mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "cannot get mac pro to recognize midi input"

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 10:57 AM
keystrike
Total Posts:  61
Joined  01-25-2008

I have mac pro, mac os x 10.5.6. I have motif xs8 connected via usb (the “to host” USB connector on motif). The motif is in voice mode. But I cannot get the Mac to recognize the MIDI input.

The motif utility (control - MIDI) settings are:

basic rec ch: off
keyboard transmit ch: 1
device number: all
midi in/out: MIDI
midi sync: auto
clock out: off
sequencer control: off
MTC start offset: all 0
bank select:off
program change: off
local control: off
receive bulk: protect
controller reset: reset
bulk dump interval: 0 ,ms

In the mac, applications>utilities>audio midi setup, tab MIDI devices, I added a configuration, and set it up as:
transmits: 1,2,..., 16 all checked. No “transmits” check box selected. 
receives: nothing selected.
features: check “general midi” box, system exclusive id: 1,
ports: port 1, connectors: MIDI in: 0, MIDI out: 1

the keyboard icon has an up arrow. When I select the icon, click “test setup” and play the motif, the up arrow should be highlighted. It is not, which means it is not receiving the MIDI signal.

Also, the mac default configuration does not get the midi signal.

Probably I’m missing something crucial. The mac on-line help says:"You can add icons for your devices, and connect them to the icon for your midi interface. “ This seems to mean I should have two icons, one for the device (motif) and one for the MIDI interface. Where do I get this interface?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 11:17 AM
dream2u2@yahoo.com
Total Posts:  35
Joined  12-30-2008

the mac needs a midi interface with audio capabilities..it wont recognize a usb device..u need to purchase a midi interface so that the midi notes r channeled to the mac and if u r gonna record the motif or vocals u need the interface to be able to handle audio thru it to…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 12:18 PM
keystrike
Total Posts:  61
Joined  01-25-2008

Thanks. I figured out I needed a driver (duh). The USB driver did not seem to be available for my OS version, so I downloaded the mLan driver, and now it works fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 12:19 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Dream2much....

Re the mac needs a midi interface with audio capabilities..it wont recognize a usb device..

This is simply not correct. The XS works correctly connected direcly via USB to a MacPro.

Keystrike:
The USB conection from the XS is for Midi (not Audio) and the reason it is not working is because your Midi setting in the XS utility should be set to USB. (not Midi which is for the 5 Pin DIn on the back of the XS).

You can make an analogue out connction for the audio from the L&R;1/4’ jacks on the XS. Just use a Y cable to a 3.5mm stereo jack to the Line-In on the MacPro and choose Built In (line in) as your ASIO device. ....or better still, get an audio interface for better latency.

Just noticed you have an XS8 so use the AI driver (peer to peer mLan driver) for both Audio (16 out/ 6 in) and Midi over firewire. Choose mLan in the XS utility

You should also download the
Steinberg DAW extensions 1.41
VST Editor for Motif XS

Good luck,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 05:02 PM
wilkerd1
Total Posts:  7
Joined  11-09-2007

Hello all. I am having a similar issue with my MOTIF XS6 not being recognized properly with Leopard 10.5.6 running on a MBP. I installed latest USB-MIDI driver downloaded from Yamaha’s web site. I noticed they state the USB-MIDI driver only supports to Leopard 10.5.4. Since switching over to Leopard 10.5.6/DP6, I can no longer get my XS to work as it did before with Tiger/DP5.x.

When I launch AMS, the MOTIF icon is displayed, and I can click “Test Midi...” in AMS and see MIDI coming to/from my MBP. Likewise, I can launch DP and see MIDI traffic in MIDI Monitor also. BUT...the rub is I can’t get the MOTIF to show up in DP as a MIDI source like it used to. While trying to troubleshoot, I went back to AMS, created a new external device, set it’s properties to the MOTIF, and connected the MOTIF Interface icon created by the driver to the new “External Device” icon I created.  Then relaunched DP, and the one I created shows up, but not the MOTIF interface. I select it as the MIDI source in DP, MIDI Monitor lights twinkle, and MIDI data records, but I get no sounds triggered on playback. Weird.

I’m also noticing other weirdness with another MIDI devices and 10.5.6: my Alesis USB Percussion Controller. I can’t seem to connect it to Port 3 on the MOTIF interface in AMS (like I did with my Korg Karma), it doesn’t show up in DP 6 as a MIDI source for a MIDI track either, but *does* show traffic in AMS and in DP’s MIDI Monitor. I noticed also at one point, I was tapping the percussion controller and MOTIF sounds were being triggered? The two devices weren’t connected in AMS on Port 3 (like I used to do my Karma). What is that all about? MIDI Channel conflict issue?

btw...I am set on the XS6 to record on computer (SEQ SETUP->Quick->Option 3), and I’ve tried the whole shutdown/restart thing (what feels like) half a dozen times with no luck.

