mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Feature Request Concerning Assignable Outputs"

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 09:49 AM
uli_p
Total Posts:  53
Joined  03-02-2007

I would like to add a feature request for a future OS update concerning the assignable outputs:

I would like to see the possibility to easily send the same signal that goes to the main L&R;outputs to the assignable outputs; best way of implementing this imho would be to add it as an option to the Utility I/O [F2] screen. It should be implemented on system level, to avoid having to reprogram it for every patch / perfomance / mixing.

I would use this option for playing live, feeding my monitors with the stereo signal from one output, and the FOH with a mono or stereo signal from the other (depending on the setup). I also imagine it could come in handy in a small home studio setting, allowing to use two pairs of speakers.

I know that I could use a mixer for that. Just looking for ways to reduce the amount of gear that I need to carry around.

Let me know what you think.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 11:40 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“I would use this option for playing live, feeding my monitors with the stereo signal from one output, and the FOH with a mono or stereo signal from the other (depending on the setup). I also imagine it could come in handy in a small home studio setting, allowing to use two pairs of speakers.”

This is unlikely as you have defined the one instance where a “Y” cable is actually recommended. Sending a signal to multiple destinations is easily solved with a signal splitter. Most sound people will know how to split a signal for multiple destinations; it is done all the time.

As to small home studio setting the dual pair of monitors is currently possible - You can route signal for monitors “A” from the main L&R;output, and setup a second pair of monitors “B” on the Assignable L&R;Outputs. This is how many users have their Motif XS setup in small home studio settings… you can route signal to either monitor pair from within your software application. Using the IEEE1394/mLAN routing you can setup multiple monitor outputs when using the Motif XS as your soundcard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 08:02 AM
uli_p
Joined  03-02-2007

Bad_Mister,

thank you very much for your reply, especially for reminding me of the routing options of mlan. I have barely scratched the surface of the possibilities of the mlan interface…

As to live use, I haven’t made myself very clear. The setup I had in mind was monitoring myself in stereo and feeding a mono signal to the house. As far as I understand, combining stereo signals to mono is not done as easily. But as I said, I know that I can use a little mixer for that. By the way, I highly appreceate your contribution to this forum, and I have learnt a million things from your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

uli_p

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2009 @ 06:53 AM
uli_p
Joined  03-02-2007

No Input?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2009 @ 06:55 AM
uli_p
Joined  03-02-2007

Uuups - Sorry. Wrong thread. Impossible to delete the above post, because I can’t see it.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS8 and MR816 Setup ? ? ?
Next Topic:

Equalization or what? ››