to go back and adjust the volume on a certain drum part you can easily do so. I learned this the Hard Way(LOL).
Since my first instrument is drums over 30 yrs. experience.
It comes natural for me what I want to hear the drums do in a particular song. oh I forgot to mention, do your fills and rolls as overdubs, this the most easiest way to get good tight sounding drums. (A little studio trick) lay down the basics and add the flavor later(LOL).
I hope this gives you some insight to your already expanding knowledge and that you will find it helpful!

Thanks..............(MIX)

Now if I can get some keyboard pointers, to get me up to speed(LOL)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2009 @ 07:26 AM
J Boz
Total Posts:  529
Joined  02-17-2009

ahhhhh, the lost art of editing velocities !!! it’s tedious work but it makes all the diff in the world in your songs. i was taught this a while ago and now i’m always editing my velocities.
i have a Trigger Finger that i seldom use but everytime i hear one of your tracks i may have to dust it off....LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2009 @ 11:15 PM
mustbthemix
Joined  01-02-2004

Hi kyle, Tedious to say the least (LOL), thanks for the reply.
every since I purchased the padkontol along with SD 2.0, it has taken my creativity to a whole new level.
I’m really having a blast with this setup, my next major purchase will be some Roland V-Drums (sorry Yammy).
by all means, bring that Trigger-Finger back to life!(LOL)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2009 @ 07:06 AM
mmusic
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  05-24-2008

I can´t say anything to this song, except: Great work! Arrangement, drumming: perfect!

LOve your songs!

Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2009 @ 07:29 AM
The Funk Master
Total Posts:  3686
Joined  11-26-2007

Hey MIX,,I don’t think you need that much keyboard training buddy, your pretty good.
One thing that did suprise me though, is that you, just like me, started out playing drums first in life.
In the early eighties, I started playing the bass guitar, to compliment my drums.LOL
Now it’s the keyboards,,been at it since 2003, and I must say that the piano, is one of the hardest instruments I’ve ever picked up,,well you know what I mean,,that’s for the jokers out there, like me.

Yep, I know, i set myself up for that one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2009 @ 12:41 PM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

I like the drums and the bassline. Those drum fills are nice. Thanks for sharing. Funky jazz piece. LOL…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2009 @ 10:23 PM
mustbthemix
Joined  01-02-2004

As always Michael, thanks for the kind words, glad that you love the songs.
Now get to work, and create one of those beautiful arrangements. (LOL)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2009 @ 10:32 PM
mustbthemix
Joined  01-02-2004

Hi TFM, the drums was my first instrument, I got my first drum set when I was 7 yrs old, and I been playing every since.
I started playing bass guitar in “87” and been playing every since.
I’m new to the keyboard world according to a lot of cats that I know(LOL).
been playing keys since “04”, and It’s been a great experience, I’m having a lot of fun.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Megamix
Next Topic:

Revenge ››