mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Spring Software Update for the sampling function"

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 05:39 PM
maymanuel1
Total Posts:  43
Joined  03-26-2008

Since we have been talking quite a bit about the new update coming up mostly on the sampling function, I figured I’d ask and hopefully get a straight answer from Yamy..

OK, many very many posts have been in and out of the forum regarding the infamous “click/pop” when looping a sample…

I understand that we can fix the samples by adding a small fade in/out, but the click is still audible. I understand that it would be best to fix the sample at the beginning and end at 0db, but unfortunately the click is still there.

Moderators..
*Is this something that has not been incorporated, because Yamaha hopes that the consumers goes out and buys a dedicated sampler?
*Are the guys that create the wonderful voice libraries for sale on the Motif Store thinking no one would buy their product, after customers are able to load their own sounds?
*Does it not become fixed, because Yamaha is afraid that the consumer will not buy the next generation workstation(since we would have access to many of our own sounds)?
*Is this something that cannot be fixed because of the hardware in the XS?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated…
I still love my Yamaha!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 06:09 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

If you follow the right steps there will be no clicks or pops when creating a drum groove loop.  Could you describe exactly what you mean and what you are doing ?

We think you may be missing the Extract step.  If you tell us what you are doing, we can provide a step by step on getting perfect drum loops very easily.  We have done literally hundreds of loops with no problem.

If you are talking about looping strings and pianos, this is different question completely. Creating instrument libraries is simply not that easy to do and requires different tools typically software based.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 06:54 PM
maymanuel1
Total Posts:  43
Joined  03-26-2008

I have a couple of wav files that I want to make into a voice.
Lets use strings as an example, with by the way, the wav files I have sounds infinite when looped in Pro Tools or Ableton Live from beginning to end with no click.
I upload the wav or aiff files accordingly(c1, f#1, c2, f#2...),
I Normalize the files,
I add a small fade in and out hoping to eliminate the pop,
lay the sounds across the keyboard,
Set the parameters to “loop”
And the new string voice sound good until the loop occurs..
What am I doing wrong??

And wasn’t there a guide made my Mr. BadMister on here somewhere?? Bc, I followed that, and still had a audible click in my new voice..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

If you have looped them in another appication and they sound fine, can’t you import them and just turn the Loop parameter on ? 

Normalizing will change the relationship between the beginning and end points, but if you save them from he other application as .wav and AIFF and import them and trun the loop parameter on they should playback and sound the same as on the other applications.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 08:53 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

maymanuel1,

If you’re trying to create instrument sounds on the XS by loading single-shot samples of things like a piano note from attack to decay, and using the sample edit parameters in an attempt to loop it, you’re never going to be able to produce loops that cycle in the way that the internal ROM waveforms cycle. When you set a loop time in Sample Edit, the XS will loop back to that time once the end of the sample is reached, but the abrupt changes of the waveform’s amplitude from the end of the sample to the point at where the loop restarts will always produce some sort of click. That is just what happens when the smooth cycle of a waveform is broken.

There are two ways to get rid of the click.

1. Be sure that the end of the loop, and the exact point in the loop where you restart the loop, are at the origin/0 crossing of the waveform. If you do this, there will never be a click because of looping, but this doesn’t guaranty that the pattern of tone that the instrument plays during the loop will sound pleasant.

2. In order to make waveforms that smoothly cycle like the internal waveforms, you need to use a function called auto crossfade. Auto crossfade does two important things. First, it makes sure that the loop points cross 0 amplitude boundaries, so there isn’t a click. Secondly, it uses a technique to blend some of the tone at the end of the loop in to the beginning of the loop, and vice-versa. In this way, there is no click, and the cross fading makes it more difficult to hear the point where the sample loops.

No Motif has ever had a cross fading option. No Motif has ever, as far as I know, had an option to even snap sample start/end/loop times to 0 crossings. These used to be common sampler functions, but, for various reasons, they seemed to have been left out of the Motif. Therefore, if you want to accomplish cross fading, or even looping of basic samples without cross fading, you need to use computer-based software.

The Motif still will sample complete phrases, and can slice+sequence them in to loops in the sequencers, but it isn’t able to be used for producing instrument voices by itself. The sampler is for triggering prerecorded phrases, chopping and shuffling up existing loops, and recording vocals or other one-shot effects, but it is not for creating new instrument sounds from things that you sample, like you’d traditionally expect a sampler to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 08:57 PM
_MusicMan_
Total Posts:  86
Joined  11-13-2008

Good info, bsmart
Doing the job in NI’s Kontakt..then loading into XS would probably be the way to go.

[ Ignore ]