mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS as VST in Sonar?,,Possible?"

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 10:47 AM
The Funk Master
Total Posts:  3686
Joined  11-26-2007

If so, then what besides the two will I need to get it to working?
Also, how do you get the Editor to work in Sonar, or with Sonar?
One more question, maybe two,,Not having a router hooked up to my studio computer, what do I need for the XS to be hooked up to it as it were via the Ethernet?

Other those few questions, I am totally loving creating music with my XS, I’m a proud owner.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 01:12 PM
CrocAUS
Total Posts:  421
Joined  03-04-2009

i can’t help you with first part but as for ethernet connection without router all you need is cross over cable (you should be able to find cross over cable in just about any computer store)

and then you will have to setup tcp/ip details by hand on both ends (motif and your pc)
setup for example on your pc
IP: 192.168.1.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0

and on motif
IP: 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0

gateway and dns entries you should be able to leave empty, they not needed unless you setting it up for internet and not as you plan pair 2 pair

if you don’t know how to setup ip address on motif or on your computer let me know what system you running and i will post quick steps for you.

hope that helps
Tom

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 01:41 PM
coyote144
Total Posts:  51
Joined  08-15-2008

As Sonar is not VST3 compliant yet, it will not load the new Motif XS VST editor, which is a VST3 software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

What is different between using the VST3 editor and just running an editor in another window, like the John Melas editors?

I use the Motif XS with Sonar over mLAN. I run John’s mix editor at the same time as Sonar, so can adjust most mix settings there. You can also select any of the 16 parts in his mix editor, and his voice or drum editors will open so that you can edit the voice that is assigned to the mixing part.

Perhaps the VST3 editor just makes this all more organized, since it opens in a properties window of the DAW host. It’s also free, so that’s another advantage. Are there any other technical advantages, though?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 01:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The other advantage(s), for those using the IEEE1394/mLAN connection is that it allows for additional routing and processing possibilities within your DAW.

The Motif XS Editor VST is launched via the VST INSTRUMENT rack within the DAW (Cubase). As with any VSTi, you are asked to create a MIDI Track for its data, and if you would like to assign that MIDI track to that VSTi. The VSTi, in turn will output its AUDIO data in response to incoming MIDI… basic setup really: The VST version of the XS editor gives you 8 pair of audio returns from the XS via firewire to your computer.

You record MIDI tracks in the DAW (Cubase). Those MIDI tracks are routed (echoed back via) MIDI OUT to the Motif XS Editor VST. The Motif XS responds to the MIDI data and returns audio via the main L&R;and 14 assignable mLAN Outputs. You get 8 pairs of returns

Any PART in the XS routed to “L&R;” will be sent to the DAW via the main mLAN L&R;OUTPUT through to a stereo VST audio lane. It will pass through the SYSTEM EFFECTS, the MASTER EFFECTS, and the MASTER EQ of the XS prior to arriving in your computer. This allows you to process these tracks with both Insertion and System effects, both PART EQ and Master EQ, etc.

You will monitor this signal post (after) the DAW. This way any processing you do in the DAW is audible.

Any PART in the XS routed via any of the assignable (individual) mLAN output pairs will be sent to the DAW on its own audio lane… It will leave the XS with its two INSERTION EFFECTS but not pass through the SYSTEM EFFECT, not the MASTER EFFECT, and not the MASTER EQ.... So obviously, when you want to additionally process a PART with a VST EFFECT you may have in your DAW, this is a clear advantage.

When it arrives in the DAW you can process it with VST Effects. So it adds to the flexibility when making the production decisions about processing your signals…

This in addition to the fact that you can now do AUDIO MIXDOWN on your MIDI Tracks _ because you have established the “MIDI Track OUT > XS tone engine in > XS tone engine out > audio return” pathway necessary to use this function. You can use the AUDIO MIXDOWN function to render your data as AUDIO; you can even FREEZE audio (in the versions of Cubase where that is available).
FREEZE allows you to then take your Project file and play it back on a laptop when your XS is not available. It also frees up (pun intended) valueable CPU processing when you are using some intensive VST EFFECT processing to realize your results.

For those doing music production in the computer environment it is a big advantage in the flexibility it provides.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
Kingfrog
Total Posts:  123
Joined  02-15-2009

WOW that is nice.....14 audio returns to separate tracks. I wonder too if Cakewalk will implement VST3. May have to set up the MLAN again...and send the Presonus Firebox to MIDI heaven.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 06:14 PM
KJandKT
Total Posts:  648
Joined  07-12-2008

crocAUS,

I actually need help with the ethernet setup if you have time.  I have Mac OS 10.4.  I have a 5 port ethernet switch hooked to the ethernet port on the mac.  Going into the switch is a wireless gaming adaptor (picks up the wireless internet for me) and the motif XS.  I can’t figure out how to get the motif to recognize the host.  Also, the subnet on the mac only shows 255.255.0, not 3 sets of 255.  Do you know how I can get the ethernet working for the motif xs?  Can I use the ethernet to load sample banks into the motif xS (like the new banks Yamaha has just given us)?

Thanks for the help in advance,

God bless

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 10:28 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

Wow, Bad Mr., that sounds like a big time saver. I can do a lot of that now, but I have to set it all up by hand (manually saving/recalling Motif mix via SysEx bulk dump, using Sonar External Effects plug ins to simulate the XS as a softsynth, manually setting up MIDI tracks).

I really hope that Sonar can get VST3 support soon. I’m blind, so use a screen reader, and the only complete screen reader/DAW bridges are available for Sonar. From what I read on the Cakewalk forums, though, Cubase is the only DAW that uses VST3, and there aren’t many synths that use it yet, so not much of a rush for others to support it. The whole VST3 thing looks very political. Most people over there say VST3 is primarily an API change, and doesn’t offer any major benefits that aren’t possible to work in to VST2. I’m sure there must be some benefits, even if small, though. Others say that supporting VST3 would somehow break compatibility with older plug formats, though I don’t understand the technical reasons for that. I really hope that last isn’t true, as there are just way too many plugs in DXI and VST2 to throw those formats out. In either case, I’m not informed enough on the subject to have an opinion.

At any rate, it looks like it will be quite some time before I will have anything that will let me take advantage of these time savers, though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 11:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Steinberg invented the VST protocol. I still have access to all my VST2 stuff… those who say that may have misspoken. As far as I know, you should not lose anything.

[ Ignore ]