mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "It’s the Size that Matters!"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 06:22 PM
dkeyman
Total Posts:  76
Joined  01-20-2009

SIZE DOES MATTER (Screen size of course)

While Yamaha, Roland and Korg are trying to out-do each other with larger and more expensive displays on their keyboards, it’s seems Yamaha could take one easy step to winning that race… Since the MOTIF XS runs on the Linux platform, how much of a stretch would it be to add a VGA out to a future version of the Motif?  Or better yet, maybe this could be accessed via the M-lan expansion slot on our current models?

Not since my old Roland S-550 (yea I’m pretty old)do I remember seeing a video out on any sampling keyboard or workstation...(note: I almost made the misake of buying a Fantom G only because of the big, beautiful screen)!

I know I’m being over simplistic about this and the folks in Japan must have considered this at some point as well. Must be a reason they have not done it?

Anyway, the ability to hook up my 22” montitor and see everything on the Motif’s display clearly and without squinting or reaching for my “cheeters” would be like a gift from God.

Thanks for reading and keep up the great work!

DKeyman

P.S. Bad Mister, you work way too hard!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
acruzer205
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-26-2009

I would LOVE that !!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 09:30 PM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

I don’t care about the screen size, I do care about the functionality it provides.

In my opinion, the larger XS screen (compared to the ES) is not a “great” advantage. I worked faster with the ES since the operating system was more responsive.

I can already see my XS in my big PC monitor, thanks to the VST or Studio Manager editor.

What I can’t do is organize my samples, performances, or even voices in a friendly way. The “save all, load single” thing simply doesn’t work for me, I find it absolutely uninspirational and uncomfortable. I really hate this part of the Motifs (along some other basic lacking features).

Today I created a nice voice, while I had all the samples and voices of the new expansions loaded. It uses custom samples. I want to save it, what do I have to do? save a file of 380 megabyte to preserve only one voice? It’s absurd.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 01:05 AM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

What do you mean? Cant you save a single voice?

File mode, set type to voice, press sf1.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 08:18 AM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

No, you can’t save a single unit of anything. It’t the way it works…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
bobbybland
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  01-04-2008

I actually think YAMAHA is on to something better like moving away from OLD tired hardware and stepping into a new generation of Vsti products.. Their newest editor seems to be an indication.

I’m not sure why on earth you would want them to do what Roland did many moons ago.Yamaha seems to concentrate on sounds,thank GOD!

Besides I can hook up the editor to my 40inch LCD, THATS A NICE SIGHT to see.. :] Much better then a dedicated VGA thats just going to pull time and resources away from the music!

People need to step away from the board and use a daw! So sick of these hardware/integration idea’s,you know like I know the hardware in a modern cpu,is MUCH more powerful!!!

+1 for Yamaha stepping into the future..

Roland and Korg are still on midi editors,lets see them do mlan over firewire.. ???  :]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 02:37 PM
dkeyman
Joined  01-20-2009

Hmmm? Interesting replys...almost got off topic for a minute, but you brought it back to the issue of a VGA out.

I have used the Editor both stand-alone and as a VST and it’s good.  But my point is, if you did not want to use a computer while writing (dont forget, Yamaha is in the Synthesizer Hardware business) and liked using the on-board sequencer of the Motif, wouldn’t it be better to have a larger monitor?  A lot of programming went into the sequencer section on the Motif series and I’m sure Yamaha did not intend all it’s customers to use a software sequencer instead of the powerful on-board sequencer.  How many posts have you read about the difficulty in setting up the editor, transfering data, syncing arpeggios, etc.? 

Seems like a VGA out would cost less and use less on-board processing power “for the music”, than a large color screen.

Maybe only a few of us over 40 can appreciate what I’m saying...but I believe there are quite a few of us out there...?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s comments!

Dkeyman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 02:54 PM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

I can appreciate what your offering,but truth be told if that’s what your after with YAMAHA and their next board,I doubt it will happen for the statements named above.

They are all about the next best thing.You can be sure the screen will be bigger in the next board,but VGA when they own Steinberg’s Cubase?
Certainly Steinberg does computing,Cubase is another potential product being sold to a person who can obviously afford it,if they purchased an XS,ANYWAYS this will require computers.Once working it’s amazing,so troubleshooting will just have to happen,thats why Bad Mister is so beloved around here,he knows practically everything about the connections,and it’s also why he has 1,000,000 posts..
Roland and Cakewalk are going to try to out do them with a sort of next generation vsti as well,you can bet that.

Korg who already makes Vsti’s will do the same.

I can appreciate your thought’s,but realistically speaking (I’m a realist) it’s not likely.I don’t think it requires being over 40 to understand this..

