mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help with new FW drivers N12 + Motif XS6 using Ableton or other DAW’s???"

Posted on: March 03, 2009 @ 05:16 PM
nicethings
Total Posts:  19
Joined  09-18-2008

Hi There

I’ve just updated to the new FW drivers, which informed me in the Install PDF’s that I had to get rid of Mtools....

Now for the life of me I cant get a sound out of my Motif XS6 into Ableton Live under this new driver, whereas it ran along no problem previously, please say its me and my foolishness…

If not, can I change back to the Mlan manager?

Even though it crashed out cubase 5, atleast I had some control…

UPDATE - Its OK, I think I’ve worked it out now…

I have to say these new drivers are worse than the previous Mlan manager… As I havent been able to find a way to have any configuration that let’s me hear the Motif without using a DAW????

I thought they were going to fix that?

Atleast before you could make templates…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2009 @ 05:54 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

“As I havent been able to find a way to have any configuration that let’s me hear the Motif without using a DAW???? “

There is a parameter in the Utility Mode, F2 - I/O called mLAN Monitor Setup.

There are three parameters.

(Stand Alone) , (With PC) (With PC Direct Monitor)

Stand Alone
This should be selected when you are using the MOTIF XS alone or are not using the DAW software even with a computer connected to the MOTIF XS via an IEEE1394 cable. When this is selected, the audio signal of the MOTIF XS will be output directly via the OUTPUT L/MONO and R jacks normally.

With PC
This should be selected when you are using the MOTIF XS as an audio device with the DAW software. When this is selected, the audio signal of the MOTIF XS will be output to the DAW software on a computer via an IEEE1394 cable, merged and mixed with the DAW sound, returned back to the MOTIF XS, then output via the OUTPUT L/MONO and R jacks. Selecting this allows you to apply VST Effects within the DAW software to the MOTIF XS sound.

With PC (DirectMonitor)
This should be selected when recording your keyboard performance to the DAW software on the computer. The audio signal of the MOTIF XS will be output directly via the OUTPUT L/MONO and R jacks with the audio signal sent from the DAW software via an IEEE1394 cable. Keep in mind that the Rec Monitor of the DAW software should be set to “off” in order to prevent “double” sound from occurring.

note:  When “with PC” is selected, there may be a short delay
between when you play the keyboard and when you hear the
resulting sound.

note: Set this parameter to “stand alone” when the MOTIF XS is not connected to an external device via an IEEE1394 cable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2009 @ 08:10 AM
nicethings
Joined  09-18-2008

Thanks for the reply, but using analogue jacks to hear a keyboard which has digital audio connectivity with 16 outputs, doesent make sense to me?…

Why did I bother buying a £260 MY16E card if I have to use jack leads all the time?

The real question is; can I get my Moitf XS to make a sound without going back to analogue leads or having to open a DAW every time I want to hear it?

I hope there can be, otherwise its a bit of a con, isnt it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2009 @ 11:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“Thanks for the reply, but using analogue jacks to hear a keyboard which has digital audio connectivity with 16 outputs, doesent make sense to me?…

Why did I bother buying a £260 MY16E card if I have to use jack leads all the time?

The real question is; can I get my Moitf XS to make a sound without going back to analogue leads or having to open a DAW every time I want to hear it?

I hope there can be, otherwise its a bit of a con, isnt it?”

I’m not at all sure what you are talking about here. MY16E??? what is that? We hope you mean you have an mLAN16E2 if you have an XS otherwise it is no wonder you are having an issue.

The MY16mLAN is an expansion card for Yamaha digital mixers.
The mLAN16E is an expansion card for the ES series synthesizers

So maybe that is just a typo, right. You do have an mLAN16E2.

The mLAN16E2 turns your Motif XS into your soundcard. Think of the soundcard in your computer (small PCI board probably)… with speakers connected to it.

The mLAN16E2 talks the place of that for both MIDI and AUDIO going into and back out of your computer.

And, yes, you have to connect the Motif XS to a pair of speakers to hear it. It is your soundcard. The way it outputs audio to speakers is via regular analog cables. That has not changed.

You can certainly play your Motif XS whether your computer is on or off. That has not changed. But you must connect the Left and Right outputs on the back panel to some kind of sound system. Or use headphones (they are available, that has not changed).

We think you are not understanding what is on offer. The 16 audio bus outputs allows you to deliver audio to Cubase from your Motif XS and/or from signals plugged into the AD INPUTS. In order to hear your audio the signal is routed to the soundcard (mLAN16E2) which routes it to the L&R;outputs of the XS - which you connect to speakers.

Image Attachments
mLANRouting.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 12:37 AM
nicethings
Joined  09-18-2008

Sorry I made two mistakes…

I actually meant to write ‘mLAN16E2’, also I forgot to mention its connectect up to a Yamaha N12 mixer, and since I upgraded the new FW drivers the mLan manager and its graphic patchbay are now un-usable (infact, it wont let you have them on the same system).

Thats why I asked the previous question, as I dont fancy un-pluging my mackies everytime I dont wont to use a DAW, just to hear the Motif XS, or going back to pluging jacks into a digital mixer thats connected to a keyboard with a digital audio output card… as I feel it defeats the purpose…

Can I hear my Motif XS without using Jacks?

Hope this makes a little more sense

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ YSFW vs AI
Next Topic:

Upgraded to the latest firmware -> XS does not boot anymore ››