mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Studio Manager"

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 10:24 AM
pulse
Total Posts:  42
Joined  08-29-2007

Hi all,

I’m just trying to get a half reliable setup with my PC and the XS7 using AI 4.5.2, Studio Manager etc. via USB.

I’ve gone through the quick setup article and have got most of it working after installing Studio Manager 2.3.0, XS Editor VST 1.2.0, Steinberg Extensions 1.4.1.

The only problem I have remaining is that when I go into Studio Manager, the whole config is blank. i.e. When I go into “File”, “Setup” and look under the left hand column called “Device Editor” there is not alot there, in fact - extreme amounts of nothingness!

Possibly a bum question, but I assume XS Editor VST 1.2.0 is sufficient and you don’t have to have 1.1.1 installed or something funky like that?

Thx in advance :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 01:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you want to use STUDIO MANAGER then you downloaded the wrong version of the Editor.

The STUDIO MANAGER version of the EDITOR is at version 1.1.1

The difference is you downloaded the Motif XS Editor VST (which runs inside of Cubase and addresses the XS as an external VST Instrument) quite a bit different. If you have or want to use the Motif XS with an Audio Interface then the VST version will be of significant use to you. If you are not yet ready for audio integration or if you do not yet have an audio interface, you may want to simply download and install the STUDIO MANAGER version of the XS Editor.

Go to the following page and download the Motif XS Editor version 1.1.1 (February 3, 2009) scroll down the page a bit

http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html

Once you install this version, it will show up in Studio Manager and will work from within Cubase by going to DEVICES > STUDIO MANAGER > You will be able to setup the Motif XS Editor as an icon in the Studio Manager Workspace.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 02:46 PM
zoueva
Total Posts:  56
Joined  02-15-2009

Greetings to everyone on this forum!!!
Mr. Phil (aka Bad Mister) can you, please, explain to me in just a few words what would be the main advantage to use VST version of the Editor? 

<>
I have XS with Mlan, N12 and Macbook setup running now and just installed VST Editor last night.
I would really appretiate your input on this issue.
Thank you in advance.
AZ

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 03:50 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Thanks B_M for clearing that up :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

This is hijacking the thread, but since it is related, hopefully the original poster will not mind.

The Motif XS Editor VST version is primarly a way to increase flexibility for those ready for the next step in our STUDIO CONNECTIONS initiative. If you recall (pun intended) one of the first items introduced with Studio Connections was a way to integrate hardware from your studio into the world of computer-based music production.

“RECALL” was the first thing. A way to recall all the settings of your hardware devices when you reopened a computer-based Project. The computer (which is still best at organizing) is an ideal place to store all the Voices, effects, settings, etc., that you create during the setup. So for the Motif-series keyboards and modules this meant, recalling all the MIXING or MULTI setups and all the settings for each and every Voice you used, additionally, every potential Voice you may switch to via Program Changes.

“AUDIO INTEGRATION” is the next step… And until the Editor VST version the only way to integrate the audio outputs of your Motif-series synth was to have the top of the line version of Cubase (which at the time was Cubase SX3.1.1 and later, Cubase 4 and now Cubase 5). These top of the line versions of Cubase offer something called EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT… which allowed you to take advantage of including synthesizer engines that did not exist on the CPU of the computer.

Without getting into an argument about CPU based synthesis versus External hardware synthesis, if you own a great hardware synthesizer and you want to use it in the computer-based music production world you had only limited functionality… what the EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT function did (along with the EXTERNAL EFFECT function) was allow Cubase users to include external devices into their computer-based music production with the same convenience and functions that internal VSTi and VST FX were doing. So if you had real hardware synthesizers and effect processors why shouldn’t you be able to use them?

This was possible because of the advanced delay compensation functions within the top versions of Cubase… its ability to measure, diagnose and compensate for any time delay inherited in the advanced routing signal path.

What the VST version of the XS Editor does is bring some of that same functionality (found only in the top-of-the-line Cubase) to all versions of Cubase. You will be able to send MIDI data from Cubase to your XS, and receive RETURNING audio on up to 8 stereo buses.

It also introduces the third level of the Studio Connection initiative: AUTOMATION… allowing you to use the READ/WRITE Automation functions within Cubase.

And it introduces the MediaBay method of archiving and retrieving your Voice libraries.

So to answer your question, the VST version of the Editor is primarily for those who have expanded their Motif XS with an mLAN16E2 (which is built-in on the Motif XS8). It will allow you to route some of your PARTS to assignable outputs… (think of the mLAN outs same as you would individual assignable outputs).

The KEY question is WHEN would want to use the assignable outputs: You would route a PART to an assignable output when you want to process it differently. Here is a short real world example:

I have a file (that we will be posting as soon as the NEW Motifator 3.0 gets a little more established) it has the following MIDI tracks recorded in Cubase:
Track 1 Brass
Track 2 Alto Sax
Track 3 Trumpet
Track 4 Trombone
Track 5 Bari Sax
Track 6 Guitar
Track 7 Organ
Track 8 Bass
Track 10 Drums

We will include instructions for several different scenarios to help you get a handle on the possibilities:

Example 1:
With the VST version of the EDITOR, I can route each PART to the main L&R; Output. The MIDI data of these tracks are routed OUT to the Motif XS and will RETURN as audio in Cubase to a VST Instrument lane. Here I can process that audio with any on-board VST Effects.  Say I want to send the entire mix through a LIMITER for some light peak limiting (to punch the whole mix up).

I can via mLAN monitor the entire mix post CUBASE, so I will hear the processing. I can now use AUDIO MIXDOWN to render (in realtime) a wave file.

Example 2:
Say I decide that the Guitar PART could use some beefing up. In the Motif XS I have the AMP SIMULATOR and the TREMOLO Insertion Effects applied. By routing this Guitar PART to assignable outputs m1&2;(mLAN 1 and 2) I can then process the RETURNING audio lane of the guitar with VST EFFECTS in CUBASE… perhaps adding a Tube Distortion and a Phaser

By routing the Guitar to an assignable output, I remove it from the main output of the Motif XS - this removes it from the SYSTEM EFFECTS, MASTER EFFECTS and MASTER EQ as well. I do so because my goal is to ‘process’ it separately. It does go out the assignable mLAN OUTPUTS with its 2 INSERTION EFFECTS.

I can now hear (monitor) the guitar with the added VST EFFECTS, and I can also use AUDIO MIXDOWN to render (in real time) a wave file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 09:06 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

lol, I decided against my hijacking gag - zoueva, no worries, you prompted some good info here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 04:00 PM
zoueva
Total Posts:  56
Joined  02-15-2009

I’ll be waiting for Bad Mister’s tutorial or postinf a file in the future to use VST editor appropriately. It all sounds good when he expained it, but I need more step by step guidance to implement it.
Pulse, I’m glad that there’s no hard feelings about hijacking your topic. LOL.
AZ

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance question
Next Topic:

cannot get mac pro to recognize midi input ››