mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Bad Mister Help!!!  Can I sync. arp. tempo to Cubase with XS VST editor"

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 10:40 AM
Chezaroo
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-30-2008

I am using the VST editor with Cubase Studio 4 and so far things are working out. I’m not sure how or why but the results are very satisfying.  However when I am In editor mode I am unable to adjust the tempo of arpps. when I preview them, and the display on the XS says auto and will not let me make adjustments there either.  Am I missing something or is it not possible to adjust tempo and record arp midi data to a track in Cubase in VST editor mode. 

Please help: Fred Freda

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 11:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When working with Motif XS and an external sequencer (when it is natural to have the XS MIDI SYNC = either “auto” or “MIDI") the TEMPO is always derived from the external sequencer.

This means that the external sequencers clock will be responsible for the tempo. For years, Yamaha has tried to communicate this to software developers (slowly but surely they’ve started to react): A hardware-based arpeggio will need to follow the clock of the external master MIDI clock. Many software sequencers did not (and some still do not) send MIDI clock when their transport is stopped.

If you have stayed current with your updates on Cubase Studio 4, you will find a fairly recent parameter added to it:

Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP… > MIDI CLOCK OUT > check the option that offers to Send Clock when Stopped. This will allow Cubase Studio 4.5.x to send Clock OUT via MIDI when the transport is stopped… you do have to press play at least once however, for the tempo to be registered to external devices. (Of course, you should also make sure you are sending MIDI CLOCK OUT to the Motif XS, on Port 1, as the DESTINATION)

Actually, the “auto” setting in the Motif XS, will allow the XS to derive clock from an external source, even if the DAW does not “Send Clock when Stopped” - but the only thing is you have to at least start the DAW transport at least once so the XS can get that tempo information… the XS will automatically reference the last incoming tempo (whether the transport is running or not).

The reason this was added (and is necessary) is so that you can try out the arpeggio before engaging record. Please remember to reset the arpeggio before actually executing any RECORDING (so that it starts from the top of the phrase). You ‘reset’ the arpeggio by quickly turning the ARP ON/OFF button OFF then back ON.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 12:12 PM
Chezaroo
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-30-2008

Thank You.
Up till just now I have not been a blogger for reasons of my own, mostly due to early experience.  Your reply was beyond prompt, and your solution hit it on the screws, WOW.  It works and my satisfaction and gratitude with these products from Yamaha and Steinberg is intact and continues to grow.  Thank you again. 

Freddo

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ AKAI -> MOTIF XS, Chickensys
Next Topic:

Can’t Record Audio if VST Editor is running! ››