mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arp Timings"

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 11:56 AM
pulse
Total Posts:  42
Joined  08-29-2007

Hi All,

I’m having a bit of a weird problem (with my XS). I recorded a drum arp (just a regular stock arp) to a phrase in pattern mode, something like 8 measures long.

When I load the pattern up and solo the track it sounds perfectly in sync with the metronome click, lovely job.
Once I start mucking around with the other tracks in the pattern a noticable delay is introduced in the drum pattern between the loop point (between the end of measure 8 and the start of measure 1)

I thought I’d seen people on the forum a while ago with metronome timing issues and just wondered if there was something I had missed.

Not only that, when I’m creating new patterns I seem to be having to adjust the play effects to get the drum track right on the metronome click, maybe shifting it forward or back a few clicks. Uber Confused and I’m spending more time trying to find work arounds with the XS at the moment than I am making music :-( BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Any ideas anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 03:18 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Well, what you describe is not typical or how it should work. Unfortunately, there are not enough details in the process you used to 1) create the data or 2) what “mucking around with the other tracks...” means.

If you can provide some details that would help. Obviously it is possible to offset the timing of any track… if your “mucking around” has to do with Play Effects etc., this would be quite a normal thing. So if you can, please provide details

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Hi B_M

Yup, I can try and be more specific.
I’ve created a pattern, I’ve then selected track (3) and hit record. Then gone into the arp tab and selected the arp 5322, using 034 Acid Kit.

Its sitting in track 3. I hit the record button, switch off loop, switch off quantise, arm the sequencer so it starts recording when I hit the key.

The arp is then switched on with hold enabled with change timing set to ‘measure’. So then I hit a key. Wait 8 measures @ 124bpm and then I have my basic phrase. If I pretend to be happy with it, then I get a slightly unsteady drum phrase. What I’ve then been doing is using play effects on the bass phrase (for example) to get in time with the drums.

The metronome seems to be a little bit ahead of the actual kit playing. So much so, if you do switch loop on and go through the same recording process you get a slightly mismatched superimposed recording and lots of interesting phasing going on and a bit of racket after 5 or 6 iterations.

Is that any clearer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 12:28 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No… not at all. Please try again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 03:29 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

D’OH!! - I’m not very good at explaining this clearly. I could use glove puppets?? ;-)

1)I take a blank pattern and select a drum voice

2)I record 4 or 8 bars of drums using a preset arp with no quantise.
When I play it back, the drums are not exactly in sync with the metronome click. Sometimes there is even a slight delay at the loop point.

3)I have to compensate every other track with play effects (clock shift) if I want them to be in time with the drums.

Step 1 is how I “create the data” and step 3 is me “mucking around” with the other tracks to get them in sync.

I know this seems a weird one, and it’s really frustrating. I haven’t totally ruled out user error, because that’s extremely likely! However, some line of fault finding questions or something would be really helpful to rule out the obvious stuff.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 04:20 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

After you have recorded the ARP, and before you do anything else, go into event edit mode and look at the data you recorded.

Does it start in the right place, or were you fractionally late starting the ARP off when you began the recording? If your first event is recorded a few clock ticks later than the beat, then you would get out of sync and you’d probably notice a little ‘skip’ when the loop point arrived.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 05:40 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Thanks DF,

I’m thinking that arming the sequencer so recording starts the second you hit any key should eliminate this? Thats what I thought anyway :-)

I’ll check the data, I’m pretty sure you’ll see the offset in there.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2009 @ 04:35 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

I don’t use the auto-trigger-on-key feature so I’m not sure if it always gets it right or not. I usually record into a longer section than I need and then correct timings with ‘shift clock’ in Job mode and copy events to the right place as needed.

Hopefully that clock offset is what’s causing your problem - if so, it’s easy to work around =)

Df

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
_MusicMan_
Total Posts:  86
Joined  11-13-2008

Make sure the sequenser starts at 001:01:000 before you start recording.
Hit ‘Locate Home’ button.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Protools 8 OSX midnam
Next Topic:

FIrmware install ››