mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "video out on motif xs possibility"

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 02:45 PM
KJandKT
Total Posts:  648
Joined  07-12-2008

I had read a post that said this is possible with an update to the motif xs.  Is this actually possible with the current i/o’s that it has?  That would be a very cool feature.  Definitely one that the other workstations of the big 3 don’t have.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 09:08 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

Yes; it’s technically possible. Basically, the Motif XS would send its display out over the ethernet port using a protocol like VNC. You wouldn’t be able to use just any monitor, though, you’d actually need a PC to be driving the display.

I have no idea if Yamaha plans to do that.

Most people would like to be able to direct-connect a monitor, and there isn’t any way to do that with the current hardware. Still, a VNC connection would allow some people to have a very large window on their PC that shows the contents of the Motif’s display. That might be worth something to people that are using PC-based software, since they’d be able to push that VNC window over on to a second monitor connected to the PC, or, at the least, be able to switch between the Motif’s VNC window and the window for their sequencer.

At any rate, doing this costs nothing in hardware, and the PC software to display the VNC session is free, but Yamaha would need to allocate engineer time to build that support in to the Motif XS OS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 09:54 PM
KJandKT
Total Posts:  648
Joined  07-12-2008

Thanks for the reply.  Don’t know if that is something that Yamaha will want to spend engineering time on, but definitely interesting to know that it’s possible.  Thanks! Have a blessed night.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 01:03 AM
Kingfrog
Total Posts:  123
Joined  02-15-2009

That would be my biggest grip and most wanted feature as I am spoiled by the Tyros tilt screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 02:34 AM
ajm786
Total Posts:  185
Joined  12-27-2008

This is a feature that I’d really like on the XS. This would help tremendously in the song making process, since you are not constrained to a tiny LCD screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 11:50 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

yamaha didn’t put nice big screen into motif to give you option to by pass it...Although technically possible it would require more clever network programming so I doubt you’ll ever see this feature. Looking at how the XS files system is written I can assume motif’s OS is too basic and too slow to handle this.

They don’t want to add much simpler things like regular metronome or internet connection etc…

[ Ignore ]