mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie: Unable to create my own arpeggio"

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
nisthana
Total Posts:  22
Joined  03-25-2006

I followed steps in the XS DVD to create my own arpeggion in pattern mode but it didnt work for me. Here is what I did
1. Created a simple 2 measure bass phrase on Track 1 Section A
2. Called Put Track to Arp
3. Used Track 1 only and used “Original notes”
4. Pressed enter
5. Back to the pattern, I switched on Arpeggio button.

It played some weired pattern (its a preset I think) instead of what I played. Am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to select any special voice (such as mega voice) to be able to do this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 06:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“1. Created a simple 2 measure bass phrase on Track 1 Section A
4. Pressed enter
5. Back to the pattern, I switched on Arpeggio button.”

Missing from your post are critical parameters that you must set in the PUT TRACK TO ARPEGGIO dialog box, this probably has something to do with your lack of success.

Check the following steps:

1) Create a simple (or complex) 2 measure bass phrase on Track 1/Section A

2) Press [JOB] > [F5] TRACK > Select JOB 07: “Put Track to Arpeggio”

3) Set the dialog box up so that:
SECTION = A
Measure Range = 001-003 (a range of 001-003 will be two measures inclusive).
Target ARP NO. = 001
Cursor Down and under ARP TRACK 1 set it to “ORG NOTES”
Cursor Up and set the ORIGINAL NOTE = ??

You must set the ORIGINAL NOTE parameter to indicate what key, when pressed will recall the original notes of the pattern.

If, for example, your bass line was in the KEY of Bb, you may want to set it to “Bb1” as the ORIGINAL KEY. This means when that note is triggered, the bass line notes you played in the original Pattern will play… and if you Play “Bb2” the bassline will be up and octave… and if you Play “C2” the bassline will play in the key of C.... and so on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 09:37 PM
nisthana
Joined  03-25-2006
Bad_Mister - 28 February 2009 06:44 PM

“1. Created a simple 2 measure bass phrase on Track 1 Section A
4. Pressed enter
5. Back to the pattern, I switched on Arpeggio button.”

Missing from your post are critical parameters that you must set in the PUT TRACK TO ARPEGGIO dialog box, this probably has something to do with your lack of success.

Check the following steps:

1) Create a simple (or complex) 2 measure bass phrase on Track 1/Section A

2) Press [JOB] > [F5] TRACK > Select JOB 07: “Put Track to Arpeggio”

3) Set the dialog box up so that:
SECTION = A
Measure Range = 001-003 (a range of 001-003 will be two measures inclusive).
Target ARP NO. = 001
Cursor Down and under ARP TRACK 1 set it to “ORG NOTES”
Cursor Up and set the ORIGINAL NOTE = ??

You must set the ORIGINAL NOTE parameter to indicate what key, when pressed will recall the original notes of the pattern.

If, for example, your bass line was in the KEY of Bb, you may want to set it to “Bb1” as the ORIGINAL KEY. This means when that note is triggered, the bass line notes you played in the original Pattern will play… and if you Play “Bb2” the bassline will be up and octave… and if you Play “C2” the bassline will play in the key of C.... and so on.

I tried but it didnt work. Here are the params on my screen.
1. Section - A
2. Measure 001-004
3. ARP Category
3.1 Main - Bass
3.2 Sub -
3.2 Arp No. - 001
3.2 Original Notes Root - A 1
4. Arp Tr 1
4.1 Track - 01
4.2 ConvertType = org notes
5. ARP Tr 2, ARP Tr 3, ARP Tr 4 are off

Do the notes and order of notes matter? I played Key of A and went down the scale and then came up back to A. (A,G#,E,D,G#,A). Does the instrument I selected (Groove Acoustic AF1) matter?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 04:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You are not explaining yourself well.
What does it didn’t work mean exactly?
What are you expecting to happen?
Why when I tell you to set the measure range 001-003 for a two measure phrase do you set it for 001-004?
How are you assigning the USER ARP to a VOICE or a PART.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 05:57 AM
nisthana
Joined  03-25-2006

I apologise for not being clear. I just brought the keyboard and am going through the World of XS DVD. In Chapter 27 it explains how to create your own arpeggio. I am trying to repeat those steps (exactly as they are on the DVD) on my keyboard.
>> What does it didn’t work mean exactly? What are you expecting to happen?

Since I recorded a sequence of bass notes, I want to be able to play at different places on the keyboard and expect the notes will transpose themselves when I convert them to arp. Same as in the DVD where the guy recorded notes in one key and then he can play it all over the keyboard and notes change automatically.

>> Why when I tell you to set the measure range 001-003 for a two measure phrase do you set it for 001-004?

Oh I thought since I recorded a 2 measure phrase and you told me to use 001-003, 001-004 is also good. I tried 001-003 first and then it didnt do what I was expecting it to do so I tried 001-003. I will retry with 003

>>How are you assigning the USER ARP to a VOICE or a PART.

Ok I am not sure what you mean here :-(( I was trying to follow the DVD and it doesnt talk about assigning ARP to VOICE or PART. I am in pattern mode so how do I do this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 07:43 PM
nisthana
Joined  03-25-2006

Ok I figured it out. I need to assign the new ARP to the voice, or use Voice With ARP feature and select my newly created ARP. I guess the DVD assumes that we know all this. Thanks bad_mister for all the help and for pointing out the last part which is what I was missing

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Muse Receptor with Motif??
Next Topic:

USB KEYBOARD AND USB FLASH DISK together with hub ››