mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sustaining notes using 2nd keyboard"

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 10:04 AM
Rob'n
Total Posts:  153
Joined  10-30-2007

I have a question of which I am afraid that the answer is that it is not possible:

I use a 2nd keyboard to control the XS, only playing notes, all the sound comes from the XS. I play with this keyboard on channel 2.

When I create a Master with Zones active, I can set the key range of channel 2 from c-1 to c-1, so the motif won’t play notes on channel 2, but the 2nd keyboard will. This way I can use the sustain pedal attached to the motif also for sustaining notes of the 2nd keyboard.

Right now I have a few multi’s in which I want to switch a lot between the tracks to switch sounds. So I can’t create a Master with Zones active because then I can’t switch between the tracks via the buttons.

Does anybody know another way to use one sustain pedal for both keyboards?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 02:28 PM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Does anybody know another way to use one sustain pedal for both keyboards?

I’m pretty sure I don’t understand your question fully, but if you are controlling the XS from another master keyboard via MIDI, the sustain pedal information from the master keyboard should be transmitted to the slave (XS). The sustain function will work both locally (master kybd) and remotely (XS).

HTH

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 04:20 PM
Rob'n
Joined  10-30-2007
Wastrel - 23 February 2009 02:28 PM

I’m pretty sure I don’t understand your question fully, but if you are controlling the XS from another master keyboard via MIDI, the sustain pedal information from the master keyboard should be transmitted to the slave (XS). The sustain function will work both locally (master kybd) and remotely (XS).

HTH

Bob

Thank you for your reply.
I am not using the second keyboard as a master, I have all the setups programmed on the motif. I just use the 2nd keyboard for extra keys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 04:35 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Rob’n

Part of what you you said was: ‘I use a 2nd keyboard to control the XS, only playing notes, all the sound comes from the XS. I play with this keyboard on channel 2.’

As Bob stated above, with a proper midi connection, your sustain pedal will transmit to the XS just fine - but with the way you have it set up, only on channel 2. If you want to trigger performances on the XS, then set the controller keyboard to channel 1.

The simplest way to have the XS not sound at all is to pull the volume off.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 05:33 AM
Rob'n
Joined  10-30-2007
SpongeBob - 23 February 2009 04:35 PM

The simplest way to have the XS not sound at all is to pull the volume off.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I think I should write it down more clearly.

Problem is: I want the XS to sound, I use the 2nd keyboard only to trigger notes on the XS. Like to keep it simple: I have a multi on the XS with piano on channel 1 and brass on channel 2. I play the piano on the XS keyboard and use a 2nd keyboard, transmitting on channel 2, to play the brass.

So now I want to use 1 sustain pedal to sustain notes on both channel 1 and 2 at the same time.
I can achieve this by creating a master setup with 2 zones and set the keyrange of channel 2 to an unplayable range. This way the XS keyboard won’t trigger notes on channel 2, but the 2nd keyboard will. But the sustain pedal, connected to the motif, will sustain on both channels because both channels are active on the XS and receive all controller commands.

But like I said, this works for rather simple setups, if I want to switch between tracks in a multi to switch sounds, I can’t use zones in a master setup.

Cheers,

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help with Motif XS6 hardware problem
Next Topic:

Assignable Functions ››