mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Equalization or what?"

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 10:27 AM
Wilmar Jr
Total Posts:  20
Joined  02-14-2009

I finished my first song in my Motif XS and in the headphones it sounds great in the mix and balance. I Transformed it into a wav sample, but, when played it in my sound system - or even in computer -, the sound was not weight - even with some distortion in bass - and opaque.

Any clue? Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 01:23 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Oh, I forgot… Please!!! =)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 02:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Most definitely in the way in which you “transformed” it into a .wav

Unfortunately, you did not give us any details as to how that occurred.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 03:58 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Excuse me, Bad Mister.

I just used your very cool tutorial of “how to make a WAV for CD/MP3 creation”. In this case, through the “resampling” function, step by step, as you taught.

My music has 16 tracks and, as I said, it sounds well mixed in my headphones, with weight, presence and brightness. However, when I make the WAV file, the quality goes to space, even with the “normalize” job.

What is happening, sir?

Maybe you can get an little idea of what I’m talking about if you hear the mp3 of it.

File Attachments
3.mp3  (File Size: 5945KB - Downloads: 645)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 04:12 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Oh, and thanks for reply, Bad Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 04:39 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Ops… Sorry, everyone.

I was wrong, that is not the last version from my song. It wasnt mixed yet.

So, THIS is the last - and definitive - version (with a Carl Sagan’s speech):

File Attachments
Ship of the Imagination.mp3  (File Size: 5945KB - Downloads: 1245)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 04:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to hear here… What does “...the quality goes to space...” mean, exactly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 04:54 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Well, dont you think that it sounds too flat, too “punchless”? Where is the equalization that was amazing in my headphones when connected in XS?

PS. I used VCM Compressor in it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 10:55 PM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Anybody?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 11:21 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

I haven’t heard the mp3 (might check it tomorrow, work permitting) but there will usually be a perceived difference between a sequencer mix and a sample/resample of it.

MP3 in particular is a bad medium for hi-fidelity music reproduction as the compresison algorithm removes a lot of material from the original source which degrades the quality. This is usually perceived as a ‘flatness’ or ‘lack of vitality’ in the sound, and results from a loss of dynamics and an increased noise floor.

The best way to capture your XS recording is to plug it into a good quality external CD/DVD/SACD/DAT/Digital recorder and record the results (perhaps through a gentle multiband compressor) before ripping to CD.

If this is not possible it may well be worth buying a half-decent external USB soundcard for your PC and recording via S/P DIF or audio through that (any software should do for capture in this case - Audacity is fine).

If you are getting consistently bad results from internal resampling then maybe you should look at external solutions. Certainly I always fine external recording is better than resampling.

In any event you can expect to lose a small amount of ‘sparkle’ from your original recording… this is a natural side effect of the recording proceess and mileage may vary depending on the Analogue-to-Digital conversion you use (ie: external soundacard, CD recorder, multitrack etc).

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 03:12 AM
Wilmar Jr
Joined  02-14-2009

Thanks for the reply, DF.

However, in resampling mode I dont make a mp3 file from a midi file, but Wav file. The lost of harmonic and frequencies arent the same, isnt?

But the Audacity idea maybe is the answer for my problem.

I hope that you enjoy the music.

Wimar Jr.

[ Ignore ]