mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLAN Help"

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 12:17 AM
Chezaroo
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-30-2008

I just got my new mLan and i would like specific instructions on its use.  I will be using it on a mac with Cubase Studio 4 in XS VST editor mode. I have viewed the mlan PDF manuals on the Yamaha site and they are comprehensive to the point of being mind numbing.  I just want to now how to use it for my specific application and leave its full potential for those with more patience than my own.  Any help please.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 12:48 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You don’t say what your specific application is, however.

Try this tutorial:

Motif XS VST: A Getting Started Guide

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 06:22 AM
Chezaroo
Joined  03-30-2008

What drivers will I need to install. I am now using the yamaha USB driver and my firmware is 1.10.21 on a Motif XS6

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 01:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

“What drivers will I need to install. I am now using the yamaha USB driver and my firmware is 1.10.21 on a Motif XS6”

We will be happy to help you with what you need to install. Or you can visit the mySoftwreUpates - here on Motifator for quick links to your downloads. Or you can visit the official Yamaha download page for the Motif XS

http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html

You will need to know what computer and computer operating system you are running so you can download the correct packages for your computer type. You will also see details about each operating system updater, and/or driver and/or extension.

It is highly recommended that you read through the information provided before proceeding. Identify the section of the documentation specifically for your computer and computer operating system.

We would be happy to help you here, but we need to know specifically what computer type/operating system (Windows XP, Windows Vista32, Macintosh OSX, etc) that you are running so that we can point you to the correct options.

It would be also helpful to know what version of Cubase Studio 4 you are using as well. Most recent is Cubase Studio 4.5.2
(Steinberg updates are available on the official Steinberg site:
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=882&L=1

You can start by updating your Motif XS’s operating system. The current version is 1.12

Before doing any updating of your Motif XS, please SAVE your current Motif XS data to an ALL data file (.X0A) to your USB drive. This way you have a method to restore your own personal data later.

So the first item you want to look for is Motif XS OS Updater version 1.12
Download this. Unzip it to a USB drive. Follow the instructions - which require you to power up the unit (with your USB drive containing the .PGM file connected) while holding a combination of buttons.

Let us know what computer you are operating and we will walk you through it.

______ Okay, we checked your profile, and you are using a Macintosh:

Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver V1.1.0 (Mac OS X)
Motif XS Editor VST V1.2.0 (Mac OS X)
Motif XS OS UPDATER V1.12
Motif XS Extensions V1.5.0 (Mac OS X)
IEEE1394 Firmware Updater V1.07 *

Take your time and read through the information. If you have a question, don’t guess, post a question. It is really fairly straight forward… let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 06:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

From your other post......

“I downloaded all the drivers and got it up and almost running.  Then i began to get core midi errors, I worked around them to get a project open.  After i had it open the computer started to run at an unacceptable speed. Could the most recent extension updates not be compatible with Studio 4? .  I was apprehensive about going to the mLAN because things where going well with the USB connection and the VST editor.  I will still have plenty of time to return the mLAN to sweetwater if this problem is a matter of to much to soon, I am not sure of who i will apply my growing fear to.  My own inexperience, or this product and maybe the possibility that all is not worked out yet.  I am still thrilled with my Yamaha Stienburg products, this is not a complaint just my thoughts.  Please any input to helping me get a comfortable and functioning rig so that I can settle in, have some fun, and stop busting your balls.”

Details please. I don’t know what Core MIDI Errors you speak of or what they have to do with this....

No need for apprehension… If you were using USB and the VST Editor you were not really using the VST Editor… Without an mLAN16E2 you can only take advantage of just the MIDI functions; only a small part of what the VST EDITOR is capable. With an mLAN16E2 you will be able to take advantage of a larger portion of the capabilities - audio integration. 

Could the most recent extension updates not be compatible with Studio 4That I cannot answer because I still have not gotten verification from you on exactly what version of Cubase Studio 4 you are using. And exactly what you have installed. So the answer is a definite MAYBE… Rest assured with the proper items you will be running this successfully, shortly.

So let’s stay in this thread and take it one step at a time.

Let’s start with your Macintosh. Go to the APPLE in the upper left corner and click on ABOUT THIS MAC… let us know what you are running. Your Version 10.x.x(?), your Processor(?), your Memory(?)

Next when you launch Cubase Studio 4 - it will report the version number in the lower left corner of the splash screen or you can go to Cubase Studio (on the menu bar) > About Cubase Studio 4…
You should have Cubase Studio 4.5.2 Build 274

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 12:57 AM
Chezaroo
Joined  03-30-2008

I am on a imac running lepord, operating version 10.5.5 / processor 2.16 intel core 2 duo/ memory 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.  Cubase 4.5.2 Build 274.  I have additional 2 GB memory that i purchased with the mLAN and have not installed yet.  I will keep my head on and work this out so please be patient.  i downloaded the exact drivers that where recommended before i started to run the mLAN.  please let me know where we should start trouble shooting this problem. thank you for the help. I will be out most of the day tomorrow but i will check the post to see your response and get back as soon as I can.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 11:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Please see this quick setup guide

And let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 07:49 PM
Chezaroo
Joined  03-30-2008

Ok I made those adjustments. I had previously followed the instructions on the Motifator site under XS> articles>http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mac_os_x_mlan_cubase_ai4_studio_manager_motif_xs_editor

these directions had specified setting the XS to mLan but there was no direction to set the IEEE 1394 Driver.  That was not set before I followed your new instructions.  I completed the settings in Cubase and almost want to just turn it on and start trying to make it work. But I will wait for you to instruct me on how to set up the project before I continue.  Thank You again.

I have opened Cubase project template, XS6 VST Editor and all looks good.  Please direct me next to somewhere that explains buss routing and Track return assignment.

Thanx again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 09:34 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The IEEE1394 Driver parameter is new. And is necessitated by the new Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver. This is why it did not appear in the article you referred to - it did not exist then.

The new YSFW Driver requires that you set this new parameter. This is another reason to always stay up-to-date with operating system changes: It allow you to take advantage of new feature and new functions.

“I have opened Cubase project template, XS6 VST Editor and all looks good.  Please direct me next to somewhere that explains buss routing and Track return assignment. ”

We have an article in the SUPPORT section with a tutorial file, Motif XS Editor VST: A Getting Started Guide. You may want to try that to get an idea of how the signal is routed from Cubase MIDI Tracks > to the Motif XS tone generator (which creates the audio) > that audio is then returned to the VST INSTRUMENT audio lane.

Here is a link to PART ONE:
Motif XS Editor: A Getting Started Guide

[ Ignore ]