The majority of musicians/better yet live bait for sales/profit/corporate @ Guitar center,Sweetwater or major sale workhorses that push these products etc.know what the target base are into,it’s fast technology,it’s bigger and better,and if you haven’t noticed > There’s a slight economic pickle we’re in as well worldwide..They are corporate money makers who know how to flip a coin into more coins.. They realize Vsti’s are more practical as the majority of the named target base are into that,and they are cheaper to build which will gross more profits.

Good luck with the VGA..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 03:01 PM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

Sorry if this may seem of topic,but LOOK at what has happened in the audio recording industry.. At one point a console was mandatory when recording, it’s not anymore.

Many major studios have closed and are closing due to technology and economic times.
The truth is,it’s a different world then it was yesterday.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 03:04 PM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

Korg has had their implementation of M3 in VSTi form for a long time. There is a firewire board that can be installed in the M3 which provides the same functionality as the new mlan16e2 card.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 03:29 PM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

dorremifasol,
I see, so this plays into my major point then,should have gave them credit too.Sorry I must have missed that from Korg.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 04:04 PM
dkeyman
Joined  01-20-2009

Let’s not forget, Cubase is included FREE with every new keyboard Yamaha sells. Granted the AI version does not do everything the full version does, but it’s probably more powerful than most users will ever need.  This is done primarily because they HAVE to stay compatible/competitive with the software industry that continues to expand...not to replace the hardware they produce, that’s what Yamaha is, a music instrument manufacturer.

So, your idea that Yamaha wants to sell software instead of hardware doesn’t hold a lot of water.  We don’t need to buy Cubase since it is included free with every Motif XS.

I think there is a renewed interest in hardware synths and workstations again that started about 5-10 years ago.  Take a look at what’s on the market now, Fantom, M3, Moog Voyager, Dave Smith Prophet ‘08, Nord Wave, Access Virus, etc.  all new, hardware synths.  All are very popular and selling well.

I have more VST instruments and sample libraries than I can even remember or have time to sort through...and I use them every day.  But the imdediacy of a keyboard workstation to quickly lay down ideas 10 seconds after powering on cannot be denied.  Also, the ability to easily use VST’s live just isn’t there yet.  There are options, but why wait for a computer to boot up, load your software and hope your system can load or stream sample data fast enough to keep up with a live performance.  Oh yea, you have to hook up a MONITOR too, unless you can find a fast enough laptop.

Now I’m getting off topic!

Anyway, I’m not holding my breath or anything for a VGA output...just kinda wish I could see the screen better, even though it is Miles ahead of the ES.

The Motif XS, could be considered perfect by some, with only minor software upgrades needed from time to time.  But there is a life span to eveything and you can be sure there is a NEW design on the drawing board allready. The world economy may slow the development or delay the “scheduled” release of new products, but I can almost guarentee new keyboards from the big 3-4 are in the works.

I’m also a business owner and don’t need to be reminded of the “slight economic pickle” we are expierencing right now.  I don’t expect any big spending or R&D;by companies for some time to come.

I also want to thank Bad Mister for all his support to us Motif users.  It’s rare to see this kinda of support and interest from the manufacturer and I hope Yamaha compensates him for the hours and hours he must spend reading and responding to our silly comments and questions.

Dkeyman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 04:17 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Well....I’m with you DonkeyMan. I would love to be able to see the screen on a larger scale.

Hell - without my specs. (which I cleverly forgot today), I can hardly read your forum name!

Regards,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 04:55 PM
dkeyman
Joined  01-20-2009

Thanks bootlegs, that’s all I was trying to get across:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 05:14 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Ha - excellent!

Actually, I know this is obvious but I find the screen is far more legible when masked from the ambient light as much as poss. Just try this with a piece of card or the like to see whether you agree. You know how some high-end monitors have a ‘cowl’ for this very purpose?

Additionally, i believe a huge improvement would be the ability to raise the screen proud of the panel. If it were somehow hinged along the edge nearest the buttons and via a simple push-catch could be raised like opening a door. That extra (say) 30 degrees makes all the diference unless I am actually hovering over the board. I believe the (sorry to use expletives) Korg M3 does this.

I am merely thinking out loud guys so I shall be entirely unsurprised should Yamaha’s R & D department not be calling me for the AutoCAD drawings tomorrow morning!.

Best,

B

PS I keep thinking of the old Overhead Projector (only my shrink knows why) as though something in that technology would allow one to see the ‘bigger picture’.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 05:42 PM
dkeyman
Joined  01-20-2009

Funny you say that, as I had a simular thought of “reflecting” the screen off a mirror onto a larger surface (kinda like a rear projection TV).  Must reflect our age?

I’ll try to cut out more ambient light...I also have an old Ultimate Supports keyboard stand that I used once on stage which tilts to any angle.  Maybe I can just tilt the whole keyboard a little and get a more direct view of the screen…

Great ideas, Thanks!

Dkeyman

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Just a thought...DIMMS
Next Topic:

XS General MIDI ››