mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOtif ES Rack + PLG150-AN + Studio Manager HELP!!!!"

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 12:41 PM
vagnersiq
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-06-2009

Friends,

I bought a PLG150-AN yesterday and I´m having a lot of problems and doubts.

1)I installed AN EXPERT EDITOR but it doesnt appear in Studio Manager!! I tried a lot of things, copy dlls, desinstall and install again, change directory...nothing works...Studio Manager doesnt “see” AN EXPERT EDITOR

2)Then I tried AN EXPERT EDITOR as Stand Alone...I put MOTIF ES RACK in Voice and open AN EXPERT EDITOR...I load Voices in the editor...and I can play them in my keyboard but, I cant save anything in the module!!

I read some posts that explain that I will have to save and load patches in UTILITIES - JOB - PLG SAVE and PLG LOAD...but still I can undestand.

Always I only have only one patch in edit...I never could access or save, or load...two patches...I load patch in editor..edit, and so… I cant do anything else...if I change patch, I lost everything.

Please...someone have a Tutorial for use PLG150-AN step-by-step...starting in How Studio Manager see it??

Thaks

Vagner

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 06:11 PM
*73*
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-25-2009

For your main problem (studio manager not “seeing” the PLG150-AN editor), make sure that in the studio manager setup you add the PLG to your workspace. That will allow you to open it up from within studio manager.

Now the hardest thing to learn to manage with the PLG150-AN is the fact that it is an entirely passive device with no memory. However that is where the Expert editor comes into play along with the PLG Save and load features on the motif. You mentioned that you’re able to open the expert editor and play your keyboard to play it’s sounds and make changes to parameters via the expert editor and these are reflected by the sounds coming out of the motif. This shows that you have proper communication from the computer to the AN board, this is good.

One thing worth mentioning. Don’t try and look for visual feedback from the display on the motif. It does not “update” names or even patches when using the Expert editor. As long as the sound coming out of the motif continues to reflect changes you make in the expert editor, things are working fine.

Once you’ve edited a voice to your satisfaction and want to save it. Press the “store” button on the expert editor and it will bring up a window allowing you to select where you’d like to save the voice (ie: in one of the 128 user voice slots). This saves the voice in the expert editor and is only half of what you need to do in order to get things saved on the motif. After you’ve created any number of “user voices” and saved them with the expert editor, use the bulk transmit function to send these voices to the motif (here you can select to send just one voice or however many you created).

Upon completion of the bulk transmit from the expert editor to the motif, all the user voices (bank 36, 002) for the AN board will reflect exactly what you did in the expert editor (names and all). At this point you will use the Motifs PLG save function to store the voices internally in the motif for recall at a later date (using the PLG Load feature, which can be automated to load every time the unit get powered on).

One more thing I’m going to mention is that make sure you understand the difference between the different user banks for the AN. There is 2 different user banks, one of them (the one I mentioned earlier) is for the AN board and contains 128 voices (Bank 36, 002). The other one is user programs for the Motif, here you only have 64 voices (PLG*USER, *=is the plug in slot that the board is installed in). The difference between the two is that the board voices are the actual voices of the AN board and the PLGUSER voices are just voices that are further integrated into the motif and they use a board voice (any board voice, preset or user) to build on with the addition of the motifs effects (this is done with the motif voice editor and can not be accomplished with the use of the AN Expert editor).

All this can be rather confusing, but I’ve found that it’s best to get comfortable with the expert editor and then worry about creating Plug in user voices with the motif voice editor later.

FYI: Once you do create a PLGUSER voice with the motif voice editor it’s only going to reference the chosen AN Board voice. If you’ve changed that particular board voice (or forgot to load your voice programs) the motif will not know this and it will just apply the motif FX to whatever board voice is currently occupying the given slot.

Hope this helps to clarify things for you.

Gabriel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 04:09 PM
vagnersiq
Joined  03-06-2009

Hi Gabriel,

Almost is everything ok. Now I can undesrtand how PLG-150AN works in my MOTIF ES. Thanks a LOT!!!

Still Studio Manager “not seeing” AN expert editor. An editor doesnt apper in Device Editor, then i cant ADD it for Workspace.

I tried install it in another notebook, but I receive the same results.

Again, tks for your help!!!!

Vagner

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2013 @ 05:15 AM
rootberg
Joined  07-22-2013

Just wanna say that the answer from user *73* was very helpful. Been trying to “get” the PLG150-AN and Motif Rack ES combo for some time (and I’m an experienced user of music equipment and computers). But this post was _the_ most helpful I’ve found, counting official manuals etc.

I now have my PLG150An working with my Motif Rack ES as I thought it was supposed to work. Before this I started to have doubts of having my own expert edited sounds on the unit loaded automatically.

So if I’m not mistaken one key component in the confusion about the PLG150-AN + Motif Rack ES combo is that many manuals for different PLG compatible units talk about loading user sounds from a “smart card”. Now there is no smart card reader on the Motif Rack ES, but there is this internal memory which you reach by the utility menu (as mentioned above by *73*), and it serves pretty much the same function, being able to autoload your expert-edited sounds that you have saved after bulk-transfering them from the expert editor to the Motif Rack ES.

Thanks again, hope it’s ok to respond so late. This is my first post btw! :)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ perf/arp to pattern
Next Topic:

Studio Manager issue ››