mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can you program track volume changes?"

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 10:15 AM
DrDel
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-06-2007

Is there a way to program track volume changes in the ES in a song? That is, can the mix be adjusted within a song so that the mix changes (fader movements) are saved with the song itself?

I think this might have something to do with scene mode in recording, but the manual seems to be very short on anything about scene mode and hunting around in the ES’s menus doesn’t give me any great insights on it.

And with the past posts not being available… I can’t look there.

Or maybe it would be better to use pattern mode and have different mix settings for the sections?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-- DrDel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 12:59 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

The Motif ES’s sequencer does record volume changes affected by moving the volume sliders. You can add these to your song by simply setting up the the sequencer to “overdub” record (rather than “replace” or “punch in") and then playing back the song (while recording) as it exists and adjusting the sliders as desired.

If you are looking for one time discrete volume changes to the tracks in your song, you could also simply edit these tracks and insert the appropriate control change command (CC=07 for volume or CC=11 for expression) into each track at the appropriate location.

Finally, as you suggest you could also make mix changes and store these as scenes and then setup a scene track with the appropriate scene changes at the appropriate times.

(By the way, you can access the old fourms - via a backdoor. Since the older Keyfax sites all used a common database for the forums, you can gain access to both the older forums (and your saved PMs and tagged posts) by going to one of the other forums - which haven’t changed - and setting the “?cat” parameter in the url to “?cat=1,2,4”. For example you can access this older content by going to the following url: http://www.01xray.com/forums/index.php?Cat=1,2,4 . Just remember that those older forums have been retired so posting to them probably is not advisable.)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 02:59 PM
DrDel
Joined  01-06-2007

Wow! That’a all great information—as usual from you. I didn’t know overdub could do that! That’s slick. And the backdoor is great.

Where can I find out more about scenes? I’m still very foggy on those.

Thanks again,

DrDel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 03:39 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

The attached information on song scenes is from pages 123-124 of the Motif ES Owner’s Manual.

(Edited: Hmmm… the forum is not letting me attach the image, oh well, just follow the link above… Brad)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 06:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

A Scene is a stored set of MIXING and SEQUENCER settings. This term comes to us from the Yamaha digital mixers and hard disk recorders, where a “snapshot” of settings can be recalled at anytime either manually or via automation. It is very much like recalling a pre-set set of parameters same as a program change event would recall, except this recalls sequencer mix settings. Imagine being able to recall all fader settings, all pan positions, etc., instantaneously. The Motif ES allows five such snapshots to be taken and then recalled at the press of a button. The SCENE is stored to the Sub-Function buttons [SF1]-[SF5] in a simple gesture: hold down [STORE] + [SFx] to take the ‘snapshot’. You will find these SCENES in SONG mode. They can be a very useful part of your musical composition construction.

Track Mute status is simply whether a track is set to output its MIDI data or not. To the right of the sixteen track buttons on the ES front panel you will find a [MUTE/SOLO] button. When it is illuminated the 16 Track LEDS will show the current status of the corresponding Track. If a Track LED is lit, then it is audible, if a Track LED is off, then the track is “muted”. This means the track will no longer send data to the internal or any connected external tone generator. You can at anytime manually Mute Tracks but you can also automate this procedure within the linear timeline of the sequencer (that is, either in a PATTERN CHAIN or in SONG mode). There is a dedicated event called a TRACK MUTE Event – this is independent of the SCENE.

SCENE parameters memorized per snapshot in the Motif XS:
·Tempo: The current tempo as shown on the main screen

·Transpose: The Transpose as shown on the main screen – which will transpose all PARTS except those containing a Drum Kit. Drum Kit tracks are not transposed as this would cause drum sounds to be different

·Play Effect: Play FX include GROOVE: Velocity shift, Note Shift, Clock Shift, etc.

·Volume (cc007): Fader settings for all 16 PARTS

·Pan (cc010): The current pan position is documented for all 16 PARTS

·Reverb Send (cc091): Send amount settings for each of the 16 PARTS

·Chorus Send (cc093): Send amount settings for each of the 16 PARTS

·Filter Cutoff Frequency (cc074): settings for each of the 16 PARTS

·Filter Resonance (cc071): settings for each of the 16 PARTS

·AEG Attack (cc073): settings for each of the 16 PARTS

·AEG Release (cc072): settings for each of the 16 PARTS

Additionally, a SCENE snapshot will remember the current Track Mute status. This turns them into very powerful tools indeed. This means you can change the entire tenor of the mix of the SONGat anytime. Change the fidelity of the mix… make it sound filtered, far away, crystal clear, make it sound like it is underwater, inside out…break it down to a few instruments, and so on.

PLAY EFFECTS are found in SONG mode at [F2] GROOVE and allow you to change the “feel” of any track. This can be done initially non-destructively, meaning it is flexible and not permanent. However, you can normalize (make those changes permanent) if you wish… Using the NORMALIZE PLAY EFFECT job.

SONG Mode and the Scene Track

There are 5 SONG SCENES - the buttons are located directly below your screen. You can record as many MUTE events to the Scene track as you need. MUTE EVENTS are a separate type of event. Although SCENES include what track is playing, MUTE events only remember what track is playing. Therefore, while all 5 SCENE events include MUTING, not all MUTE events are Scenes. You can insert TRACK MUTE events into a SONG track anytime you need to mute a track.

Storing a SCENE simply memorizes the current conditions. You hold [Store] + [SF] button 1-5. “Snap” you have taken a snapshot. It says in the screen briefly, “SCENE STORED”. The transport does not even need to be running to create the SCENE snapshot. Recalling a Scene can be done at anytime by simply pressing the SCENE button. You can “automate” the recall of SCENE snapshots and Track Mute status events by recording them to a special SONG mode track, the Scene Track. Events that are written on to the SCENE track are MUTE button presses and SCENE Memory recalls. A SCENE recall is simply pressing a SF button while the SCENE track is record ready and the transport is running.

One SCENE is a record of ‘what’s happening now’. If tracks are muted when you take the snapshot - they will be recalled as is, it is that simple.
Song Mode has a SCENE Track. You can select the SCENE track as your real time record track or you can insert Events directly to the SCENE Track via the SONG EDIT screen.

While there are five SCENE snapshot memories, you can insert as many Track Mute status events as you require. While the Scene track is in record pressing the [SF1]-[SF5] buttons or the sixteen Track MUTE buttons will create the events – same as if you inserted them manually. Events can be moved and/or edited as required.

·Press [SONG]
·Press [EDIT]
·Press [F4] TRACK SEL

The [F4] TRACK SEL button will toggle (3-way toggle) between a normal numbered Track Edit 1-16, the Scene Track and the Tempo Track. 

To record directly to the SCENE Track in real time, simply activate the RECORD button and move the cursor to RecTrack and use the DATA WHEEL to select the SCENE Track. If you need to get back to initial conditions, simply store the initial conditions as one of your five SCENES.

And it highly recommended that you do store the initial conditions as one of your SCENES. Otherwise the last SCENE recalled will remain in effect until you recall another Scene (or you recall the Song).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 04:43 PM
DrDel
Joined  01-06-2007

THANKS Brad and Bad_Mister! You guys are amazing. This info is great, and it opens a whole new area up in the ES for me. That instrument is incredible. I’ve had mine for a bit more than 2 years, and it continues to amaze me every day. If it weren’t for this forum and all of the great people who keep up with it, I would still be scratching my head on just about everything. You are very much appreciated.

-- DrDel

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pls Help with memory..
Next Topic:

Es or Xs ?? ››