mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Wireless internet connection blocked by local network connection for XS"

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 07:42 PM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

Hi everyone,

got a question for anyone thats got an answer for how to keep both wireless internet connection and the local network connection needed to access the motif XS files together. I can have either one or the other not both together because the local network connection blocks the wireless for internet...any ideas?

I already did a setup through the network connection wizard and specified uses of each connection type but to no success…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 09:00 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Use a different subnet for each connection (eg 10.0.0.0/8 and 192.168.1.0/24) and it will work from a networking point-of-view.

However, wireless networking interferes with mLan connections rather badly. We had to switch off the wireless interface on any machine with an mLan connection in order that the mLan work correctly.

Actually, you don’t need 2 network interfaces (Wireless and Wired).. On a private local network (as above examples) you can just use a wired ethernet connection plus a switch/hub and everything should work.

Purely for example: -

Gateway(Router)192.168.0.1
XS ........................192.168.0.2
PC ........................192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask...255.255.255.0

Regards,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 11:23 PM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

I’m using a wireless router/switch for my XS8 and 3 PC’s connected to the Internet. You wouldn’t need a subnet in this configuration. My Internet provider is Cable service, so I have XS/PC->Router/Switch->Cable Modem. 

The XS and PC are both getting DHCP addresses from my router and you can share files over the LAN.

You can, in theory have both wireless and wired NIC connections on the same PC. It becomes complicated if your wireless NIC is connecting to a provider and binding a public/routable IP.  In which case, you have to make the PC route between the two networks…

How does your PC get to the Internet provider?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 11:52 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

That’s interesting tbone.

Are you using wireless networking on the mlan equipped PCs with no probems? Never managed to get that to work here.

B

Nice photo btw - Is that the back of your head or is it the front and you’ve got a Sinatra ‘One for my Baby’ thing going on with the white hat?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 12:23 AM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009
boulez - 28 February 2009 11:52 PM

That’s interesting tbone.

Are you using wireless networking on the mlan equipped PCs with no probems? Never managed to get that to work here.

No. My XS is wired to my primary router, as is my music PC.

I feed a secondary router which connects 2 other PC’s and our entertainment set-top boxes. But I am not using wireless on my Cubase PC system. The CB system get’s Internet from the router-> Cable modem. I am connecting wireless from my laptop. I was aware that Yamaha did not recommend wireless and mLAN at the same time.

Cmorganis advised (another thread) that he’s connected to his PC from the XS with a crossover cable.  That in of itself would allow the transfer of data files, but it sounded as if he also has a wireless NIC on the PC and is not getting them working together at the same time.

So, it is recommended that wireless networking is “disabled” while you are producing music in Cubase with mLAN.  Yamaha_US had mentioned that as a known issue some time ago.

The photo is not of me.  I think it’s a stock MSN picture. I’m old enough to remember all of Sinatra’s stuff, but would likely claim it to resemble Michael Buble in this forum…

cheers,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 11:45 PM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

Hi,

I’ll try some of the suggestions but to tell the truth I’ve got no issues with my wireless connection and mlan so far…

It’s just that when I enter my browser even though it seems it’s online -when my local connection is activated- the browser doesn’t load the page....somehow the local connection is blocking internet access…

My room is away from the router or else i would simply set-up a network from pc to xs wired through the router and the same with my internet connection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2009 @ 12:44 AM
tbone
Joined  02-15-2009

sounds a little like a potential routing issue to me.

can you tell me more about your configuration?  Can I assume that:

1. you have a static IP address on the XS
(192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0)
2. You get an IP on your PC from your wireless router, via DHCP?
What IP address range are you assigning to your internal LAN?
3. You have a crossover cable connect the XS to your PC NIC

If you open a CMD box and type IPCONFIG /ALL you can show your IP interfaces. Can you pipe that into a file for me and post?

To do that, type “ipconfig /all >> myconfig.txt”
this will pipe the output into a file called myconfig.txt in the directory where your CMD prompt opened.

Not sure how you disable the XS segment of the network, but assume you pull out the RJ45 cable… if so, plug it in and power the Motif to try and create the issue you describe…

From the CMD prompt, pipe the following to capture the route.
“tracert http://www.motifator.com >> myroute.txt”

(edit: the above address get’s mangled by the forum software, so type “tracert” leave a space and any www address and the redirect >> filename.ext)

My thinking is that you might have a routing issue on the PC with the way you have it setup.  Just a hunch. Meaning, when your PC sees the two interfaces (wireless/wired) it takes the preferred route (wired) and will not resolve the URL to the internet.

The output of the above may offer some clues to the path/route to resolve an address.

hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]