mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI channels?"

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 01:04 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

I’m trying to transfer a Song with 6 tracks from my MO8 to Cubase LE 4 via USB. The problem I’m having is that the MIDI data from all 6 tracks is recording on each track in Cubase instead of separately.

So instead of Cubase track 1 equaling MO8 track 1, 2=2, etc. Cubase is recording MO8 track 1-6 to Cubase track 1, MO 1-6 to Cubase track 2, etc.

I’m trying to follow the manual as best I can. I’m using the Quick Setup #2 “Recording Internal Sequencer to Computer”, and I’ve checked the track settings in my song and the OUT CH for each track is correctly assigned 1-16 and all are set to Port 1.

If I solo each track on the MO8 I can record properly, but that means I have to repeat the process 6 times! Shouldn’t I be able to do this all at once with each track recording MIDI data separately?

I hope my explanation is clear. Sorry if this has already been asked, but archives are not yet available for search. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 01:53 PM
norashiba
Total Posts:  5
Joined  02-27-2009

Well lets see. The Mo8 has 16 midi tracks right,humm lets see. You can try this in theory. Open up Cubase, Open up 6 new midi tracks(blank tracks). What you want to do now is hold down CTRL and at the sametime click on with your mouse each track in cubase so they are all high lighted. The trick is to have all of the tracks highlighed so they will record at the sametime with separate data. Now depending on the version of cubase that you have it may restrict you to the number of tracks that can be recorded at the sametime.

In cubase go to your midi port for each track and make sure they are set accordingly. In theory the set up would look like this.

Cubase -match midi ports on keyboard- (Highlight all tracks)
1-midi port track—drums
2-midi port track—bass
2-midi port track—piano
4-midi port track—organ
5-midi port track—cymbol
6-midi port track—snare

Keybord—push play when ready to record in cubase
1-midi port track—drums
2-midi port track—bass
3-midi port track—piano
4-midi port track—organ
5-midi port track—cymbol
6-midi port track—snare

Hope this helps somewhat.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 11:46 PM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

Just record one track. Cubase has a midi command to separate a track into tracks by channels. Can’t remember what it’s called (mad cow) but it’s in there if you look for it.

Not sure if LE has it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

Here’s what I’ve done to achieve this, two different ways.

1. Do what Tacman7 suggests, but I think you have to save your song as a SMF on usb stick first, then import midi file into Cubase, it will appear as one track, then use the “Dissolve Part” from the midi menu, and presto you’ll have your separate tracks.

2. If your goal is to simply hit the play button on the MO and have Cubase record the song on separate midi tracks you have some prep to do first. This is a few steps but only has to be done once, assuming you save the Cubase project as a blank template. For each midi track in Cubase use the “input transformer” (squiggly line) to filter out all midi channels but one. For example, on Cubase midi track one be sure “module one” is checked, click “active module one” box, and for “mode” select “filter”. Add a line in the upper “filter target” box that should read “(filter target)channel....(condition)unequal....(parameter)1”. Repeat this for as many channels as you want (unequal = 2,3, etc). I did 16 and then saved the project named filer1-16.cpr or something. Now assuming you’ve synced Cubase and MO you can play the MO song and Cubase will record midi events into same tracks MO is playing.

Then in future you start with this Cubase project, remember to rename it though so you still have your filtering template project.

If there is a simpler way, someone please tell me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2009 @ 07:19 PM
Machuson
Joined  07-09-2008

Thanks for the responses.

I will try some of these things out and let you know what happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2009 @ 11:35 AM
Machuson
Joined  07-09-2008

So I was finally able to give this a go and I just wanted to follow up in case anyone had the same issue in the future.

Both the MIDI “Dissolve Part” and creating channel filters via the “Input Transformer” worked in Cubase LE. I could not find the “Input Transformer” or it’s equivalent in Cubase LE 4.

In my opinion, the Dissolve Part command seems to be the best option. When you execute the command it splits the midi recording into the separate channels and creates a midi track for each. That’s nice, because no matter how many channels you have, whether it’s 4 or 16, you get a midi track for each, and not more than what you need.

Thanks again for the replies! This was a great help and pointed me to the information I needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Old threads
Next Topic:

Can MO6 play MIDI files ? ››