mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vista 32 and Vista 64 compatible drivers"

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 05:42 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

I wonder.

In case you have a PC with VISTA 64 bit machine, does the drivers on Yamahasynt, such as Steinberg extensions 1.4.1, Studio Manager 2.3.0 etc. work on 64 bit PC with Vista.

I mean is Vista 64 bit downwards compatible with Vista 32-bit software.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 07:19 AM
tnicoson
Total Posts:  53
Joined  10-17-2008

Jan,

You have hit on the very key to successful 64 bit Windows operation - the drivers.  64 bit Windows requires 64 bit drivers.  It will not load or even allow you to install 32 bit drivers.  If you have a 32 bit application, it will run in 32 bit compatibility mode, but it will still use the 64 bit drivers.  The yamahasynth.com site has 32 bit and 64 bit USB-Midi and USB-Audio drivers.  Once I downloaded the 64 bit drivers, I was all set.  They are so generic, that not only do I use them with Studio Manager, they also work with my MM6, my PSR-3000, my Casio WK-3800, my Fostex digital recorder and my DigiTech guitar multi-effects processors.

Regards !

Ted

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 07:28 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Ted,

I think it is nice USB drivers are suitable for 64 bit Vista. But I need Steinberg extension driver 1.4.1 for a 64 bit PC with Vista 64-bit and I suppose Cubase 4.5.2 will work as well with 64 bit Vista.

So when Yamahasynt offers driver software for Windows Vista without mentioning whether its suitable for 32-bit or 64 bit Vista it will be a gamble whether it works or not in a 64 bit PC?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 09:44 AM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Hi Jan,

A few points if I may: -

1. A driver is one thing.
2. A set of Extensions is different thing
3. You frquently mention an extension driver; a term which is both confusing and non-existant.

Sorry if the following is patronising but in light of your post, it bears mentioning: -

1. The ‘driver’ allows your hardware to communicate with your computer’s operating system

2. The extensions ’extend’ the integration of the XS with Cubase by renaming the ports, offering useful templates and making the XS available in the list of control surfaces in the device setup in Cubase. Song import is another feature; I cannot remember the others!

So the extensions are convenient but not essential.

What is essential is the driver. On x64 Vista, while 32bit ’applications’ can function correctly, a driver, (which accesses both the OS and the hardware directly of course), MUST be a 64bit driver

Few people (it would seem), have noticed that a 64 bit YSFW driver is already available on the MR816 pages at Steinberg. It does however include a caveat that says it does not work with systems with RAM >4GB !!??.

Hope this helps.

B

PS If you ask for an ‘Extension Driver’ one more time, we shall be left with no option but to report you to the RSPCM.

(Royal Society for the Prevention of Misnomers)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 01:12 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Boulez,

Please do not report me. I will not mention any more steinberg extension drivers. I promise. LOL.

What I ment is do the software programs like, studio manager, XS editor, and the steinberg extension software work on a 64 bit Vista machine?

I do understand now that the mLAN tool driver V1.6.3 does not work on a Vista 64 bit machine. For that we have to wait on the promised Yamaha/Steinberg Fire wire driver for 64 bit Vista.

However they do not talk about a Yamaha Steinberg Fire wire driver for Vista 32-bit (unicode compatible) for Cubase 5.

Again a silly question, does the YSFW driver 64 bit also work on a Vista 32-bit machine. Why is Yamaha not mentioning a 32-bit Visa version, while they mention a 64 bit version instead?

This is very confusing for a non computer expert like me.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 04:34 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Hi Jan,

Look here:
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=1181&L=1

and you will see both a 32 and 64 bit YSFW driver. Ignore the Editor and the extensions for the MR816 (unless you have one of course!).

The 64bit VST Editor is already up but the Extensions for Steinberg DAW are to be posted Mar 3.This is for compatibility with Cubase 5 and 64 bit Vista.

If you have an XS and have updated the 1394 firmware to 1.06, I think you are ‘good to go’ using either the 32 bit driver and 32bit VST Editor or the 64bit version of both depending on whether you have a 64 or 32 bit OS.

Don’t forget to choose FW (not mLan) in the XS utility. You will have to wait for the extensions but that should not stop you getting started.

I don’t think the YSFW driver to to be posted on Yamahasynth on Mar 3rd is a different driver to the one I mention above although hopefully they will have fixed the amusing 4GB limit. Perhaps this limit is the German idea of irony!

The above is a (slightly) educated guess so please don’t scream at me when you discover what a crock I have posted! :))_

Best,

B

PS Simple answer to your question is: - Keep everything ‘all 32bit’ or keep everything ‘all 64 bit’.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ What’s the deal with the new forum?
Next Topic:

Help! Autoload sounds from soundbanks ››