mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A Little Mellow Something…"

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 04:11 PM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Total Posts:  327
Joined  05-31-2007

Just been messing around and found a lovely little performance to put something to....

File Attachments
L058.MP3  (File Size: 2806KB - Downloads: 751)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 02:11 AM
hncheema
Total Posts:  1470
Joined  08-27-2008

hi maxx

this is really good, love that sax sound.

ends all of a sudden LOl

cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 03:02 AM
monkbaimei
Total Posts:  15
Joined  03-06-2009

Nice jam Maxx, keep banging them out...Peace

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 09:08 AM
J Boz
Total Posts:  529
Joined  02-17-2009

yes that is smooth. very nice piano also.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 09:43 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

Why… thank you people. It’s a little different for me. I usually seem to go for either heavy guitar sounds, or electronica stuff. Who knows, it may spark a whole new direction for me !!! LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 01:25 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

Has a Zero 7 feel to it. I like it.

I’m not a fan of synth sax, so I like the piano part better. I think this would sound awesome with a warm electric piano of some sort. Nothing tinkly or bell sounding though, you know?

After listening to some of your stuff I think you might like some David Holmes too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 07:00 PM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

Not bad. Thanks for sharing. Gets me ready for the weekend. LOL…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
rajaman
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-15-2009

Hey maxxuk,

Between you, Da Fingaz and KBProductions (as well as others)there’s a whole lotta great music being produced.  I’m not ashamed to say I’ve been playing your stuff over and over again just to get my creative juices flowing.  But being kind of a newbie to all this, I’ve not even come close to creating this level of music.  But I’m tryin’!!

Perfect smooth jazz-style piece.  The piano is just mellow enough not to overtake the rhythm and the way the sax is introduced - nothing short of spectacular.

I’m curious though...did you start with a pattern or did you program individual voices and drum parts into phrases for each section? 

Thanx and keep ‘em coming.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 07:56 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

Hey Rajaman,

Great praise indeed. I still consider myself a newbie, as there is only one piece I feel is anywhere near finished. ( Listed now on my drop.io as “Finished but needs lyrics & name” ) The rest are just loops that I get very frustrated that I can’t properly start or finish.

As to how did I go about creating this piece, this one started with the piano melody. I’m useless with drums so I searched the MOTIF for a performance with a rythm to match the melody, which had the added bonus of the piano chords and a bass that seemed to suit. I used just a bass note to find some suitable chord patterns that matched ( ie I put a piano bass note of C,F,F#,G,F,D#,F ) and then built the piano chords around that. With a 16 bar loop now in performance mode ( don’t ask which one, I always mean to write down which ones I use, but I always forget !! ) I recorded that to a pattern. Once that was done I felt the background was a still a little empty, and so found a guitar, and messed around with arpeggios of the chords until I found something that sounded ok, and layed that down. With my backing track now pretty complete, I jammed over the top with the piano. Then it struck me that the sound might suit a Sax, and so tried it, and happy that it sounded really nice, I just Jammed the piano and Sax over the pattern loop.

As people have said to me many times, different pieces start different ways. Some start with drums, some with Bass, some with chords, some with a melody. Sometimes while jamming over the top of my tunes I’ll find a hook or other melody that sounds good, but doesn’t fit the song I’m working on, so I’ll go and record it in another pattern quick, and come back to it later and build on it.

I do find it really useful to play around with the performances on the MOTIF, as that usually inspires different melodies and different styles and you can add other sections to the backing as well when you record them to a pattern or song. What I might play to one performance, almost certainly wouldn’t be what you would play to it, so there’s endless possibilities, and I don’t think it can be classed as cheating to use them.

Hope that helps…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 10:30 PM
rajaman
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-15-2009

Maxxuk,

Thanks for sharing your thought processes for creating your musis on the Motif.  I’m looking forward to hearing more of your songs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 12:31 AM
LovemyMotif
Total Posts:  505
Joined  02-17-2009

Maxxuk:

This song is so mellow that I should be the track for a movie.  Kind of a like a person wandering aimlessly and then sitting on a large rock out by the ocean and just meditating.  Great piece of work.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Playing waves
Next Topic:

Struggling through the dark ››