Suffice it to say it’s weird behavior I’ve not seen with my rig before until now. I’m completely hosed and confused. My USB-MIDI setup worked flawlessly before on my old Tiger/DP 5.x setup. I’m ready to get back to producing music, and not wrestling these goofy integration issues.

Any help with this would be ****greatly**** appreciated. Please let me know what additional information you need from me to assist me through this.

Thanks! =0)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m running a MacBookPro with 10.5.6 and the USB-MIDI driver without any problem - so let’s state that at the front of this.

First, go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES, find the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver icon and launch the Control Panel. you should see your Yamaha Motif XS(x) as the Device Name. There are three panels in the center panel you should see a flashing number for each PORT that is connected to an active device.

Port 1 should be flashing because the Motif XS uses this to communicate normal MIDI performance data.
Port 3 may be flashing if you have something connected to the MIDI IN jack on the back panel of your Motif XS. If it is not flashing make sure that the device is connected OUT to this IN.

You should be looking at Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver Ver. 1.1.1

On your Motif XS
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Make sure your MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Select Digital Performer as your DAW TYPE
Then press [STORE] to lock this in.

Image Attachments
Mac_USBMIDI.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Yep, 10.5.6 is burning red hot for me as well. Ssssmokin’…

and the one I created shows up, but not the MOTIF interface

The purpose for connecting the Motif XS Device to the USB-MIDI Driver in AMS is so that your DAW will ‘see’ the Keyboard and not the driver. That is, that the MIDI will be properly ported to the XS. And, so the External Device you created (which represents your keyboard), will be displayed and not the USB-MIDI Driver.

my Alesis USB Percussion Controller. I can’t seem to connect it to Port 3 on the MOTIF interface in AMS

I am not understanding why you would want to do that in AMS. Again, unfamiliar with DP but, in Logic, if the Alesis is also connected to the MBP via USB, the XS would respond to it. Within Logic, I would assign the Alesis to Port 3 and I’m making an uneducated guess that the same is true in DP…
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 12:11 PM
wilkerd1
Joined  11-09-2007

Awesome guys...Thanks for the responses! It pleases me to know that others are doing ok on 10.5.6. That whole notion, “things not working because of software patch level incompatibility”, was making me a little nervous. ;0)

As an update:

* Installed the mLan driver set last night (based on keystrike’s post),
* Rebooted
* Reset/verified AMS
* Finally got DP to recognize the XS and record MIDI data
* Lastly, play back w/ sounding of the XS tones.

WHEW! This was driving me nuts. I had everything working like butter prior to my upgrade. Now it’s right back where I had it.

@ Bad_Mister - In regard to the screen cap you posted of the MIDI patch tool. Is this a software based MIDI routing/patching/? tool of sorts, or is it simply an activity monitoring tool for troubleshooting? ...perhaps both? Could you explain a little about how it works, or point me to some documentation to read more on that program and how to use it proper? 

Again, I absolutely appreciate the detailed responses! I’m glad this site and forum are here. That info (along with all the other great questions I read here) will help me understand my XS better. I’m going to print this thread and put it in my personal FAQ book to capture the information. There is still so much to learn about my XS, but it’s cool: that’s part of the fun. I must say this: XS = ♥

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 01:31 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Great! Well, I didn’t know you had MLAN! For anyone with MLAN, that certainly would be the way to go instead of USB…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 02:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

As stated above, if you are using firewire/mLAN then there is no reason to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver - as the firewire/mLAN connection takes care of both MIDI and AUDIO.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 03:11 PM
mo_man
Total Posts:  113
Joined  03-25-2009

I think you meant “there is no reason to”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2009 @ 05:23 PM
wilkerd1
Joined  11-09-2007

Yea I’m really excited to have my rig back online. My work load was starting to pile up and my toys weren’t working. Avoiding that scenario again in 3...2...LOL!

About that Yamaha patch tool - the one in the screen cap in Bad Mister’s post above. I’ve loaded it once before, tinkered with it for a few minutes, and get it (sort of), but I sort of don’t too - I know that sounds weird. Are there any docs for that tool? Where can I get/read them?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Studio Manager
Next Topic:

different volume levels in songs ››