mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What Can and Can’t Be Done ??"

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 09:50 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Total Posts:  327
Joined  05-31-2007

Hey people,

I seem to be getting myself ever more confused with all the various pieces of Cubase / Studio Manager / Editor etc....

I think I’m expected too much of certain things, so I’m kind of turning to you guys to help me get my head around what can and can’t be done with the different functions.

First Off - What I have and what I’m trying to Achieve :

Currently all I have is a laptop, my XS6, a USB stick and a USB cable. ( see my other thread for how far I’ve got setting it all up ) I have lots of PATTERNS, and about a dozen or so SONGS stored in my XS6. To the point that I’m now out of memory. So what I want to do is offload everything to Cubase, just as a sequencer at the moment, so I can free up memory.

What I’m expecting to happen is that I save off each SONG or PATTERN on the XS ( to an ALL file ?? ), and load that into Cubase as a new project for each song presumably. Having then deleted the song from the XS, I’m also expecting that the XS editor within cubase will then change any settings on the XS that are setup for each song. I should then be able to hit play on Cubase, and hear my SONG / PATTERN played back through the XS as it was originally, although all data will be coming from Cubase.

Is that how it should happen ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 10:11 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Max

Why not saving first everything to a cheap USB stick as a XOA file? That way you have saved everything from your XS6 to the USB memory stick, right. Just to be on the safe side.

The rest depends of the power of your labtop. My preferences is to use mLAN as the audio/midi interface. Meaning you have to buy the mLAN16E2 board.

You can in principal download an individual song from the XS6 into Cubase 4.5.2 or Cubase 5.0. Again depending of your budget I would choose for Cubase 5.0

I am not sure, but you can only download songs one by one to dedicated project files.

For the rest its a matter of downloading the correct software to get things to work.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

Jan,

I have a USB stick ( as said in originall post ), which I’m using to save the songs / Patterns.

I have Cubase AI4 that came with the XS6, and as said, using USB to hook it up with. I guess one of the questions I have is will cubase send the instrument setup back to the XS when the project is loaded up ?? or am I going to have to manually set those back up again each time I load the SONG on cubase ?

ie - Does the Editor within Cubase talk direct to the XS over USB ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 10:33 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Max,

Yes.

In principal you are able to transfer a song to Cubase, incl. all settings and even incl. audio samples used in that song. At least in Cubase 4.5.2 or Cubase 5.0. I do not know in Cubase AI4.
Ofcourse you must have installed the XS Editor software V1.1.1 and Studio Manager V2.3.0. and maybe the steinberg extension software as well.

I think Bad Mister has posted some example how it works.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 10:45 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Max

I found this thread from Bad Mister in the archive.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/399909/

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 11:05 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

Thanks Jan,

Just need to get the editor sync’d with the XS now ( currently saying firmware version error, although I’ve loaded the extensions, Studio Manager, and editor v1.1.1 for USB ( vista )).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 11:52 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Max,

I do’nt know I am working with mLAN. I have no idea what to do with USB interfacing.

Jan

[ Ignore ]