mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help with Motif XS6 hardware problem"

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 10:01 AM
jackburton2007
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-23-2009

MY XS6 just developed a strange problem - a number of the buttons on the control surface just stopped working - for no obvious reason, no physical movement of the keyboard, its only ever been in my home-based project studio.

I have my XS6 sitting on my audio desk as my main keyboard, hooked up to a couple of modules and to my computer via USB and mLAN. Everything was fine until I went to change a voice, my Dec/No button stopped working. After experimentation with the buttons a bit I then reinitialized with the Factory Set, hoping this would help, no luck.

A few moments later I discovered that other buttons also didn’t work.- nearly all of the Bank Select buttons in the second row starting with User 2 to Ethnic; in the bottom two rows of Performance Control buttons, buttons 1 and 9 - the two leftmost buttons - are also unresponsive. And one more, the File button.

One more thing: when I switch to Song or Pattern mode and press Mute all the green LEDs in the Performance Control section light up except buttons 1 and 9, two of the buttons I mentioned above.

So far I’ve tried reinitializing a few times, removing all audio and signal cables, power cycling etc but nothing makes a difference. I was hoping this was just one of those funny ‘foobar states’ that digital systems get into once in a blue moon and the ‘return to normal’ action would help - nope, not a sign of it.

I’m really bummed out ‘cause I just got my system set up the way I wanted it, working hard on getting everything copasetic with Cubase AI and my hardware, and now this! Does anybody now how to run the system diagnostics? Or anything else that I can do? I have lots of hardware experience, computers and keys - I’ve opened up many synths in the past, replaced the system ROMS in my old, great sounding EX5 more than once, for example.

Help! Anything I can do before I send my baby into the shop for repair?

Cheers,

JB

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 02:18 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Try removing the mLan Card and any Sample RAM you may have added.

No reason to assume these might be faulty but if either of them were, it might explain all sorts of problems.

OK I know it;s a really annoying question but are you certain no-one could possibly have spilled anything on the board as this sounds like the most feasible explanation?

Housekeeper being really ‘helpful’ maybe?

“Hello Mr Burton, I’ve given that nice Japanese piano a good spray with furniture polish for you”

Good luck

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 03:41 PM
jackburton2007
Joined  02-23-2009

>>Housekeeper being really ‘helpful’ maybe?

>>“Hello Mr Burton, I’ve given that nice Japanese piano a good spray with furniture polish for you”

Hey Boulez, i’m Jack to my friends! No, we still have a Steinway 7’ Grand Piano in the apartment, but for my XS I might consider a DayGlo Blue metal flake paint job with 50 coats of gloss finish - :jk.

Gave it a shot with the mLAN board and RAM, out for test then back in. same as it ever was. (Anyone know where the smileys are on this BBS software? Imagine a glum look here).

I know that Yamaha has had built in diagnostics going back to the DX7 days but you need a magic code to access them;-). Sometimes you also get access to fancy and possibly risky operations to fiddle with the internals of the system set up - I can handle it guys, if I’m left with sending it in for repair (under warranty I hope, haven’t checked yet) why not let me take a shot at it on my own and see what I can do?

BTW I googled ‘Yamaha Motif XS diagnostics’, a couple of ways, before posting to the board here, nothing useful showed up - did see a post on DX7II diagnostcs tho.

Cheers,

JB

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 05:07 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

We sent you a private message with some information.  Hope that info helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
jackburton2007
Joined  02-23-2009

Thanks YamahaUS for the info - I tried it out and am following up with YCA thru the CS line, looks like I have a hardware problem.

Cheers,

JB

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Voice different in Song Mode
Next Topic:

Sustaining notes using 2nd keyboard ››