mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to perform a crescendo?"

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 07:15 PM
Eric Flanigan
Total Posts:  36
Joined  08-26-2008

Hi Everyone…

A search came up empty.

In the context of using a DAW operating as a midi sequencer:

I’m curious to know how to perform/apply a crescendo effect to a recorded midi clip that for instance is triggering a large string section as the voice?

Reviewing the manual, I’m looking at possible CC # 011?

A gradual rise in velocity for a single note event over time is mind boggling...I can wrap my mind around a repeating percussive hit that increases in velocity over time, but not a single event.

I also stumbled onto CAT (channel after touch), but this may be voice related and not a CC event at all that can be edited...still working on that one.

I’d like to mimic an intesifying orchestra ensemble.

Thanks fellow Motifators,

Flan
XS-6, Windows Vista, Tracktion 3

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 07:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Crescendo, as you are correctly reasoning is quite different for a held note than it would be for a triggered event instrument.

A crescendo for drums or piano (percussion instruments both) would be handled by increasing the velocity of the NOTE-ON events.

If you have a bowed string instrument or a blown instrument (Woodwind or brass) an increase in Volume easily could take place during a held note. In that case cc (Control Change) message 011 Expression is the correct way to handle this.

“Expression” is a change in volume level during a performance. Although similar to cc007 Channel Volume, cc011 Expression is used to give you a performing volume change.

For example, cc007 is the Volume you set for the MIDI channel. Say you know you want the maximum for the String Volume to be 101 (on the MIDI 000~127 scale)… in other words, you determine at no time would the strigns ever need to be louder than 101 for this particular mix.

A Foot Controller or slider sending cc007 would send 0 at the minimum (heel-down) setting and 127 at the maximum (toe-down) setting. You would be hard pressed to work that volume and precisely stop at 101 (on purpose).

Enter Expression. You can set the VOLUME of the MIDI Channel to 101 and then use cc011 Expression. Here a Foot Controller sending cc011 would be 0 at minimum (heel-down) but when you advanced the pedal toward full toe-down position, the maximum would never exceed the CHANNEL VOLUME setting 101.

So Expression allows you to work within a defined maximum… musically this is very useful.

Plug an FC7 pedal in the the Foot Controller 1 jack on the back panel of the XS. The default for this pedal is cc011 EXPRESSION.

If you are using a DAW software you may have options to draw in controllers with a pencil… a few trial and errors and you should be able to get the volume crescendo that you need.

If you are working in the XS sequencer you have the SEQUENCER JOB functions:

“CRESCENDO” when applying it to the percussion (triggered event) family of instruments. This will work with VELOCITY… and is technically speaking, a crescendo.

“CREATE CONTINUOUS DATA” > CONTROL CHANGE 011 Expression when applying it to a bowed or blown (self-oscillating) family of instruments… where you may need to increase or decrease the output level during a held note…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 07:58 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Edited: It appears that Bad_Mister beat me to an answer, and I haven’t figured out how to delete posts yet in the new forums… oh wel.

Brad

Eric,

If the recorded MIDI clip is in the XS’s song sequencer, you easily add a crescendo to that part using the [SONG]-->[JOB]-->[F3] Event-->05: Create Continuous Data job. Simply specify event type of “Control Change”, a CC number of “07 - Volume” and the range of volumes you wish as well as the time between each increase in volume and the “Curve” to be applied to these changes. For more information, see page 202 of the Motif XS Owner’s Manual.

(If you want all channels to be affected by the volume change, you can specify and event type of System Exclusive rather than CC.)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Is there a way to upload songs?
Next Topic:

Double-sided sdram ››